What HD DirecTV boxes needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wa9zug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I have to upgrade a sports bar to HD boxes. What boxes would I need? They hopefully will have at least two HDMI outputs to allow two TV's to hook up. The end desire is to get NFL Sunday Ticket in HD. Also, What dish will I need and what birds will I aim it at? Presently he has a single LNB dish. A hard drive or TIVO type thing is not necessary. Thanks in advance! BTW Go Packers!

You'll need a HD recvr, anywhere from the H20- H24.
H24's are probably the ones you'll want, newer and quicker, but any of them would work.

I would expect you'll want a Slimline dish, you didn't say how many recvrs all together you'll need.

Point it at the 99, 101, 103 Sats. (use the 101 for this, dither for the highest signal on the 99 and 103)

The hd receivers/dvrs only have one hdmi output, but they all have component, too. Since they are both live, you could use those.

A total of 5 receivers will be installed. I would much rather have a more standardized all HDMI type system as opposed to a combo of HDMI/VGA/Component. Bar people tend to NOT be techies and easy is better. As in " Just put the TV on HDMI 1 and the satellite TV will come in". If I need to, maybe I can get a few HDMI splitters. I have a Birdog for alignment. Right now I am using a 2X8 switch. If I need a slimline dish, what switch would I need? Also, if I used all five the same receivers, would I be able to address the remotes so they do not interact?

A total of 5 receivers will be installed. I would much rather have a more standardized all HDMI type system as opposed to a combo of HDMI/VGA/Component. Bar people tend to NOT be techies and easy is better. As in " Just put the TV on HDMI 1 and the satellite TV will come in". If I need to, maybe I can get a few HDMI splitters. I have a Birdog for alignment. Right now I am using a 2X8 switch. If I need a slimline dish, what switch would I need?

The Multi Switch you'll need is a WB68
The 2x8 won't work as it won't pass the correct signals.

How far are the TV's away from the recvrs, HDMI 's are pricy ...

The Setup will be, in general, one receiver under a TV with another TV maybe 30 feet away mirroring that receiver/TV. Five setups like that. I checked and saw some "passive" 2 way HDMI splitters that were cheap. Think they would work OK? The slimline dish has 5 LNB's? or 3? Thanks BTW I have seen the longer HDMI cables for $50-$70. That is doable in this job.

The Setup will be, in general, one receiver under a TV with another TV maybe 30 feet away mirroring that receiver/TV. Five setups like that. I checked and saw some "passive" 2 way HDMI splitters that were cheap. Think they would work OK? The slimline dish has 5 LNB's? or 3? Thanks

The Slimline comes as Both, chances are you'll rather go with the SL3, as there really isn't much on the 110 and 119 Sats, nothing on the 110 currently.
IF ST is the priority, I'd stick with the SL3.
Your gonna need the MS regardless. ( the SL5 only has 4 outputs from the LNB)

Your still gonna need the length of HDMI cables.
Check online, you may find some reasonable, I had to buy locally earlier and it was over $ 100 for a 20 foot cable.

So 5) H24 rcvrs, 1) WB68 switch, 1) 3 LNB slimline, Various HDMI cables. Do you know if the H24 remotes are UHF/IR and are they addressable?

The Setup will be, in general, one receiver under a TV with another TV maybe 30 feet away mirroring that receiver/TV. Five setups like that. I checked and saw some "passive" 2 way HDMI splitters that were cheap. Think they would work OK? The slimline dish has 5 LNB's? or 3? Thanks BTW I have seen the longer HDMI cables for $50-$70. That is doable in this job.

This is what you need right here. I've always had great luck with Monoprice products.

For only $22.36 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 Mini HDMI Splitter w/ 3D support | HDMI Active & Powered Splitters

For only $20.76 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 30ft 24AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black | Premium 24AWG HDMI Standard Speed Male to Male Cables

You can get an H24 from Solid Signal for $100 or a H25 for the same price if you are using a SWM system.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=H24-COM&d=DIRECTV-H24-High-Definition-MPEG4-Enabled-Commercial-Receiver-%28H24%29&c=DIRECTV%20Receivers&sku=

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...rcial-Receiver-(H25)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=

Last edited:
Maybe a swm system and 1 H2x at each tv? If he does install swm, he will be able to have up to 8 hd (non dvr) receivers.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

Ya, I didn't mention that because I didn't know how many recvrs he needed at the time and forgot about it after that.

Then he needs 1 SWM set up, 1. Power Inserter, 1. 8way splitter

Ya, I didn't mention that because I didn't know how many recvrs he needed at the time and forgot about it after that.

Then he needs 1 SWM set up, 1. Power Inserter, 1. 8way splitter

If he does SWM, he could get (5) H25's. The H25's were designed for installations like this.

The passive hdmi splitter may not work. Look for an amplified one.

So We are ready to give a proposal to the owner. Just to be clear, The SL3 has 6 outputs (3 sats RH & LH polarity) these rub to the 6X8. Then one cable from the 6X8 to the five H24's.

No, the SL3 has 4 outputs that run to the 6x8 switch which has 8 outputs.

If I ran a SWM SL3 dish/LNB (one cable?) to an 8 way splitter then to five H25's OR, a KA/KU SL3 to a 6X8 (four cables) then to five H24's Same results? BTW thanks for this info. I chatted with the owner today and he was wondering why he didn't get "free" receivers, like the homeowners.

If I ran a SWM SL3 dish/LNB (one cable?) to an 8 way splitter then to five H25's OR, a KA/KU SL3 to a 6X8 (four cables) then to five H24's Same results? BTW thanks for this info. I chatted with the owner today and he was wondering why he didn't get "free" receivers, like the homeowners.

Same result, but one is outdated and doesn't make sense. All future receivers will require SWM, just as the H25 does now. If one of his H24's breaks in 2 years and they only have H25 or 26 or 27's, then he will have to pay out of pocket to upgrade. Do SWM now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)