Why?

Kentstater72 said:
WOW.

I am here for information and to entertain myself during slow times at work.

I do not question if certain people belong on this forum.

Justalurker fits the entertainment piece and occassionally has some excellent insight. I am optimistic enough to look forward to the day when Bruce will provide some of the same.

What makes this forum so much better is the different views and approaches to the discussion.

So in conclusion, this thread provides much more value to my day than the spreadsheet I am working on.

Since you brought up my name, I will remind you of your "excellent insight", like that time you claimed that CBS would soon be on Voom via the Green Bay CBS station.
Oh here it is:

Kentstater72 said:
I was in Green Bay for the Giants game yesterday and had an interesting conversation.
I am going to let you guys figure out what the ramifications are but in essence Voom is talking to CBS about picking up their HD signal out of Green Bay for broadcast (everywhere but the Green Bay MPA) I am not talking Football, I am talking the entire schedule.
It seemed to me they are looking for a new way to handle Network HD.
The source is very credible, I on the other hand, was a little skittish to press for more details, but it sounds like something that could happen quickly.

Kentstater72 said:
Yeah.
The way he made it sound, we would be getting Green Bay news, local programing everything that their station put on the air. It would also be blacked out for that MPA.
They said that Green Bay was the chosen one because it has put a bundle into HD upgrades, is owned by CBS, and is a small MPA to loose for VOOM. He also was complaining that that station got hit with 55,000 fine for Janet Jackson. I guess they took a double hit because they own broadcast rights in the UP of Michigan

Kentstater72 said:
Well ya see this is where my ignorance kicks in.
Now first this was the post game so there were numerous adult beverages served, and second I do not know all the workings of the FCC like you guys.
I do remember him speaking of O&O just before I got my glasses knocked off by some kids throwing a football around the parking lot.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=206102#post206102

bruce said:
I will remind you of your "excellent insight", like that time you claimed that CBS would soon be on Voom via the Green Bay CBS station.

You mean it isn't? What have I been watching? :shocked

TheTimm said:
Just to be entirely accurate, the definition you linked to is printed below. While it does talk about actors, the only mention of "combatant", as you mentioned, is in the origin of the word -- not the definition. And under "Usage Note", it seems to me to say that most experts agree that it should not be used to describe the "anti-hero", and that other words (antagonist, troll ( :p ), villain) should be used instead.
Just to get the semantics out of the way before they cloud the issue any further (because I don’t think that is truly the topic under discussion)…I stand corrected! My use of the phrase “frequently the anti-hero” does relate to the origins of the word and is discussed at length in other references. Anyone actually interested in such stuff has only to do a search on dictionaries and delve to their hearts’ content to learn how and why the word came into being, and how it has become changed in common usage. I sincerely doubt that most are that interested…I only researched it to verify my own ancient understanding of the term—school days were a long time ago for me, and the old memory ain’t what it once was! :no

Most language experts do agree that other words are more descriptive today. So how about if we all just choose whatever word we feel more accurately describes the behavior? :) You already know my favorite! :p

TheTimm said:
I'm not suggesting debating the , ahem, "protagonists" in an attempt to change they're minds but to correct their misinformation for others who may be researching Voom and/or be new to the forums. If unchallenged, the statements may simply appear true.
I support and applaud your efforts and goals (and those of many others). :yes But I think that with people who have ulterior motives and don’t have the same regard you do for accuracy and truth...that it also serves to energize them to fabricate wilder and wilder speculation to support their agenda. Thus gaining wider exposure for their misinformation, and making them appear to be a more significant player than they really are.

TheTimm said:
Taunting may have been too strong a word (I don't think so), but he was definitely looking for a response -- it was a question that was posed, not simply a presentation of his views. I think we're fast approaching the point where the question needs to asked, "What do we gain by debating what we gain by debating those who are simply protagonists?".
Your point is well taken, as a question posed is usually seeking a response, but I took his answer to represent his views, which I share. Call it taunting, food for thought, or whatever…but at least it’s honest…and each individual can and will answer that (as well as your subsequent suggestion) for themselves.

TheTimm said:
And my applause goes to those "protagonists" for recognizing who they are, but I still don't know who he was talking about. If he is referring to the proponent/champion/advocate awkward usage portion of the definition, does his question also include those who are Voom's cheerleaders as well as the trolls? I was assuming he meant trolls, but that was just an assumption.
I can’t speak for the original poster, but my answer to your question would be “certainly”… if the Voom cheerleaders are posting twisted facts, half-truths, or omit pertinent information merely to try to advance ulterior motives! Just like with a troll, if they lack respect for accuracy and truth, it’s unlikely that any amount of reason, logic, or statement of fact will change the behavior. So in my opinion, there would be nothing to be gained.

TheTimm said:
Does his answer, "nothing", apply to what we gain by debating hyper-pro-Voomers as well? I think a main purpose of these boards is to spread information, and that we all have to share the responsibility of ensuring that as much of that info as possible is accurate. Debating those who present misinformation, opinions as facts, and/or outright lies is an important part of that responsibility IMO, even if at times it feels as if it's accomplishing nothing.
Again, I can’t speak for the original poster, but my answer would be the same as above. I don’t disagree with your intentions at all, but my time and energy are limited, so when the diminishing returns aspect clicks in with people who manifest ulterior motives, I eventually chalk it up to maliciousness…and a poor pitiful waste. :no

TheTimm said:
I assure you I wasn't suggesting that bradley is a protagonist -- or any other character from a play ( :p ). I was just flipping his script on who "lament's on such an issue?" -- having a little fun, which is how I hope bradley took it. I really do enjoy his posts.
I did not intend to imply that I thought you were suggesting that. I’ve seen enough of your posts to recognize your humor. :) I’m sorry that I left that implication. :eek: I wanted to convey my opinion of what type of person I thought would start such a thread, as it is opposed to my preferred word for “protagonist”…which is trolls. My only excuse is that I was trying to fly out the door to an appointment, and didn’t formulate my views there as carefully as I usually try to do. I apologize for that. :yes If I’m going to insult or offend someone, I prefer it to be deliberate, not accidentally! I’m sorry!! :eek: Vicki

It appears my optimism was unfounded.

Bored at the end of the day so I guess I can waste my time and respond.

I notice that the heading of my posts regarding Green Bay were not included.

The word Rumor is missing.

A word some unnamed individual should look up for the definition.

I wont mention the name because he then appears, not unlike Beetle Juice.

Vicki said:
If I’m going to insult or offend someone, I prefer it to be deliberate, not accidentally! I’m sorry!! :eek: Vicki
LOL! Great line. And as far as I'm concerned you have absolutely no need to apologize. You've neither insulted nor offended me -- and I sincerely hope that I haven't insulted or offended anyone either. I just wanted to make sure my views were clear -- and like I said, I have a lot of free time. :D

I was just reading this thread and find it funny that certain people find it necessary to defend themselves even though their names were not mentioned. That in itself lends to the topic at hand.

jhogue@hrtc.net said:
I was just reading this thread and find it funny that certain people find it necessary to defend themselves even though their names were not mentioned. That in itself lends to the topic at hand.
Ahhh.. the rarely-mentioned second most important purpose of these boards: to amuse jhogue. :D Glad to help -- see, I just did it!

TheTimm said:
Ahhh.. the rarely-mentioned second most important purpose of these boards: to amuse jhogue. :D
OMIGOD!! I was about to crack wise on the origin of your definition (Irish or what???), when I took another look at the prior post!!

jhogue@hrtc.net, nice to meet you! Timm, you're a lot quicker than the average bear! Vicki :D

Kentstater72 said:
WOW.

I am here for information and to entertain myself during slow times at work.

I do not question if certain people belong on this forum.

Justalurker fits the entertainment piece and occassionally has some excellent insight.

I think that there are some people who are here for their own entertainment, but what they enjoy doing is antogonizing others. :dev (Not directing this at JL)

There are also those who take it too seriously, or get too defensive. And this fits right in with what the previously mentioned group is trying to do and things escalate. :(

Then there are a few who I think are on steriods, bad drugs, or a permanent bad hair day. :p

The rest of us are here for information, maybe a laugh or two, and to share a common interest. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts