What if there is a TREE.............

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
I just went out and sighted for the 61.5 Sat. Guess what,,,, there is a tree about 10 feet from my satellite post, right in the same azimuth as I need to aim the dish. There is a small opening that the LNBF might be able to "see" through if I aim correctly. How much area does the LNBF need to get a good signal? The tree is a maple that is about 40 years old. Please help. I need the 61.5.
Thanks for the response:
Lyle :shocked

Since it is a seperate dish, just place the dish past the tree, if it is in your yard, or in a spot forward of where it is now to miss the tree.

Hey, once I saw an installation that might work for you.

Someone cut a few branches down, and installed the dish ON THE TREE. :shocked It was CRAZY. I would fire myself if I pulled a stunt like that. Then they had arial runs to the house. Squirls had chewed through the arials, which is why I got a service call on the job. I didn't move the dish... :eek: I just re-ran the arials. There was no where else to put the dish anyway.

Parlyle said:
I just went out and sighted for the 61.5 Sat. Guess what,,,, there is a tree about 10 feet from my satellite post, right in the same azimuth as I need to aim the dish. There is a small opening that the LNBF might be able to "see" through if I aim correctly. How much area does the LNBF need to get a good signal? The tree is a maple that is about 40 years old. Please help. I need the 61.5.
Thanks for the response:
Lyle, it's not just the LNB the satellite needs to see. The signal need to reach dish. the signal is bounced off the dish, and is directed at the LNB. I have a similar situation with a tree. It's posted here. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=68261

Parlyle said:
How much area does the LNBF need to get a good signal?
Every point on the dish needs to "see" a single point in the sky. Any hole wider than the width of the dish is more than you need. Partial obstructions will reduce the signal quality, and you may or may not have enough to work with. Only one way to know for sure. :)

I have a similar problem but mine is with the superdish. I have had a C-band for 25 years pointed in the direction of a tree but was told that it would not work for the smaller dish. I got to get it chopped down. Was supposed to have been done today but they didn't show up. My install was re-scheduled for Tuesday. ahhhhh

You won't ever get a Dish to work pointing it through a tree, not without alot of trial and error anyway. Just put the Dish for 61.5 in another area that the tree does not block.

If a DNSC tech. comes out to install a Dish they should never put it on a tree.

Find another place. Even if you get it to work initially, you'll probably lose it once the leaves fill in or the tree grows.

Another View............

Well I really appreciate the responses. I remembered that I took some pictures of my satellite "Shrine" and maybe this will make my problem easier to understand. I wanted to put the dish on the same post as the 500. Heres a picture of where I want to put the dish and the tree is in the background.

It's the tree with the crotch nearest the "Shrine". The correct azimuth puts it almost dead center and below the crotch.

Dish 500 is A- 207/ Elev- 33/ Skew- 110
Dish 300 is A- 138/ Elev- 30
Thanks for the help:
Lyle

Last edited:
Why not put it on the house? Surely there's a point on the house where you cold shoot over the tree. After all, these dishes were made to go on the house.

Parlyle said:
Thanks for the response:

Parlyle,

The other problem that was NOT mentioned is the offset nature of all DBS dishes. Offset in that the signal is coming in at an angle that is 22 degrees higher than the apparent angle the Dish is pointing relative to the ground. This means a Dish can appear to be pointed at an obstruction but the signal is being received just fine.
This means the trail and and error method could be a giant headache not to the mention that the tree is growing and will cause more trouble in the future.
The best solution is to locate the Dish in an area that would not have a tree in the way, while this could be more inconvienent to install you will NOT have future problems.

John

That information may work for me...........

JohnL said:
Parlyle,

The other problem that was NOT mentioned is the offset nature of all DBS dishes. Offset in that the signal is coming in at an angle that is 22 degrees higher than the apparent angle the Dish is pointing relative to the ground. This means a Dish can appear to be pointed at an obstruction but the signal is being received just fine.
This means the trail and and error method could be a giant headache not to the mention that the tree is growing and will cause more trouble in the future.
The best solution is to locate the Dish in an area that would not have a tree in the way, while this could be more inconvienent to install you will NOT have future problems.

John

There is somewhat of a clear area in the "Y" of the tree that may well get me the signal I need. I have a friend that has a sat finder and I think when I get the new 500 dish and DP dual LNB, I will have him scope it out. Also, I am wondering about the "Magnetic Deviation" that I am suppose to be aware of. In my area ( East of Minneapolis/St. Paul ) there is suppose to be a -3º, I need to subtract from the actual readings. Does anyone know how to use these numbers? I didn't use them when I put up the original dish. I did have to tweak the dish a little from the actual numbers, but I didn't know how much. I think that the elevation was suppose to be 30º and the actual elevation is 35º. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated too. With my luck the HD channels will change to the 148º sat and I'll have to start all over again. Thanks for the responses so far.
Lyle :clap

The numbers reported by your receiver are adjusted for local magnetic deviation - but as you seem to already know, those numbers are a starting place and NOT gospel.

How's this?

I really didn't know that the reciever coordinates were listed on the screen with the deviation already accounted for. I will remember that. As long as I have the floor, I might mention my plan as to the hookup, and see if it will work. And maybe some different suggestions. If I get any good signal, I want to use a Dish 500 with a DPdual aimed at 61.5. Then those 2 coax will join the 4 coax coming from the DP Quad for 110/119 in the PVC tube underground, and into the basement. There 2 DP-34's will each get 2 coax from the Quad and 1 coax from the Dual. Then 2 outputs from the 1st 34 will go to a future 942, and 1 to either an 811 or a 510. From the other 34, 1 output would go to the Family room to either the 811 or the 510. This leaves me with countless future hookup possibilities. Does this sound like it will work? I know that I should probably get rid of one or two of the recievers, but It's hard to part with them when they are part of the "Family"
Thanks" Lyle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)