What resolution is FoX News broadcast in?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chibbert

Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
What resolution is D* broadcasting x channel in?

New to HD and recently (4 weeks ago) received a new HR20 - DVR.
The guy who set it up did everything fine and I was very pleased with all of the resolution/picture quality on all channels.

Yesterday, the receiver locked up so I did the Red button restart. When I did that, all of the settings the installer gave me were reset to something different and I was getting stretched screens, letterbox screens, and a bunch of pain in my neck.

I made many adjustments (turned on NATIVE -----> stretch and all resolutions up to 1080i enabled) Now I have most channels looking good but one that I watch frequently (Fox News) now looks horrible. It looks like it's zoomed and the receiver shows it's only being broadcast in 480i. Now 90% of the channels up near fox news and all the way down and through Discovery and TLC are showing only 480i. If I click on Discovery HD or the other HD channels it resets and switches to 1080i and the image looks grand. I just now checked my local channels (on D*) and the shows being broadcast in primetime HD look great as well. But I seemed to think all of the ones between fox news and tlc were broadcasting in something other than 480i. Can anyone verify this or is there a repository somewhere that states what resolution D* is broadcasting in for each channel?

In case it matters - I am using an HDMI cable and have it connected to a TH42PX60U Panasonic 42" Plasma with built in tuners.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Last edited:
All I am asking for is for someone to turn their HD D* receiver onto channel 360 and tell me what resolution your receiver says it's being broadcast in.

All I am asking for is for someone to turn their HD D* receiver onto channel 360 and tell me what resolution your receiver says it's being broadcast in.

A bit impatient, aren't you? :rolleyes:
All of the sd channels are broadcast in 480i.

Sorry Chip - Patience is a virtue - I know but I can't seem to find mine :)

Thanks for your response :)

His Panasonic TV needs to be set to "JUST", while the HR20 is tuned to an SD channel. That is the best stretch setting for an SD signal. And, he should keep his D* receiver set to Native resolution, and Normal Aspect Ratio (is it called "pillar box" or something?). That way, when he's tuned to an HD signal 1080i or 720p, the Panasonic will automatically switch to FULL, and when he views SD programming, it will switch to JUST. The stretch and upscaling functions in a quality brand HDTV like the Panasonic will almost always look better than the ones in a STB, be it cable, E*, or D*.

Last edited:

I've always found it comical that D* customers haven't realized they get SD-LITE as well as HD-LITE.

Last edited:
It's not just the number of lines. It's the horrible over-compression that BOTH providers use. The locals look like crap on both systems. Maybe the crap smells a wee bit worse on D*. But, they are both crap, and I wouldn't want to step in either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts