Who has gotten $10 refund for Lifetime Channel

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I want to call up later today to get my $10 refund for Charlie's deletion of the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie channels, but want to make sure others are getting credited as well. How hard is it to get the refund? I read the post below:
"After a long stance on hold with DISH Network's Billing department, they offered me a one time credit of $10.00 for my inconvenience. Everyone is entitled to the credit if you ask for it and hold your ground. This is not widely publicized as it is only being offered upon request. The problem is simple, when you signed up with DISH; you entered an agreement that LifeTime was a channel in your package. It is DISH Network's problem to provide you with that channel or comparable compensation."

Do as you choose I suppose but his statement, "The problem is simple, when you signed up with DISH; you entered an agreement that LifeTime was a channel in your package. It is DISH Network's problem to provide you with that channel or comparable compensation." doesn't hold any water. As stated in the often cited residential agreement, "Programming is subject to change at any time without notice". If you feel entitled to a $10 credit then go for it although I have to wonder if they'll rethink giving out the credit if it's given too often.

Tom Bombadil said:
I'd like $10, but I'm not going to call and demand a credit for a channel I never watch. In the end, that only hurts me on the next rate increase.

Same here. I can't morally bring myself to get a credit for a channel my family doesn't watch. As for our business, if we're about to lose some customers because of channel shutdown, I'm going to mention this credit to them. Money talks in almost all situations.

Since it was one of my wifes' main complaints initially with VOOM that they did not have Lifetime, I called Dish and tried to get my $10 credit for the Lifetime cancellation. Dish flat out refused to give me a credit and stated that people on the Internet posting that credits were available were giving out erroneous information.

How about it guys, why are you getting credits that others are not?

If all 12 million subs petitioned for the $10, then Dish would have to give up $120,000,000 in credits.

Do you think this could be ignored when calculating subscription rates?

This is why I'm doubting whether they are actually issuing the credit. They have no way of knowing if you are just taking them for a ride, and the potential cost is too high.

mitchflorida said:
I want to call up later today to get my $10 refund for Charlie's deletion of the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie channels, but want to make sure others are getting credited as well. How hard is it to get the refund? I read the post below:
"After a long stance on hold with DISH Network's Billing department, they offered me a one time credit of $10.00 for my inconvenience. Everyone is entitled to the credit if you ask for it and hold your ground. This is not widely publicized as it is only being offered upon request. The problem is simple, when you signed up with DISH; you entered an agreement that LifeTime was a channel in your package. It is DISH Network's problem to provide you with that channel or comparable compensation."

You were fortunate to get this credit. I called and tried--both billing and Tech support and they refused! What is the magic word? I guess I could use this to break the contract I have with them, but I guess it is our problem if we signed a contract where the other party can change anything they want anytime they wish, but you can't!

Eventually, back to C-band!

bookwalk said:
You were fortunate to get this credit. I called and tried--both billing and Tech support and they refused! What is the magic word? I guess I could use this to break the contract I have with them, but I guess it is our problem if we signed a contract where the other party can change anything they want anytime they wish, but you can't!
Eventually, back to C-band!

It probably helps to get a female in the house to make the call and to be familiar with the programming you're missing. (i.e. "all I watch on Dish is Golden Girls and you've taken it away")

Tom Bombadil said:
I'd like $10, but I'm not going to call and demand a credit for a channel I never watch. In the end, that only hurts me on the next rate increase.

I've got to agree...plus the next time we have to go thru the exec office to beg for an equipment upgrade only reserved for new customers, I don't think begging for this credit will look very good on the account history!

I won't bother with asking for a refund . There is a rumor that the station will be back on in a week or so . . I very rarely watched it anyway, but it is the principle of it. I am tired of Charlie's bare-knuckle negotiating methods. . .

If it were the History Channel and not the Lifetime Channel, I would have demanded $25 refund. That is my favorite cable station!

nsafreak said:
Do as you choose I suppose but his statement, "The problem is simple, when you signed up with DISH; you entered an agreement that LifeTime was a channel in your package. It is DISH Network's problem to provide you with that channel or comparable compensation." doesn't hold any water. As stated in the often cited residential agreement, "Programming is subject to change at any time without notice". If you feel entitled to a $10 credit then go for it although I have to wonder if they'll rethink giving out the credit if it's given too often.

NSAFreak,

You are wrong, you entered into an agreement with Dish to provide you with a Package of channels, not a package with specific channels with permenently.

In your subscriber agreement, there is a clause that states Dish reserves the right to remove and or replace channels in your package at any time.

John

JohnL said:
NSAFreak,
You are wrong, you entered into an agreement with Dish to provide you with a Package of channels, not a package with specific channels with permenently.
In your subscriber agreement, there is a clause that states Dish reserves the right to remove and or replace channels in your package at any time.
John

Umm I think you should re-read what I said. I specifically stated that in the Dish Residential Agreement, "Programming is subject to change at any time without notice". I was quoting that the other person's statement that they contracted with Dish to provide specific channels does not hold any water because of what is in the residential agreement.

I remember back a year or two ago when MTV (viacom) channels got pulled due to a conflict. Everyone was talking about how they could get out of contracts but in the end you got to read it close. Dish can offer as many channels as it wants or remove them at any time. If your in a contract you won't get out of it free if you have a termination fee. I waited for my contract to end and went with D*. It's nice that Charlie wants to keep prices low but I got tired of never having the channels my family watched. I haven't had any of these disputes with D*.

I dont understand why people are complaining? At least Charlie is standing up and protecting his consumers. Lifetime will loose a big chunk without DIsh and he knows this. He is simply playing bluff. If my wife has to do without stuoid chic flicks for a week to save me another rate increase then way to go charlie, besides its not HD, LOL!

PS> CANT WAIT TILL CES!!!!

I just can not understand how greedy people are, people wanting refunds for channels that they probably hardly ever watch, wanting free this and that cuz they are long time customers and new customers get it and they don't. come on people, lifetime is just a channel that plays re-runs of old shows. it is not like its a major network like fox, abc or cbs. get real people, switching to a different provider cuz you can not see the re-runs of golden girls or will and grace. you people depend on your tv's too much, no wonder there are so many lazy and obese people in the USA. Get out and see what is really happening in the world and you will find that a loss of a tv station is not very important concidering whats really going on.

At first I was like most and opposed trying to get a refund for channels that I never watch. (although my wife might once in a while).

But then I remembered a relevant quote from years gone by... I paraphrase ... "Not charging a DVR fee was like just leaving money on the table".

Dish added the DVR for not good reason except that it would be paid. So not calling Dish and getting your Lifetime refund, it just like "Leaving money on the table". I'd call, but I'm kinda lazy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)