Will DirecTV really ever be the leader

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some actually base their choice strictly on what they see as PQ. I have to weigh in what is actually on the bloody TV. So for me, D* is the leader. You guys want to enjoy looking at apple pie on E* in beautiful HD fine, when you get tired of it and want to become a real man come on over in September, my Eagles should be on and we can watch some Football!:p

Some actually base their choice strictly on what they see as PQ. I have to weigh in what is actually on the bloody TV. So for me, D* is the leader. You guys want to enjoy looking at apple pie on E* in beautiful HD fine, when you get tired of it and want to become a real man come on over in September, my Eagles should be on and we can watch some Football!:p

AMEN!

Eagles Kick ASS !!! I've never watched a football game on my new Sony yet! Only had it about 4 months. Can't wait to watch Eagles in HD!!

1) True
2) False. Charter's PQ sucks. It's HD Lite.
3) True

Come on Vurbano, get in the corporate game. Like DirecTV is ever going to say anything but that their PQ is great. Please. You expect *way* too much from a publicly traded company.;)

I knew someone would find a company worse. Lets just stop all of the D* "shilling" until they demonstrate that they will improve PQ. LOL

What should the signal strength be on H20 receiver?

I told Directv that I"m getting about 71 signal strength on H20 and they are saying it should be about 80. What is the average receive signal strength? when storm or rain occurs, I lose all programming. please email me @ NSDQ160th@hotmail.com. Thank you.:eek:

Cablevision is the current HD leader at 40 channels, of course they only serve a small area in NY area. Come Aug 15th E* will retake their HD lead again until D* make good on there 2004 promise of 150 HD channels.

I knew someone would find a company worse. Lets just stop all of the D* "shilling" until they demonstrate that they will improve PQ. LOL

LOL

I'm not shilling for PQ at all. For me, my MPEG4 locals look just as good as the OTA versions. I can't go by anything other then that. I know that Charter's HD around here has a lot to be desired. DirecTV's current MPEG2 HD is nowhere near where it used to be. We'll see what happens in the future. If they hold to what they've done to MPEG4 locals then the future is bright. If not then we're all in the same boat again and have to choose a provider based on the lesser of 2 or 3 evils.

There is no FIOS here and most likely never will be so that isn't an option for me.

LOL

I'm not shilling for PQ at all. For me, my MPEG4 locals look just as good as the OTA versions. I can't go by anything other then that. I know that Charter's HD around here has a lot to be desired. DirecTV's current MPEG2 HD is nowhere near where it used to be. We'll see what happens in the future. If they hold to what they've done to MPEG4 locals then the future is bright. If not then we're all in the same boat again and have to choose a provider based on the lesser of 2 or 3 evils.

There is no FIOS here and most likely never will be so that isn't an option for me.

I can't see any difference either between my MPEG4 locals and OTA either. My SD channels look better with my new HR20-100 then they did with my Tivo HR10-250 though.

Cablevision is the current HD leader at 40 channels, of course they only serve a small area in NY area. Come Aug 15th E* will retake their HD lead again until D* make good on there 2004 promise of 150 HD channels.

Wasn't that just my point? Number of channels and you pick a winner??
Once again, when I see all those Sunday NFL games in HD on my set and they can not be gotten by any other company, how could anyone else be the HD leader except D*? Of course if you would rather go shopping every Sunday with the wife...to each his own.

Again I must ask - isn't this discussion getting a bit old already. No matter how you slice it, there is NO winner here - it is all a matter of preference and personal taste.

Again I must ask - isn't this discussion getting a bit old already. No matter how you slice it, there is NO winner here - it is all a matter of preference and personal taste.

Yes,
This thread is now some 16 pages long about how each individual would like to count their HD channels so each can be the best.

Personally, if I could get ONLY the channels I want in HD I would be happy, and they can turn off whatever I don't watch :up

Of course that would bring up the old topic of Ala Carte programming...
If it were me ... and I 'm not, I would close this tired thread...:sleeo

Jimbo

Hope I'm not violating an internal rule but I want to post the below here and I've already posted it in another forum.................

First, while I am new here, I have been on other HD sites for years and have had HDTV for at least 5 years. That being said, most discussions always center around the number of channels available, their cost, who is better, etc. NO ONE seems to care about Picture Quality (PQ) which to me is the premium.

I don't want a lot of crappy , low PQ channels. I want as many HD channels I can get; and not just HD but crystal clear HD. Not HD Lite either.

I now have Brighthouse Network which has excellent quality with no compression of the signal. Their problem is that there seems to be no concern for adding additional HD channels. The Direct TV additional 150 HD channels starting in September has caught my attention. However I only read about the current crappy overcompressed DTV signal resulting in microblocking, pixilating on fast motion sequences, etc. I have none -0- of this on Brighthouse Cable.

No one seems to talk much about this regarding DTV, except to accept it as part of the experience. MPEG 4 is just another compression scheme, and compression is the enemy of a clear, picture which looks life-like. Bit rate is another picture killer. My question therefore is there anyone here who is an "expert" (define it in your own way) in what to expect about the September

I now have Brighthouse Network which has excellent quality with no compression of the signal.

Hardly .....
Brighthouse uses the same compression everybody else does ...
If not they would have about 10 channels .

Mpeg4 is a different type of compression, it should alow D* to have a good number of improvements.

EVEN OTA channel use mpeg2 compression.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)