Will DirecTV really ever be the leader

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hardly .....
Brighthouse uses the same compression everybody else does ...
If not they would have about 10 channels .

Mpeg4 is a different type of compression, it should alow D* to have a good number of improvements.

EVEN OTA channel use mpeg2 compression.

Jimbo

Sorry Jimbo, you are WRONG. Brighthouse adds NO compression to the signals they receive. DTV does though, much to the detriment of their PQ.:p

Sorry Jimbo, you are WRONG. Brighthouse adds NO compression to the signals they receive. DTV does though, much to the detriment of their PQ.:p

Please provide documentation for your claim.

This is quite IMPOSSIBLE, with out ANY compression you would never get the picture on your screen.

As mentioned, show us the documents...

I have spoke with the 4 local engeneers here in town and have a good relationship with all of them.
When I talked with them about MPEG compression, he said they all use mpeg2 currently, but they do their compression a bit differently than what the sat and cable companies do.

Jimbo

Impalas1ss,
Where are you and what Brighthouse service do you have.
I only ask , so I can look into the correct Brighthouse cable to find the answer to your statement.

You can PM me with this if you don't want to put it out in the public (your location).

Jimbo
You all know where I am :)

Last edited:
This is quite IMPOSSIBLE, with out ANY compression you would never get the picture on your screen.

As mentioned, show us the documents...

I have spoke with the 4 local engeneers here in town and have a good relationship with all of them.
When I talked with them about MPEG compression, he said they all use mpeg2 currently, but they do their compression a bit differently than what the sat and cable companies do.

Jimbo

Engineers from Brighthouse network in Central Florida where the headends are?

The process of converting to QAM adds its own compression. Unless Brighthouse has stopped using QAM, they are re-compressing the signals.

They do use QAM but claim this adds no compression. If you are right, they are wrong. If they are right, you are wrong. I only know what I've been told by Brighthouse engineers.

Impalas1ss,
Where are you and what Brighthouse service do you have.
I only ask , so I can look into the correct Brighthouse cable to find the answer to your statement.

You can PM me with this if you don't want to put it out in the public (your location).

Jimbo
You all know where I am :)

I'd appreciate it Jimbo. I am in the Central Florida area.:)

Please just stop trying to pass this off as info you know, and just admit you are wrong and back away. The statement is just plain wrong.

I have stated all along that this is information the Brighthouse engineers have told our Central Florida High Definition club. Could you make us aware of how you know this is incorrect? :hungry:

I'd appreciate it Jimbo. I am in the Central Florida area.:)

I am currently waiting to hear back from Brighthouse, at the time of my inquire, I did not know where you were, so I inquired with Brighthouse out of Tampa, but I think they are one in the same, could be why I have not heard back yet, they may have passed it along.
I will pass along what ever info they send back to me, but I would find it shocking to see a Cable company NOT using mpeg 2 compression or something comprarable to it, as the OTA channels are only ONE channel and they have to use it in order to get the signal out to the masses, with a Cable Company sending out hundreds of channels, I don't see how they would do it.
Maybe I will call and talk with my friends that have the connections to the local cable company and see what they have to say about it, this could be enlighening, seeing I have not had cable TV since '91.

The info I posted about the compression issue is the same from every OTA engineer I have spoke within the area. My area that is, NW Ohio and SE Michigan.

I wish I could find my old email as I am sure he sent me something stating this, but it was awhile back and more than likely it is now gone off my computer.

Jimbo

Jimbos the Tampa Bay Area and Central Florida Brighthouse systems aren't the same. I believe they pass on the same quality HDTV though but one uses SARA software with Scientific Atlanta hardware while the other uses the Passport software with Motorola hardware.

Tampa= SARA with SA hardware.
Central Florida= Passport with Moto hardware.

I hope this helps you out just for your information.

I don't want to sound mean,or rude ,But this thread is called "Will Directv really be a leader" NOT ,," Does Brighthouse compress its signal" We Know Directv does,so thats that IMO. Its about 2 pages long about Brighthouse. Maybe this could be a new thread in the Brighthouse Forms. I'm in this Directv thread to talk about Directv being an HD leader,lets get this cable talk out of here. Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts