What HDMI Cable?

FD611V

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
My new Samsung LN-40A550 LCD TV arrived yesterday, and before I do any connection of cables, I need some information.

I have Dish Network with a VIP211 HD receiver that will be connected to this Samsung TV. I know I'm to use a HDMI 1.3 cable. So, it is a male to male, or female to female type? There is nothing mentioned in the manuals of both unit what type I'm to use. However, the Samsung manual does mentioned a HDMI cable 2M. What is the difference between a 1.3a and a 1.3b cable?

Also, where is the best place to purchase a very good HDMI. I don't see paying $50.00 for a 3' cable.

Another vote for Monoprice. Can't beat their price/quality. I've had great results with their TOSLINK and component cables as well, and my house is wired with their keystone wall plates and inserts. I always order spares and save my friends big bucks when I help them hook up their HDTV's correctly. Actual quote from me to my neigbor last Friday evening: "No , actually, you shouldn't use RG-6 to connect your 61" Toshiba DLP to your Dish receiver :)".

You don't need to spend allot to get a quality cable (contrary to what the boys at BestBuy who are pushing Monster tell you)...
Get it from monoprice...
Additionally... HDMI 1.3 is a spec for devices to communicate with each other (features and such).. The cable is the same between HDMI 1.0, 1.2, 1.3. Cables labeled as HDMI 1.3 complient is more of a marketing thing to get you to buy a cable at usually a higher cost. There is no differnece between whats needed for the cable.

KAB, that will be the one I'm ordering. However, I have another little cable problem. I have only 1-1/2" space between my wall mount and the TV HDMI connector. I think with this little space, and I don't put any "bend" pressure on the cable, it looks like I'm needing a 90 degree (right angle) adapter.

Due to the fact my HDMI cable I will order is a "male to male" type, I would need also a "male to female" 90 degree adapter.... Would this be correct?

SKY6034.jpg

KAB, that will be the one I'm ordering. However, I have another little cable problem. I have only 1-1/2" space between my wall mount and the TV HDMI connector. I think with this little space, and I don't put any "bend" pressure on the cable, it looks like I'm needing a 90 degree (right angle) adapter.

Due to the fact my HDMI cable I will order is a "male to male" type, I would need also a "male to female" 90 degree adapter.... Would this be correct?

SKY6034.jpg
Yes, that's the standard adapter when cable is coming from the bottom of the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)