Weather nation (Now available on ch 215)

i talked to accuweather on twitter and they would like to come dish network i told them they need to broadcast in HD and create a app i told them it would be greatly appreciated.
AccuWeather actually supplied the weather info for the original Dish Instant Weather app that used to be on channel 9500 before Dish Home launched, so they have had an app on Dish before. Channel 9500 actually stayed around for awhile, even after The Weather Channel app launched, so Dish might be okay with having multiple weather apps at the same time.

I have Weather Nation on channel 215 and also on a sub OTA channel of NBC. I have switched back and forth between the two channels and never see the same broadcast. I realize that NBC has their recorded portion that they insert, but the Weather Nation portion is never the same broadcast. How many different broadcasts does Weather Nation have. I get some national weather, but mostly SE US weather on the National feed.

Here is the official press release...

WeatherNation Launches on DISH Delivering 24/7 Weather Reporting
Release Date:Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:01 am MDT
Terms:Programming
Dateline City: ENGLEWOOD, Colo.
  • National channel to feature real-time news coverage
  • WeatherNation app debuts on select DISH set-top boxes including the Hopper
  • DISH offers six-week free preview to customers nationwide
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network L.L.C. has launched WeatherNation®, a leading multi-format, local, regional and national television weather news service. The multi-year agreement includes a channel focused on national weather information as well as an interactive app that allows customers to quickly view their local weather.

“DISH customers asked for more weather coverage around the clock,” said Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of programming. “With the addition of WeatherNation’s offerings, our customers have even greater access to weather news and information when it matters most.”

WeatherNation’s interactive app is available on DISH’s award-winning Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR and select other set-top boxes. The app offers DISH customers instant access to the local weather in up to 10 different locations.

“24 hours a day, seven days a week, our certified meteorologists deliver the latest weather news and forecasts,” said Michael Norton, president of WeatherNation. “Moreover, our great relationships with trusted local weather experts across the nation allow us to provide focused weather information at DISH customers’ fingertips on a regional and local basis.”

WeatherNation (Channel 215) will be available to DISH customers nationwide during a six-week free preview and will join the lineup of DISH’s America’s Top 120 programming package and above.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have Weather Nation on channel 215 and also on a sub OTA channel of NBC. I have switched back and forth between the two channels and never see the same broadcast. I realize that NBC has their recorded portion that they insert, but the Weather Nation portion is never the same broadcast. How many different broadcasts does Weather Nation have. I get some national weather, but mostly SE US weather on the National feed.
Is the sub-channel version showing more local or regionalized weather for your area ? If so, they are probably just playing it on a loop and it's never live or even close to it.

I actually like Weather Nation - it's good to see that there is all weather all the time. The format of it reminds me a lot of the Weather Channel back in the 90's. And I don't see anything in the programming guide about "Top 10 Tornadoes" or things like that.
I agree I want news 24 hrs on a News channel, Music on say, GAC, 24 hrs, and weather 24 hrs on a weather channel.

I haven't checked it out yet. Been too busy going thru my daily DVR recordings.

So, a quick question. With the additional channel, are we, as subscribers paying more for two "weather" channels? I mean to ask is the price of TWC + WN (with the latest agreement) > TWC from last year?

If so, *BLEEP!!!*, otherwise... whatever.

Here is the official press release...

WeatherNation Launches on DISH Delivering 24/7 Weather Reporting
Release Date:Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:01 am MDT
Terms:Programming
Dateline City: ENGLEWOOD, Colo.
  • National channel to feature real-time news coverage
  • WeatherNation app debuts on select DISH set-top boxes including the Hopper
  • DISH offers six-week free preview to customers nationwide
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network L.L.C. has launched WeatherNation®, a leading multi-format, local, regional and national television weather news service. The multi-year agreement includes a channel focused on national weather information as well as an interactive app that allows customers to quickly view their local weather.

“DISH customers asked for more weather coverage around the clock,” said Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of programming. “With the addition of WeatherNation’s offerings, our customers have even greater access to weather news and information when it matters most.”

WeatherNation’s interactive app is available on DISH’s award-winning Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR and select other set-top boxes. The app offers DISH customers instant access to the local weather in up to 10 different locations.

“24 hours a day, seven days a week, our certified meteorologists deliver the latest weather news and forecasts,” said Michael Norton, president of WeatherNation. “Moreover, our great relationships with trusted local weather experts across the nation allow us to provide focused weather information at DISH customers’ fingertips on a regional and local basis.”

WeatherNation (Channel 215) will be available to DISH customers nationwide during a six-week free preview and will join the lineup of DISH’s America’s Top 120 programming package and above.
YES! I didn't think it would turn out this way according to a few articles ealier this month saying TWC could be in trouble with upcoming renewals.

This has been a Good Week! WN and App comes to DISH on the rumored date, DISH doesn't drop TWC right away, DISH renews TWC, and either TWC lets DISH keep WN or DISH puts it's foot down and signs WN!

Now DISH has 2 Weather Channels and 2 Apps! More than DTV I think.(I mean Apps)

There are 2 things I don't understand. DISH Adding/Dropping of TWC and TWCast in happened in May 2010, why did we have this a month early?
Also, do we really need 213 for TWC Weather? WN's App doesn't have a channel, it runs though DISH Home, like it used to do before 213.

So, a quick question. With the additional channel, are we, as subscribers paying more for two "weather" channels? I mean to ask is the price of TWC + WN (with the latest agreement) > TWC from last year?

If so, *BLEEP!!!*, otherwise... whatever.

No one knows except certain Dish executives what the combined cost is and if it's more, less or the same as before. But, you are not paying a portion of your bill for two weather channels, you are paying for one weather channel and one weather/reality show channel masquerading as a full time weather channel.

I still do not see the need for a 24 hour national weather channel for the general populous. I also cannot bring myself on board with any 24 hour news Channel. Both of these things should have disappeared with the rise of smartphone. The apps I can see a use for, but the channels I cannot. Most people on the west couldn't care less about what happens weather wise on the East coast. And if we EVER have enough need to fill a 24/7/365 news channels, we are doing it wrong. Right now it is all just fluff to make us feel better, and take our money.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We used to have WN on a subchannel at the TV station where I work. I noticed, at least on the overnight, that the same half-hour would repeat numerous times.

Any 24 hour channel, whether it be news or weather, is very handy to leave on in an office or waiting room too... For weather junkies, leaving WN on in the background is neat. In this office, the Sirius jazz channel left on has just been replaced by WN. There's no way anyone would want "what used to be TWC" left on with stupid Fat Guys In Woods or The Tornado That Touched Down In 2012 mess on.
Great move Dish...