Why are the 2004 Olympics so boring?

devildogg said:
Because the Evil Red Empire is dead. No more Russians and East Germany! Tookl away the Good vs. Evil of the games.
Great Point man..
Maybe THAT is why these Olympics are so damn boring..

Hopefully, later in the week when the "Greeks get back from Holiday", and there are actually some cheering crowds, the exictement will build.

But, i think several folks have hit it right on the head; between the American "attitude", the professionals who care more about their contracts, and their mansions in California, than having pride in representing their country, is what is killing the Olympics for most Americans...

Not defending the Chinese, but their fierce patriotism, and "do anything for their country" attitude is the reason why they lead in the medal standings, and will probably end up with more medals than anyone else...

I guess our young people are more interested in video games, gym shoes, and what their freinds think, than they are in showing pride for our country..
Still hope the USA gets it "sheet" together....

subdude212 said:
I think the picture speaks for itself...

story.us.afp.jpg
thar she blows. thats the picture. Doesnt the sportsmanship and clearly unplanned spontaneousness of the moment just bring a tear to your eye? Or do you find this a case of arrogance? gloating? posing? The bottom guy reminds me of something out of the WWF or WWE. LMAO

wase4711 said:
Not defending the Chinese, but their fierce patriotism, and "do anything for their country" attitude is the reason why they lead in the medal standings, and will probably end up with more medals than anyone else...

Brainwashing, they take these young kids and fill their heads with propaganda, still many leave these countries especially the ultra-poor common in search of something better. I do agree that money and greed has made plenty of atheletes arrogrant and stuck up. I feel that so far this year they are the humiliated exception (Phelps, Dream Team) not the norm (the rest of the swim team, and Team USA in other events).

the day any of you can shine these people's shoes will be a cold day in hell. do you have any idea of the work and training and 5am workouts 90% of these people go thru?? and you know what? they arent "wannabees", they arent "also rans". These people have made the olympic team. those nuts go full speed at that sprinboard and fly as fast as they can to the pommel horse and do a few spins flips and twists -then land on thier feet(mostly). what can u do? u think u got the right to rank on them when the most athletic thing you can do is work the pvr remote in the left hand while cradling a drink in your right?? how bout those guys on the rings? thats easy,huh? and I know I certainly can balance myself on a 4-inch wide beam and do flips --everybody can, cant they? you all make me want to puke so bad I just might win a gold medal for distance vomiting. die!

mattyro said:
the day any of you can shine these people's shoes will be a cold day in hell. do you have any idea of the work and training and 5am workouts 90% of these people go thru?? and you know what? they arent "wannabees", they arent "also rans". These people have made the olympic team. those nuts go full speed at that sprinboard and fly as fast as they can to the pommel horse and do a few spins flips and twists -then land on thier feet(mostly). what can u do? u think u got the right to rank on them when the most athletic thing you can do is work the pvr remote in the left hand while cradling a drink in your right?? how bout those guys on the rings? thats easy,huh? and I know I certainly can balance myself on a 4-inch wide beam and do flips --everybody can, cant they? you all make me want to puke so bad I just might win a gold medal for distance vomiting. die!
Deep breaths, dude. . . deep breaths. ;)

I got this from E* newsletter today... this would have been cool to see, if I still had them. Looks like they stepped up to the plate for their customers on this one.

"Don't miss a minute of exciting Olympic action.
View NBC's expansive Olympic line-up through DISH Network's special simultaneous picture-in-picture Olympic Showcase. A breakthrough six channel interactive mosaic will be the first of its kind in the U.S. You will see the Olympic glory unfold on MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, USA, Telemundo and a special daily highlights channel for DISH Network subscribers only. Beginning August 11, visit DISH Home (Channel 100) to watch new heroes emerge as the 28th Olympiad returns home to Greece.

NBC Showcase Highlights
All five networks and the TV Guide Channel will be made available for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to all DISH Network customers from Aug. 11 to Aug. 29, regardless of the programming package to which they subscribe.
Watch all six channels at once, or select a specific window to view in full-screen mode.
Experience an online interactive demo on www./////.com.
The Olympic Showcase is available on all Open-TV enabled receivers except DISH 811"

Sean Mota said:
I could not remember a time where the Olympics were so boring to watch. There's no fans in the arena. There's not excitment coming for the commentators. It is a very dull event. I find myself watching other HD programming and flip to it once in a while. I am only watching the HD version.
I disagree. I'm finding the Games to be quite exciting. Attendance and commentary have little or no effect on my enjoyment. I'm seeing all the excitement I need in the pool, on the beach, on the court (volleyball, not necessarily basketball), on the softball diamond. And I can hardly wait to see water polo and track! Boxing and tennis I could do without. Fencing and table tennis on the other hand...

The only thing that's detracting from the excitement at all is when I'm watching something in HD that I already know the result of. So I find myself watching mainly SD Live and just looking at HD for highlights of pretty swimmers - still waiting to see volleyball in HD :yes :D !

I didn't watch or check out any websites about the Olympics and was plenty excited this morning while watching the women's olympics. Team USA scratches a silver, while I think they got gypped in a few scores overall they did not perform with the solid consistency of the Romanians.

They have a chance to pull more medals in the all around, and individual events though. It does seem that Mens/Womens gymnastics have a good shot at some golds too. Of course on the ride to work the radio was blasting Michael Phelps ..... blah blah blah and listing the names of the winners from last night and I was pissed. I haven't SEEN it yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts