What Happened to Esquire?

Boiler plate from Laila S: "Periodically, DISH evaluates its content in order to provide the best value to our customers. After careful review, as of Saturday 10/01/16, Esquire Network has been removed from DISH's channel lineup."

Thanks for the info, even though it sucks. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Boiler plate from Laila S: "Periodically, DISH evaluates its content in order to provide the best value to our customers. After careful review, as of Saturday 10/01/16, Esquire Network has been removed from DISH's channel lineup."
In other words, the channel has been removed, but your bill won't go down ,even with the loss of this channel.:piethrow

Reactions: bobvick and whitty
How do you now that? Maybe it will go down this January by a few cents or so, before the increase is added... :)

How do you now that? Maybe it will go down this January by a few cents or so, before the increase is added... :)
I bet that DISH rounds up on their price hikes anyway ,so we won't see any difference in the price going lower. But, maybe DISH is removing the lesser viewed channels in order to keep their costs from going up even higher than they want to pay, come January. I hope to have my flex pack price frozen for two years come November- when the credits off finally end.

I bet that DISH rounds up on their price hikes anyway ,so we won't see any difference in the price going lower. But, maybe DISH is removing the lesser viewed channels in order to keep their costs from going up even higher than they want to pay, come January. I hope to have my flex pack price frozen for two years come November- when the credits off finally end.
Thenew again maybe they are maximizing share Holder value

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Whenever a channel is removed, there are always a lot of people who say "who cares, never watched that channel." Whether it's a lesser cable channel or AMC or a local NBC or ESPN or whatever.

But some people do. We watched occasionally, nothing "critical" but we did check it off as available when we recently moved from Directv to Dish.

The bottom line, one channel got removed from our lineup. No biggie if you don't watch it, but one option is removed. And I agree, I assume the savings will just go into Dish's pocket. For me - hey, use that to get TVLand in HD (with the original series they have now it hurts me to watch them in SD - we just don't watch SD - and the previews they show are in HD, to rub salt in the wound.) But I assume some people did watch. And since MOST Dish subscribers don't read forums like this, they won't have any idea why the channel just disappeared.

Whenever a channel is removed, there are always a lot of people who say "who cares, never watched that channel." Whether it's a lesser cable channel or AMC or a local NBC or ESPN or whatever.

But some people do. We watched occasionally, nothing "critical" but we did check it off as available when we recently moved from Directv to Dish.

The bottom line, one channel got removed from our lineup. No biggie if you don't watch it, but one option is removed. And I agree, I assume the savings will just go into Dish's pocket. For me - hey, use that to get TVLand in HD (with the original series they have now it hurts me to watch them in SD - we just don't watch SD - and the previews they show are in HD, to rub salt in the wound.) But I assume some people did watch. And since MOST Dish subscribers don't read forums like this, they won't have any idea why the channel just disappeared.
The same can be said of the opposite. Whenever a channel is added there are a lot of people who say "who cares, I'm never going to watch that channel." And yes, the bottom line is, someone is going to watch that channel. But, when that channel, or any channel gets so few looks it makes sense to make that channel go away to make room for another....

Reactions: dare2be
The same can be said of the opposite. Whenever a channel is added there are a lot of people who say "who cares, I'm never going to watch that channel." And yes, the bottom line is, someone is going to watch that channel. But, when that channel, or any channel gets so few looks it makes sense to make that channel go away to make room for another....

Yeah, I get evaluating lineups, it's required. But it would be nice if we got an announcement of some type, such as "We replaced Esquire with BBC America" or some such. And again, 99% of Dish viewers don't read forums like this, they just suddenly see a channel disappeared with no explanation. It would be more customer focused, when you remove a channel they are paying for, if everyone would somehow get a banner or something for a short period on that channel explaining what's going on.

Dish is always wondering why so many people drop their service and go to a competitor. One reason is all the dropped channels with no replacements. I have never watched Esquire to be honest but I am still waiting for BBC World News, Military History Channel, OAN, etc. ATT Uverse has all of these and Dish has none. Ovation, Pivot, Al Jazeera, NewsMax, Esquire were all dropped with no substitute.

We missed it immediately. When I am doing other things, I would let NCIS LA marathons run in the background. Have seen them all but never tire of having that running while I am surfing, etc. Yes other channels run it, though very occasionally and only a few episodes at a time. We do have many other options for movies, but this change gives us one less. I was intending to start watching Brewdogs, but guess not now. I did send a complaint off to Dish, for all the good it will do. Do they track how many hours we watch which channels? If so, then I suppose on average it could be one of the least watched, but not in our house. If they don't have this statistic, then how would they know how popular it was? We typically have had it on 191 at least 20 hours a week.

Reactions: JSheridan
I do think DISH could have had a slate for awhile. But since national ratings are so low they probably felt they could handle the few who would care enough to call.
That said however, we don't know if it was over ratings or if they wanted an increase and DISH simply said we are parting ways. Some may feel you are 'owed' something when a channel is dropped, where that comes from I don't understand. There is no guarantee or any set amount of channels you get. Do what I thought normal people do - evaluate if you are getting the channels you want and it's cost, then try another service if it looks better. I don't want anyone to lose a channel they watch what is comical is complaining a channel was lost and somehow you are owed another one, maybe even if you didn't watch it.

As for Tvland it is way past time for HD. I'm disappointed it isn't yet I thought it would be.

I do think DISH could have had a slate for awhile. But since national ratings are so low they probably felt they could handle the few who would care enough to call.
That said however, we don't know if it was over ratings or if they wanted an increase and DISH simply said we are parting ways. Some may feel you are 'owed' something when a channel is dropped, where that comes from I don't understand. There is no guarantee or any set amount of channels you get.

As for Tvland it is way past time for HD.

Thanks for the vote on TVLand HD. ;)

On the "owed" part, I do get it. When you sign up for Dish or Directv or Comcast cable or whoever, one of the things you do is check the channels you get. One reason my local cable company is not an option is they simply don't offer several channels we really enjoy. Then you sign up and are locked in for two years. I get that the fine print says, hey, we can theoretically drop all the channels you get and only provide Lifetime and Hallmark Movies, but if you leave us in those two years you have to pay a hefty ETF. So yeah, when a channel you watch gets dropped, you have lost something you paid for. It's perfectly legit to be upset over that. The agreements are pretty one-sided: You have to sign up for two years and can't leave no matter what we choose to do. We sign it. But it doesn't mean people aren't upset and don't feel ripped off if something gets taken away from what they originally signed up for.

To be fair, we're AT250, and I suspect it would have been a while before we realized Esquire was gone. But even in this thread there are people who really enjoyed it.

Reactions: bbtkd and Tampa8
Thanks for the vote on TVLand HD. ;)

On the "owed" part, I do get it. When you sign up for Dish or Directv or Comcast cable or whoever, one of the things you do is check the channels you get. One reason my local cable company is not an option is they simply don't offer several channels we really enjoy. Then you sign up and are locked in for two years. I get that the fine print says, hey, we can theoretically drop all the channels you get and only provide Lifetime and Hallmark Movies, but if you leave us in those two years you have to pay a hefty ETF. So yeah, when a channel you watch gets dropped, you have lost something you paid for. It's perfectly legit to be upset over that. The agreements are pretty one-sided: You have to sign up for two years and can't leave no matter what we choose to do. We sign it. But it doesn't mean people aren't upset and don't feel ripped off if something gets taken away from what they originally signed up for.

To be fair, we're AT250, and I suspect it would have been a while before we realized Esquire was gone. But even in this thread there are people who really enjoyed it.

I don't overall disagree with that. I wasn't focusing so much on the lost channel, and as I said I don't want anyone to lose a channel they watch. What I was addressing the perceived entitlement of a "replacement" channel just because another is no longer available.
It is indeed one sided on that. I have said before in certain situations you should be able to get out of a contact but I was thinking more for the channels that you can't watch otherwise, like your RSN. The problem is no one can tell you a channel will or will not be carried in the future, either over contracts or the channels simply not being available anymore. Just seems silly to me when someone thinks DISH or whoever needs to give them a channel when something like Al Jazeera doesn't exist anymore through no fault of DISH.

In addition for all of them it's a business. The literal handful that care about some of these channels may not be worth keeping the channel perhaps at a higher cost or use of bandwidth.