Why do HI subs get so few HD channels?

(I kid you not, I decided against contributing to the site or applying to be a pub member because I felt like it would be a waste of time and money since very few here seem to take Hawaii seriously)
You'd never be able to get actual helpful info from someone like me if you didn't. Welcome, espeically if you are from Hawaii.

It's one thing to post an answer to the question and make a humorous comment, but its another thing to just waste everyone's time posting a wisecrack about where you live without even attempting to post something remotely relevent to the topic.
I like to make light-hearted jokes about some posts - and make it obvious enough that I'm joking. ---> :D

If anything I get a kick out of myself. And I seem to recall getting a "LMAO" comment back today, so it was at least worth it for one other person.

Fortunately there are a number of posters on here who do make a serious effort to add to the discussions on here, it's just very frustrating when you have to wade through so much junk just to get to it.
Just search for posts from 'bebop' and you'll have mimimal wading to do! :D

Seriously though, it's easy to put someone on ignore and then you never have to read their post. I did that on another website and it worked great.

(PS - if you haven't checked out dish.sling.com for ViP series receivers connected to ethernet, you should. I love it!)

Actually both Dish and DIRECTV are now required by law to factor in AK and HI in all new satellites unless the satellite location is below the horizon for AK and HI. So, essentially AK and HI should start to see more and more as both Dish and DIRECTV launch more satellites.

AK and HI are not foreign countries, they deserve to have the same coverage. Hopefully Dish will follow through with 148 and have real AK/HI coverage when they launch their satellite to 148.

Part of the problem is likely that 129 is a Canadian slot, and as such, the government can't force them to serve Hawaii from there. E15 to 119 will likely have main-beam Hawaii coverage, as well as perhaps some spot coverage, but getting main coverage from 129 is what you need.

What sat does Dish intend to launch directly to 148? That slot will most likely continue to get leftover space junk.

I guess that after we added Hawaii, we should have added the states of Phillipines, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Maybe Dish could broadcast to them too. (just kidding) Whose side was Hawaii on in the big war anyway.

Sorry but I just had to respond to the most stupid comment I have ever heard. The war was started because Japan bombed Pearl Harbor IN HAWAII
SO WHAT SIDE DO YOU THINK WE WERE ON?

I guess that after we added Hawaii, we should have added the states of Phillipines, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Maybe Dish could broadcast to them too. (just kidding) Whose side was Hawaii on in the big war anyway.

For you knowledge Dishnetwork OFFERS service in Puerto Rico and also want to let you know Puerto Rico residents ARE BORN US CITIZENS.

Part of the problem is likely that 129 is a Canadian slot, and as such, the government can't force them to serve Hawaii from there. E15 to 119 will likely have main-beam Hawaii coverage, as well as perhaps some spot coverage, but getting main coverage from 129 is what you need.

What sat does Dish intend to launch directly to 148? That slot will most likely continue to get leftover space junk.

When Dish asked to move E1 and have 129 over there they mentioned a replacement being prepared for 148. They have to do so to keep their license.

The same reason Alaska gets so few. We are a small market, population wise, so the priority will always be for the lower 48. They will get around to AK, HI an PR when they get good and ready to. Then they will be on spots beam from 129, up to 35 channels. There still is spot capacity on 110, but they seem reluctant to add them to us.

Overall - I'm a satisfied customer here in Paradise... Do I wish I had more HD "You Betcha", but I really like the PQ of Dish and their equipment is a much better fit for the way we view our family programming. That said, what I just can't seem to understand is why an over 30 hour outage of KITV for Dish, Direct and OTA get's zero, nadda, zippo, zilch news coverage, and yet our local monopoly OTW the next day has a 40 minute outage and news reports all over the island of that outage. :confused:

While were on topic of HD from Dish out here in Hawaii - what ever happened to the Not Available Uplink Report 11/6/08 for 5513 TOON HD and 5514 APL HD ?

I know.... I know...... "Soon" :rolleyes:

While were on topic of HD from Dish out here in Hawaii - what ever happened to the Not Available Uplink Report 11/6/08 for 5513 TOON HD and 5514 APL HD ?

I know.... I know...... "Soon" :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm wondering the same thing.[/QUOTE]

And.... Uplink Report 12/3/08 for 5523 BRAVO N/A as well as 5526 ABCFM N/A ?

So we have possibly four HD channels that could become active "Soon" ;)

I'm wondering the same thing.[/QUOTE]

We in AK are wondering the same thing. Maybe now that the rest of Dishdom has the Viacom channels Charlie will get with the program and get us some more HD via the ones left to be turned on from 110, and the spot beams off of 129. Sooner would be better, rather than later.:D:D

I'm wondering the same thing.

We in AK are wondering the same thing. Maybe now that the rest of Dishdom has the Viacom channels Charlie will get with the program and get us some more HD via the ones left to be turned on from 110, and the spot beams off of 129. Sooner would be better, rather than later.:D:D[/QUOTE]

It is strange they have those beams for you and don't use them. Then again I don't understand how E* operates at all anyway. :)

Here in Hawaii, we get our current national HD channels on 110 (e*11 conus and e*10 spotbeam 47).

Two channels are e*11 conus signals:
USA & SCIFI.

Seven are simulcast on both e*11 conus and the e*10 spot:
TNT, HDNET, HDNMV, HDTHR, ESPN, HBO, SHO.

Ten are on the e*10 spot only:
TLC, ESPN2, ESNWS, NFL, TRV, TWC, UNIHD, VS, NTGEO, BIO.

Four more were uplinked to the e*10 spot late last year and have yet to be turned on:
TOON, APL, BRAVO, ABCFM.

If the seven simulcast channels were removed from the e*10 spot, seven HD channels would open up. With all this, plus the proposed 5-transponder spot beam from ciel-2, which should provide 35 HD channels, we'd have 42 more HD channels.

That could give us all the HD premiums and nearly every existing national HD channel that dish is carrying now. Alaska is in a nearly identical position.

I hope all this happens.........soon.

Here in Hawaii, we get our current national HD channels on 110 (e*11 conus and e*10 spotbeam 47).

USA & SCIFI.

Four more were uplinked to the e*10 spot late last year and have yet to be turned on:
TOON, APL, BRAVO, ABCFM.

If the seven simulcast channels were removed from the e*10 spot, seven HD channels would open up. With all this, plus the proposed 5-transponder spot beam from ciel-2, which should provide 35 HD channels, we'd have 42 more HD channels.

That could give us all the HD premiums and nearly every existing national HD channel that dish is carrying now. Alaska is in a nearly identical position.

Some of those spots are (or should be) taken by HD locals as well right? I haven't tried OTA since the digital conversion took place, but I've heard it's not quite as sketchy as it used to be...especially on a dreary day like today on Maui. However, I imagine most folks here would rather have all their locals (KHNL too) via satellite if possible.

Some of those spots are (or should be) taken by HD locals as well right? I haven't tried OTA since the digital conversion took place, but I've heard it's not quite as sketchy as it used to be...especially on a dreary day like today on Maui. However, I imagine most folks here would rather have all their locals (KHNL too) via satellite if possible.

We already get all the local channels (including KFIVE) in HD on Dish, except for KHNL (NBC). KHNL is broadcasting a very strong HD signal in UHF from the new tower location in Ulupalakua. It is very reliable and the PQ looks great.

We also currently get several HD PPV and VOD channels, so new space shouldn't be needed for those either.

We already get all the local channels (including KFIVE) in HD on Dish, except for KHNL (NBC). KHNL is broadcasting a very strong HD signal in UHF from the new tower location in Ulupalakua. It is very reliable and the PQ looks great.

We also currently get several HD PPV and VOD channels, so new space shouldn't be needed for those either.

Ah...gotcha...I was doing my math wrong.

Try the you tube coat hanger antenna. I put one in my attic and KHNL and KGMB bury the needle at 100+ on my 722. The other locals are strong as well, plus you get secondary local channels that are only OTA and you can use the OTA tuner on the dvr to help avoid tuner recording conflicts. :cool:

USA & SCIFI.

TOON, APL, BRAVO, ABCFM.

Did you notice in one of todays uplink report, the channels on the spot beams were moved off.

Did you notice in one of todays uplink report, the channels on the spot beams were moved off.

Wow, that actually happened......soon! :up

Those are the seven "simulcast" channels I was talking about. "Ask and ye shall receive" (no ask, no get).

Now if they can put some good stuff in those seven free spot slots (how about CNN, Comedy Central, and 5 more, maybe premuims), turn on TOON, APL, BRAVO and ABCFM which were uplinked last year, and load up spot 55 (HI) and spot 1 (AK) on Ceil-2 with about 35 more when they get a chance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)