What makes you stay with Directv?

Interesting on not requiring internet access, I guess if a person doesn't care about on-demand or ordering movies via the remote, that is true. By my reckoning those services require an internet connection.
The newest HD and 4K movies and some other showcase content are recorded in advanced to reserved space on your DVR's hard drive via hidden PUSH channels in the 9000s.

For those without access to fast enough internet or without DVRs, DIRECTV also has several dozen linear PPV Movie channels in the 100s offering the newest and some classic movies at staggered start times, including 2 in 4K. (Most of them exist as filler when their bandwidth isn't being repurposed for part time sport channels)

Internet isn't required to order, you can also use a landline, text or call the 1-800 number.

On cable with VOD you're at the mercy of how upgraded your local system is, like the lesser upgraded systems still only have limited HD VOD content because the entire node has to share the same 2 way QAM Mux. PPV Events are even worse if your cable provider doesn't carry the full iNDemand lineup as there are nights where there's a wrestling and boxing PPV at the same time, so one of them gets bumped to iNDemand's secondary channels that not all providers carry in HD, if they carry it at all. i.e. Optimum still only offers iN1, iN3 and HDPPV.

Interesting on not requiring internet access, I guess if a person doesn't care about on-demand or ordering movies via the remote, that is true. By my reckoning those services require an internet connection. As for getting an internet connection, what do you use? I guess it may be T-Mobile if not cable. Or FioS if available, I had it back in Philly, it was very good for both TV and internet.
On Demand for D* is pretty Useless, seeing Streaming on many other devices are options.

What do I use for Internet .... ?

I have Frontier and Verizon as options, but neither are reliable, I can't get ATT internet, so I am down to one option, the local cable company ....
Which actually is pretty decent ...

Fwiw, I never said anything about Cable Company Internet, just the TV.

As for "Cutting the Cord", I agree, I find it comical that people Say they CTC but still get thier internet (that runs thier TV) thru a CABLE.

Pretty much the only thing NOT Compressed is OTA. (if using an antenna)
Of course it is compressed-

ATSC uses MPEG2 compression to remove 99% of the audio & video data before transmission. A true uncompressed 1080i/60 field video would require ~1400 megabit/s bitrate, but over-the-air ATSC is only 19 megabit/s.

Worse if there are sub channels.

PPV Events are even worse if your cable provider doesn't carry the full iNDemand lineup as there are nights where there's a wrestling and boxing PPV at the same time, so one of them gets bumped to iNDemand's secondary channels that not all providers carry in HD, if they carry it at all. i.e. Optimum still only offers iN1, iN3 and HDPPV.
Comcast up in Scranton only has HDPPV now as far as I know, while Cox down here seems to have their own PPV channels, identified on Zap2It as “CXPPV2”, “CXIN2”, and “CXINH”

On Demand for D* is pretty Useless, seeing Streaming on many other devices are options.
If you have a surround sound system DIRECTV's VOD is better than streaming as you get Dolby 5.1 audio while most of the TV Everywhere apps from Disney, Discovery, Turner, AETN, Viacom, Hallmark and FOX still only offer AAC stereo audio. And for some networks VOD gives you new episodes in advanced of their linear airings.

Cox down here seems to have their own PPV channels, identified on Zap2It as “CXPPV2”, “CXIN2”, and “CXINH”
Cox co-owns iNDemand with Comcast and Charter (via their Time Warner Cable purchase) Those are just iNDemand's channels with some customizations to their guide data. i.e. some providers want the adult titles heavily censored in their EPG.

Locally Blue Ridge only carries iN1 and HDPPV, so if there's dual live events you can't get the second event at all. Back when they used Gracenote's data on their set-top boxes they had a custom "BRPPV" entry that blanked out all of the adult titles and the actual titles wouldn't show up until you tuned to the channel and viewed the ordering info.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Because it's what mom's comfortable with. This is slowly changing, between Days of our Lives going streaming-only and things like the protracted Nexstar dispute we're pretty close to pulling the plug on the 20+ year old account.

She's the only one of my immediate family / circle of friends who has a subscription from cable/sat still active.

Recently needed her first service call in a dozen or so years to re-peak the dish, they were very quick to waive the fees when it was going to serve as the impetus to pull the plug.

If you have a surround sound system DIRECTV's VOD is better than streaming as you get Dolby 5.1 audio ...

As a Yankee fan outside of NY, DIRECTV is pretty much the only option, especially in years past. As a bonus, YES has Dolby 5.1 on DIRECTV, which MLB.TV does not have.

Historically, even though MLB Extra Innings eventually became more widely available, DIRECTV had home and away feeds, as well as HD, far earlier and more completely than other systems.

Reactions: KyL416
Historically, even though MLB Extra Innings eventually became more widely available, DIRECTV had home and away feeds, as well as HD, far earlier and more completely than other systems.
Xfinity is the odd one out for that, they now have team specific channels for X1 customers using the raw stadium feeds.

The rest of the cable providers are stuck with Sports iNDemand's 14 GAME channels that share with Center Ice, which has only gotten worse after the overlap between the NHL and MLB seasons got bigger. NBA League Pass uses 10 TEAM channels that previously shared with MLS Direct Kick, but they still get maxed out on those busy nights where nearly every team is in action, so some late games are joined in progress. All the Sports iNDemand feeds are now distributed in HD, however not all providers are able to offer them in HD. iNDemand also controls the blackouts remotely, so if the receiver at your cable provider's headend is serving multiple systems that straddle the border of multiple territories, you might be blacked out of a neighboring city's team that you wouldn't get blacked out with on DIRECTV or DISH.

Reactions: David Ortiz
Xfinity is the odd one out for that, they now have team specific channels for X1 customers using the raw stadium feeds.

The rest of the cable providers are stuck with Sports iNDemand's 14 GAME channels that share with Center Ice, which has only gotten worse after the overlap between the NHL and MLB seasons got bigger. NBA League Pass uses 10 TEAM channels that previously shared with MLS Direct Kick, but they still get maxed out on those busy nights where nearly every team is in action, so some late games are joined in progress. All the Sports iNDemand feeds are now distributed in HD, however not all providers are able to offer them in HD. iNDemand also controls the blackouts remotely, so if the receiver at your cable provider's headend is serving multiple systems that straddle the border of multiple territories, you might be blacked out of a neighboring city's team that you wouldn't get blacked out with on DIRECTV or DISH.
I'd prefer a dedicated Yankees channel with DIRECTV MLBEI, instead of the home feed having a different channel number from game to game. Rather than keep all of the MLBEI channels in my guide, I usually watch on 631. The only problem with that is when the game ends, if I'm not watching live, I risk losing the feed since I don't have the sports pack. As they say, first world problems.

D* WILL be around for quite awhile yet, Sat's are up there and should last till 2030 or there abouts
DIRECTV 9S is 17 years old and Lyngsat reports that its orbit is inclined (0.3 degrees on either side of the Clarke Belt).
DIRECTV 10 is 16 years old.
DIRECTV 11 is 15-1/2 years old.

None of these is likely to last another six years though it could happen.

DIRECTV 9S may not be needed depending on whether or not DIRECTV reaches its ongoing (eight+ years) goal of swapping out SD boxes.

Holding down the fort at 103W with DIRECTV 10 is DIRECTV 12 at 13-1/2 years and DIRECTV 15 that was launched eight years ago.

2030 would appear to be pushing the limits of probability no matter how badly some want it or need it.

Pretty much the only thing NOT Compressed is OTA. (if using an antenna)
All OTA is compressed as part of the multiplexing process to put multiple streams on a single RF TV channel. It comes down to how much. With many DTV stations carrying two HD feeds plus whatever SD feeds they have, this can be very damaging to picture quality.

The only bonus that broadcasters get is that they don't need much error correction. They can't afford it with only 6MHz of bandwidth.

As a Yankee fan outside of NY, DIRECTV is pretty much the only option, especially in years past. As a bonus, YES has Dolby 5.1 on DIRECTV, which MLB.TV does not have.

A Yankee fan with Your Screen Name ???? Lol

Go Red Sox !!!

DIRECTV 9S is 17 years old and Lyngsat reports that its orbit is inclined (0.3 degrees on either side of the Clarke Belt).
DIRECTV 10 is 16 years old.
DIRECTV 11 is 15-1/2 years old.

None of these is likely to last another six years though it could happen.

DIRECTV 9S may not be needed depending on whether or not DIRECTV reaches its ongoing (eight+ years) goal of swapping out SD boxes.

Holding down the fort at 103W with DIRECTV 10 is DIRECTV 12 at 13-1/2 years and DIRECTV 15 that was launched eight years ago.

2030 would appear to be pushing the limits of probability no matter how badly some want it or need it.
They will make it .... at least enough to have the Major channels.

I can see them moving channels around if needed.

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
I see that most of this discussion revolves around sports networks, I guess that is the primary reason for most of you keeping D*. As I said, I am a casual sports fan, so all those sports networks would go unwatched in my house. I only watch the Steelers and occasionally the Penguins. The Pirates are terrible, so I don't bother. Since you guys are big sports fans, I guess you are now forced to go to youtube.com for NFL Sunday Ticket. Since it is owned by Alphabet, one would think that will be able to handle the increased data load!

I keep DIRECTV because I am grandfather in to the east, west, and Chicago networks.
I loved getting the East/West Networks via DirecTV back in the pre streaming days.

The Simpsons reruns were on about 10 times a day back then.

Reactions: Mr Tony and AZ.
direct comes out cheaper than spectrum and has more bells and whistles like whole home dvr. there's no bogus dvr fee's no bogus box rental fee's ect ect. better programming discounts than what spectrum offers for there loyal customers