why phone line?

kmmcdonald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
We just had a VIP622 installed. The installer plugged in the phone line. We have never plugged in the phone connection with any of our previous Dish boxes. We never use PPV, and I don't care about the caller ID feature.

Of what benefit is to me to keep the phone line plugged in?

Will there be any problem if I unplug it now?

When we originally ordered the installation, The Dish rep said that plugging in the phone line would save us $6 per month. Can anyone explain that to me?

thanks

Keith

Without a phone line you will be charged the fee for the second tuner, that is waived if it is plugged into a phone line. This fee applies to all the newer dual tuner boxes.

Without a phone line you will be charged the fee for the second tuner, that is waived if it is plugged into a phone line. This fee applies to all the newer dual tuner boxes.
True but this doesn't explain the "why" part of the charge nor can you.

Simply because the phone line has always been required they decided to add an incentive to get people to hook it up on the dual tuner receivers.

Because you would normally pay the second tuner fee if you have 2 single tuner boxes. With the dual tuner that is what you have 2 separate tuners but in one box, so they give you an incentive to plug the phone line in by not charging the extra tuner fee you would normally pay. If you don't want the phone plugged in then you will pay the fee and have a nag screen telling you the phone is not connected that you have to have dish remove.

Because you would normally pay the second tuner fee if you have 2 single tuner boxes. With the dual tuner that is what you have 2 separate tuners but in one box, so they give you an incentive to plug the phone line in by not charging the extra tuner fee you would normally pay. If you don't want the phone plugged in then you will pay the fee and have a nag screen telling you the phone is not connected that you have to have dish remove.
I only have 1 TV so how would I use 2 single tuner boxes?

the same way you use one dual tuner box.

The fee is there - get over it, or plug in the phone line.

True but this doesn't explain the "why" part of the charge nor can you.
It is a marketing thing...
when dual tuners first hit the market the phone line was not rquired..Someone at dish came up with the idea to add the phone line requirement as a marketing tool...They though if the phne line was connected it would create incentive to order PPV .....Like the candy aisle at the grocery store checkout..an impulse sale if you will...so dish said if you connect the phione line (and basically give them a chance to recoup the $5 discount), we'll knock 5 bucks off your bill ....
that's the best way I can explain the "why"...

Because when the box phones home they can tell what phone number they are coming from. If they are different then you get a phone call from the audit department. If you refuse to plug in the line and have multiple boxes you are more likely to get a call as well. But, if you have 3 (or more) boxes all plugged in to the same phone number then they don't need to call you...

They have always encouraged it. They just never attached a price to that incentive until the dual-tuner units became available. I just see it as a part of the price to play...

perhaps..but if E* was really concerned about that ,they'd "encourage" phone line connex in all receivers...

It's not cost effective to place a $50.00 part into a $99.00 unit unless you intend to pass that increase per unit directly to the end-user or retailers. Would you care to start paying $149.99 for your 301's?

How can Dish tell if the phone line has been unplugged? Does the box 'phone home' every now and then? I'm not trying to pull a fast one - I have a bad phone line running to the receiver and it interferes with my dialup [groan] connection something fierce. I had to pull the bridge clips from the 66 block to get my blazing 50.6 K back to snuff.

Yes, it will phone home every few weeks (more often if you purchase PPVs). You should be fine if you plug it in every week or so just to be safe and force a dial out (go to diagnostics screen and hit the dial out button - this is where it is on the 622 not sure which box you are using).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)