Where's the new HD (January 2012)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While I have no evidence, I have a feeling we won't see much new hd this year. But I hope I am wrong as there are a couple of channels I would like to see added :)

While I have no evidence, I have a feeling we won't see much new hd this year. But I hope I am wrong as there are a couple of channels I would like to see added :)

The evidence is already in. Their record speaks for itself.

i say we get trutv by March

TruTV on demand has a episode of Bait Car #433 and Full Throttle Saloon #205 available in HD, I hope this is a sign of things to come but would still like to see BBC America in HD first, but will continue to use iPlayer on my PS3 until DTV brings BBC America in HD.

Nat Geo Wild

DirectTV has fallen way behind Dish. I switched recently from Dish and was fooled by the "we have more hd" bragging. By switching, I have lost TCM-HD, Nat Geo Wild-HD, TruTV-HD, BBC America-HD, G4-HD, E!-HD,
Investigation Discovery HD, Reelz HD, RFD TV HD, Style HD, Bio HD, Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, And Epix-HD.
I really hope I get some of these soon or I will be headiing back to DISH ASAP. I cant stand how spread out and hard it is to find channels in the guide compared to Dish, but I'll forgive that if they just add more HD, especially NAT Geo Wild HD. I really miss that one!

the only one in that list that looks decent (to me at least) is TruTV

The rest dont care about

DirectTV has fallen way behind Dish. I switched recently from Dish and was fooled by the "we have more hd" bragging. By switching, I have lost TCM-HD, Nat Geo Wild-HD, TruTV-HD, BBC America-HD, G4-HD, E!-HD,
Investigation Discovery HD, Reelz HD, RFD TV HD, Style HD, Bio HD, Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, And Epix-HD.
I really hope I get some of these soon or I will be headiing back to DISH ASAP. I cant stand how spread out and hard it is to find channels in the guide compared to Dish, but I'll forgive that if they just add more HD, especially NAT Geo Wild HD. I really miss that one!

Sounds like you are with the wrong provider for your needs.

Prior to signing up with DirecTV, I was aware of the channel choices, contract, pricing, and overall programming options. As a result, I was neither fooled or disappointed in the choice. As a sports fan, Dish isn't an option when comparing the two services, and DirecTV provides enough premiums and basic choices in HD for me.

So, the "fallen way behind" analogy is in the eyes of the beholder's. Dish is the one that's fallen behind as the best sports provider. DirecTV provides more HD feeds than Dish in the sports category.

Referring to basic HD exclusively, you're correct in the comparisons.

We'd all like to see more HD but overall, if you're primarily interested in basic HD, you're better off staying with Dish.

Regarding the guide layout comparisons, I'd think that if a longtime DirecTV subs switched to Dish, they'd most likely need some time to get familiar with the guide layout differences between the 2 providers.

Who didn't see this coming oh and premiums count as new hd channels so whatever you guys complaining I rather have new hd premiums and sports then Just about every channel listed in this thread. Oh and I love how iceberg told you not up a threa a year old and so you decide make the same thread again crying like you did in the one he said would only start problems with.

Last edited:
wg4ever said:
DirectTV has fallen way behind Dish. I switched recently from Dish and was fooled by the "we have more hd" bragging. By switching, I have lost TCM-HD, Nat Geo Wild-HD, TruTV-HD, BBC America-HD, G4-HD, E!-HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Reelz HD, RFD TV HD, Style HD, Bio HD, Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, And Epix-HD. I really hope I get some of these soon or I will be headiing back to DISH ASAP. I cant stand how spread out and hard it is to find channels in the guide compared to Dish, but I'll forgive that if they just add more HD, especially NAT Geo Wild HD. I really miss that one!

I suppose you need to head back on over to Dish if those channels interest you that much. I would have behooved you to do a little research before you switched. I highly doubt DirecTv will be adding very many of those in the near future. You will probably have to pay a fairly hefty early termination fee to leave if you "recently switched."

Are these all that important to you? You realize Bio is in HD on Direct?

Oh and I love how iceberg told you not up a threa a year old and so you decide make the same thread again crying like you did in the one he said would only start problems with.

I guess you didnt read what I wrote in the other thread. I'll bold the part of observance

instead of working off a year old thread where arguments will start over who has what a year ago lets either start a new thread or work on one that is maybe a tad newer

I didnt want folks replying to arguments in the old thread that were 6-7 months old

Yes pretty happy with the HD offerings, if I could add it would be two, DIY and HLN.

I did research. I just missed how many HD channels are missing. Also. I was a Directv subscriber for 10 years before I switched to Dish. I'm sorry, but after having both systems for an extended period, the guide AND recievers still win, overall. I dont want to start a debate between Directv and Dish fans. I am just stating a fact. The fact that I listed some channels that are either on Directv or not on there at all just shows how scrambled some of the basic channels are on the guide. Dish hasnt really fallen behind as a sports provider. It's just that Directv has some good exclusive deals that Dish cant provide to its subscribers. Dish actually has more of their sports networks in HD, than Directv. Not that I care. Most people are wanting more basic in HD, not more sports. One last thing about the guide on Directv. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that when you push up on the page button, then the channel numbers should go up. At least Dish has the option in their receivers to make the guide ascending or descending. I wish I had the option on DTV. Lets be realistic. I am the only person that I know that pays for a total package (meaning sports & premiums). Every single person that I know only pays for basic packages, with a few paying for one premium. The statistics and surveys don't lie. When asked, people say they want more basic in HD.
I am not a hater of DTV. I just wish they would try harder. Being number one tends to make you a little lazy...until you fall to number two. I love the Whole-home concept. I dont like that you cant have a OTA tuner option in the new receivers though. Here in the Bay Area, you can pick up 36 channels OTA. Having that other recording option is nice. I like the new guide (except for not being able to change it to ascending). I like the large capacity DVR. They have Smithsonian-HD, which Dish screwed their customers out of (It was on Dish for a couple of weeks and then disappeared with no explanation). They have Showtime Beyond in HD, which is pretty cool.
I will be with DIrectV for at least the next two years, so I hope they focus less on adding more PPV HD Channels and other Pay channels, and add more Basic in HD. I'll be happy to have more premiums too, but please give me more basic HD.

You mean you are stating YOUR OPINION and PERCEPTION; what is missing, acceptable, desired, lazy, not trying hard, what makes a better EPG, etc for YOU may not be so for the next 1000 users.

But that said; if you really didn't want to start a debate between Directv and Dish, then you wouldn't have posted your opinions and perceptions in public.

Status
Please reply by conversation.