What happened to being the HD leader?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My local cable company, Blue Ridge Communications is really picking up as well. They have 56 Real HD channels, Not 30 HD rsn's or 30 PPV's inflating their count like D* and E*. Its too bad the Dvr sucks or I would have cable.

My local cable company, Blue Ridge Communications is really picking up as well. They have 56 Real HD channels, Not 30 HD rsn's or 30 PPV's inflating their count like D* and E*. Its too bad the Dvr sucks or I would have cable.

how's the pic quality?

Why? Both sat companies have more than 56 REAL HD channels at this point right?

In my area, Dish or Direct both completely blow away the ONLY alternative, comcrap which has about 10 real HD channels. (Not counting locals, and the 3 premium HD channels)

Comcrap's on demand was fun, but buggy and we got tired of watching the same shows over and over.

Cable internet, on the other hand, was much faster than qwest dsl we have now (6 meg down, .768 up) and supposedly some time in 2009, we will have up to 50/10 mbps from comcast with docsis 3.0 - I will have to cancle my DSL and go back :)

I just upgraded my phone at the T store & played around with their Uverse box & it was quite impressive (We only have Comcast & Uverse as majors in Chicago). Uverse is about a mile from my house & is scheduled to be here in the spring; I will be getting the 18mbs Internet package but they can keep the TV bundle (though it's cheaper if you add the local package). Funny thing about it was a bunch of us were watching the Titans & Ravens on their Dish feed (The Uverse feed was on a recorded loop) & the snow knocked out the dish with the game knotted at 7. The sales people started talking crap to the customers & I told them to send someone up on the roof because it was a good game. I really believe that outage cost them a few Dish subs when in reality it was the worst storm we've had this year. Nobody was "qualified" to attempt repairs on the dish at that time, or more simply, nobody had a ladder.

Its funny I havent seen any of the "we have the most HD channels" commercials in a quite awhile.

There was a time where DirecTV was clearly the "Undisputed Leader" in HD. Those days are gone. Many companies (Dish, FIOS, some cable, etc.) are catching up.

For Sports and HD, DirecTV is still the best choice, but it takes the ultimate of fanboys to say that DirecTV is still the "Undisputed Leader". The company, under current management, doesn't seem to be very interested in adding national HD (ESPN-U, AMC-HD, Travel-HD, PBS, etc. etc.). And they certainly haven't lived up to the National HD hype that they trumpeted upon the launch of D11.

For 2009, my best hope is that somebody buys the company and steers it back toward HD dominance.

Jeff
Turd Bird Customer since March, 2008

Im actually very happy with Directv, I cut it on and it works and looks good. I just wish theyd use some of the space they have an add some more channels.

I also wish theyd offer some new packages, preferably HD only.
me too. Especially the HBO package.

It really sucks that so many are ready to leave Directv and they ignore that simple fact.

If anyone is truly pissed, Docsis 3.0 ran at 1 ghz instead of 750 mhz gives the same bandwidth and quality as fios.

If your local cable company is planning on having docsis 3.0 and their plants upgraded to 1 ghz, then you may wanna think about switching in a year or two.

If your local cable company is planning on having docsis 3.0 and their plants upgraded to 1 ghz, then you may wanna think about switching in a year or two.

Where I live, it's gonna be more than a year or two. Our local Comcast plant is an old, run-down, overclocked 550mhz system that Comcast bought from Adelphia. Before switching to DirecTV last year, I asked how long it would take to modernize the system ..... and they basically told me "forever".

Jeff

I don't understand why ALL TV signals aren't broadcast in HD by now. It's really not a new technology anymore. Why is there so much foot dragging on this issue?

The other reason is because there is only so much spectrum up there given to them by the government. HD takes up a lot more spectrum then a SD signal does. Dish and DirecTV have gotten creative over the past few years to obtain more spectrum, but its still not enough for all channels in HD.

Like others have said, Sat is my only option. Armstrong Cable's HD sucks hard and long in my area.

DO any of the mods know if D* has any schedule for adding more National HD or HD premiums????? Is there a new CONUS sat going up for HD anytime?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)