Where's the new HD (January 2012)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Every time someone makes a comment about wanting more BASIC HD on Directv, someone wants to tell the poster how Directv has the most sports channels?

Are you saying that sports channels aren't basic channels?

Every time someone makes a comment about wanting more BASIC HD on Directv, someone wants to tell the poster how Directv has the most sports channels?

Here, I'll make another comment that has been going around even more and consistently ignored; there aren't 2+ worthwhile ones that are missing. And that said, assuming they added every channel YOU think should be on; people would STILL be bitching about the one channel they didn't get. Companies are in the business to make money and stay alive, with the best OVERALL solutions not pander to every last single minority call out and keeping up with all of the Jones'. Its not a childish game of keep up. That is a true recipe for a badly run business and a failure. They pay great money and attention to know what the trends are and what they are going to be and what garners they most ratings and viewing potential.

These discussions are foolish arguments. Call DirecTV and voice your opinion and vote with your wallet and your subscription.

Why does this happen? Possibily because this was posted earlier in the thread:

"Dish actually has more of their sports networks in HD, than Directv."

I belive that comment was admittedly in error but readers of the thread weren't aware of that at the time is was posted. "Dodger" posted the info about the sports channel comparisons very well earlier in the thread.

Another reason, is that perhaps ;), D* subs continually hear about "not enough 'basics'", etc,. There's always 2 sides to these pov's.

Once again, no provider has it all. If someone's unhappy with D* due to a lack of enough basics in HD, I would think they'd happily switch to Dish or perhaps FIOS, cable, depending on what's available in their area.

Yes I did.....no one cares about NYsports and this isn't Dish

Perhaps for you but not for others. I watch those NY sports channels regluarly. They aren't available on Dish.

Here, I'll make another comment that has been going around even more and consistently ignored; there aren't 2+ worthwhile ones that are missing.

Glad to hear from the official authority on this. :rolleyes:

These discussions are foolish arguments. Call DirecTV and voice your opinion and vote with your wallet and your subscription.

Using that logic, there probably wouldn't be much use for forums like this. I agree, it seems most of these types of discussions tend toward foolish arguments at least for some, but at the same time it provides a forum to voice one's opinions and perhaps rally others with similar points of view. Sure, I can contact DirecTV about my concerns (and have) but posting in forums such as this might encourage others to do the same or at least give a perspective that other viewers may not have considered.

They have been slow to add new hd in a year or so, but there is a good reason. They are low on bandwidth and won't compromise on picture quality like Dish has in order to give you more channels in hd.

EXACTLY!

I switched from Dish to DirecTV because of the significantly better HD picture quality on D*. I think it is debatable as to whether Dish actually has any real HD channels. I can't stand to watch HD programming on Dish.

There is no way I would be in favor of DirecTV simply squeezing in another 20 "HD" channels into their existing HD bandwidth.

They have been slow to add new hd in a year or so, but there is a good reason. They are low on bandwidth and won't compromise on picture quality like Dish has in order to give you more channels in hd. Think about how many more customers they could either attract or keep by increasing the number of channels per transponder. They have steadfastly refused to do that and I for one am happy about that. Would I like to have more hd, of course, but I am willing to wait for the next satellite launch, which I think is next year.

I didn't know about this, but I did notice a huge improvement in PQ the second the installer got the DVR displaying a channel when I had my initial D* install a couple weeks back. Night and day difference actually. And this comment appears to explain that. I definitely prefer quality over quantity. E* quality was getting worse and worse before I switched.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Interesting to note, do you mean quality of your local channels or national channels? I can agree on the local channels, CBS and NBC are pretty bad they are so downrezzed. Discovery seems really good, but the HD RSN's :mad: are another story, if your game is even available in HD or not JIP'd (Joined in Progress). There will be more and more games in HD and DISH does not increase their even part-time overflow Game / HD Channels. I have DISH (for HD sports) and Frontier FiOS-TV (which could be going away soon), and am considering switching to D* for HD-RSN's full-time 24/7, the MLB-HD package and the new five tuner HR24/H25. I just get AT120+ for sports, locals and DVR. It is amazing even to this 6 year customer that DISH cannot get any HD-RSN's full-time 24/7.

I know D* is known for their sports and if that was the only difference between D* & E* I'd probably be with E*. I see a lot of you guys saying there's very little that interests you in the channels that E* carries in HD that D* doesn't but for me I'll take all the HD I can get. Not to mention I'm not a big sports fan. But D* PQ is why I'm a customer. That and I actually like their equipment. WholeHome is great. iPad app is really nice and did I mention the PQ being really nice? So while I'd love to have all those channels in HD I'd much rather they do it right and not just for the sake of having them. Bad HD gives me a headache! :D

Agreed. My main interests are broken up as follows. My list is going by just programming an not equipment.

1.HD Locals (Most Important)
2.National HD
3.Premium HD
4.Xtra pack HD
5.Sports HD (Least Important)

So I would gladly like the 15-20 or so National HD's that E* has but I would not change providers over it.

Agreed. My main interests are broken up as follows. My list is going by just programming an not equipment.

1.HD Locals (Most Important)
2.National HD
3.Premium HD
4.Xtra pack HD
5.Sports HD (Least Important)

So I would gladly like the 15-20 or so National HD's that E* has but I would not change providers over it.

1.HD Locals (Most Important). Varies, D* in Seattle, CW-HD over Tacoma HD
2. Sports HD. D*
3.Premium HD. E*
4.Nationals HD. E*
5.Xtra HD (Least Important) tie

I like sports, HR-24, WH-HDDVR and the new HR34, hope to switch to D* on the 29th. This is subject to th convincing the wife factor, she likes DISH but like me doesn't like the OTA dropouts due to moving to the Midwest for CWS baseball...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)