Why are the 2004 Olympics so boring?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I could not remember a time where the Olympics were so boring to watch. There's no fans in the arena. There's not excitment coming for the commentators. It is a very dull event. I find myself watching other HD programming and flip to it once in a while. I am only watching the HD version.

Actually I've been quite enjoying the gymnastics competitions for both men and women even already knowing the outcomes. I guess mainly because of the determination by several countries. There seemed to be more in attendance for the men's finals than the men's qualifying. The swimming and diving alternates between dull to meh, but I enjoy it more than the SD broadcasts because they hump Michael Phelps leg less during the HD broadcasts.

Some of the other non NBC primetime stuff has been good, like the vollyeball, women's softball, and some of the basketball games. I was looking through and I think we're going to get the gold medal round soccer/basketball games in HD. I also wonder why the U.S. didn't enter a men's soccer team?

I agree Sean , Boring. I moved to the Atlanta area a few months be for the Olympics came to Atlanta , and it was a blast, downtown was packed ever night at the centennial park and they were exciting to watch on TV and being there was great as well.

On a positive note, on the radio this morning they said ticket sales are up! They've almost sold out some of the events to 50% capacity! LOL.

DarrellP said:
On a positive note, on the radio this morning they said ticket sales are up! They've almost sold out some of the events to 50% capacity! LOL.

Darrellp,

they had to give away the tickets. Before they couldn't sell them. Now they are given them away.

Wasn't there also so major Greek holiday and Athens was empty for most of the weekend, I'm sure that these events will continue to draw people as this week continues, most definately the track and field stuff will be sold out.

I heard on the radio that most people in Greece were on Holiday and also most of them could not afford to buy the tickets. I vacationed in Athens for 2 weeks back in 1977 and Greece is a very poor country. The government is under fire now about how they are going to pay for the Olympics. Due to security they are several billions over budget. OUCH!

Sean Mota said:
Darrellp,

they had to give away the tickets. Before they couldn't sell them. Now they are given them away.
Some of the reasons are:

1. Many of our athletes are professionals with little motivation to be there. There too busy daydreaming of the next rolls royce they are going to buy when they get home.
2. Many of the pro athletes have not practiced under olympic rules or as a team. Can you say basketball?
3. Many of the athletes are arrogant and thats a turn off. Can you say Phelps?
4. Many of the US athletes "expect" this to be easy. Phelps comes to mind.
5. Many of our teams are simply outclassed.
6. People are turned off by Pros making poses wrapped in an American flag such as our last track and field winners of 2000.
7. The HD coverage is a joke? Its a day old for petes sake and plays over and over again.
8. How exciting is a boxing match when you know the punch total blow by blow? The excitment is gone.
9. Our female gymnastist look like theyve spent more time on makeup than practice.

1. This may be true of people like the Dream Team and Phelps but some of these olympic hopefuls are trying to earn some respect see Men's USA gymnists and Women's USA gymnists.

2. The Dream Team is the only one this point applies too.

3. Many of the athletes are arrogant and thats a turn off. Can you say Phelps? - I agree 200%

4. Many of the US athletes "expect" this to be easy. Phelps comes to mind. - This only applies to Phelps - other swimmers are living in his shadow.

5. Many of our teams are simply outclassed. - Other countries have come out with something to prove mainly Australia in swimming and China...but China always has alot invested in the Olympics, they practically kidnap infants and start their training at 2. USA women's soccer they started getting outshoved and outclassed by Brazil, but when they came out and with some fury in the second half Brazil wanted to call THEM the cheaters (one of hte best soccer games so far BTW). I think Phelps has been humbled, I am curious to see how he finishes out this week. Tennis tournaments are competitive IMO.

6. People are turned off by Pros making poses wrapped in an American flag such as our last track and field winners of 2000. - What poses? What was so bad about them? Does anyone have picture links that can refresh my memory?

7. The HD coverage is a joke? Its a day old for petes sake and plays over and over again. - It's less commercial, better announcers, and of course better quality though. I still watch the events and enjoy them for the sport and athletism. THen again I still watch some of the Bravo HD winter Olympic events.

8. What HD boxing are you seeing? Even if they did air it, no way would it be as good as the Tyson fight, not from NBC!

9. Our female gymnastist look like theyve spent more time on makeup than practice. - Man they kick ass don't talk bad about this year's midgets!

Dvlos said:
6. People are turned off by Pros making poses wrapped in an American flag such as our last track and field winners of 2000. - What poses? What was so bad about them? Does anyone have picture links that can refresh my memory?
The public relations lady for the US Olypmics showed the pictures on TV last night. She told the athletes to avoid doing things like that this year because it potrays them as too arrogant.

Dvlos said:
7. The HD coverage is a joke? Its a day old for petes sake and plays over and over again. - It's less commercial, better announcers, and of course better quality though. I still watch the events and enjoy them for the sport and athletism. THen again I still watch some of the Bravo HD winter Olympic events.
Enjoy ther sony commercial, the poorly timed breaks, the flyover shot over and over again.

Dvlos said:
8. What HD boxing are you seeing? Even if they did air it, no way would it be as good as the Tyson fight, not from NBC!!
The boxing was on MSNBC this weekend, not in HD. And the realtime punch count makes it boring IMO.

Dvlos said:
9. Our female gymnastist look like theyve spent more time on makeup than practice. - Man they kick ass don't talk bad about this year's midgets!
Your joking right? Did you see them on the balance beam this weekend? They are afraid of it, in stark contrast to the Romainians who attacked it.

I thought the men's gymnastic team final last night was the best I'd ever seen. No arrogant millionaires here, just guys trying their best. The skills displayed by the best athletes on their best events were astounding, esp. pommel horse and hugh bar.

Swimming - BORING. I only watch to see phelps botch the gold.

Soccer, tennis? Come on, we can see that any time. I wish they'd show more funky sports like judo or something.

The US soccer team didn't qualify for the Olympics, hence we have no team. Same with baseball.

As for the Michael Phelps bashing...I am swimmer (not at a high level) and I can assure you he did not "botch" anything. He set an American record and got a bronze behind the two greatest freestyle swimmers in history.

I don't see where he comes across as arrogant. His goal was to win one gold medal. He has stated that several times.

Saw my daughter in the stands, she looked bored!

My daughter is at the Olympics with her Greek husband and his family.
I actually saw her and her mother-in-law in the stands(thanks HD for the detail view) at the womens balance beam competition.
I know my daughter and she was bored.
Can't wait to talk to her about the experience, or lack of it.

I agree adamneh. Its mainly the media who are doing all the hipeing of Phelps. If it had been coming from another country you all would be calling it Propaganda.... :p Leave off Phelps, so what if he's a bit arrogant(I don't think he is), he's 19 and I know I was a bit arrogant at that age and never came close to his abilities in sports.

Dvlos said:
I think the picture speaks for itself...

story.us.afp.jpg

Because the Evil Red Empire is dead. No more Russians and East Germany! Tookl away the Good vs. Evil of the games.

The simple fact that professionals can enter the olympics really tarnished the games, and yes basketball is a good example

"6. People are turned off by Pros making poses wrapped in an American flag such as our last track and field winners of 2000". I agree, in this day and age, America must be alittle more restrained and subdued. I seen the picture of an althlete with one hand in the air with a flag drapped over his shoulders, it was probably appropiate then, must alittle more repoire is needed today.

vurbano said:
The public relations lady for the US Olypmics showed the pictures on TV last night. She told the athletes to avoid doing things like that this year because it potrays them as too arrogant.

Enjoy ther sony commercial, the poorly timed breaks, the flyover shot over and over again.

The boxing was on MSNBC this weekend, not in HD. And the realtime punch count makes it boring IMO.

Your joking right? Did you see them on the balance beam this weekend? They are afraid of it, in stark contrast to the Romainians who attacked it.

-Yeah thanks for the pic that was unsportsmanlike, unprofessional, and just plain ghetto fabulous.

-I'll take the same Sony commercials and raise you a Bob Costas.

-The punch count can go, but I wasn't paying attention to it anyway, I'm unsure of the exact Olympic rules for boxing my gripe was with several hits that seemed like sure hits on opponents that were not counted.

- I think the US made some minor mistakes on their routine, nothing that can't be fixed, overall they were what .56 behind the Romanians? That seems like a close race to me, with the the worst to come tonight (tomorrow in HD).

I think Mallawi Muhamarr or whatever her name is did solid on the balance beam, as did the other girl with the original routine (side split pivoting on one foot thing) and I thought they scored Team USA and China a bit low in some routines, and that they were all gushing over Romania a bit too much. Yes they deserve it, but these 4'2" twelve year olds are going to flake in the finals, even if they maintain total composure, I think Team USA is going to give them a run for their money.

I watched all the girls routine, Romania and Team USA consistently had the best landings, dismounts, and level of difficulty above and beyond everyone else (barring some minor mistakes), those two countries deserve to be in the top 2.

By the way, you guys should have watched the PBS special about the real Greek olympics, this professional/amateur thing is some sort of economic barrier segregation invented by snobby people in the 1800s. Do you think Chinese and Japanese athletes are "amateurs" hell no, they train since they are like 4 in the best places in their country (or sometimes here in the US) all funded by their country... they compete in world events and somewhere somebody is making money off them - sounds professional to me.

Maybe people are turned off, Americans that is, after we got whipped by an island country in mens basketball and realized that we could win this event if many of the NBA allstars were not cowards? Or if we sent a real "team"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)