Will Voom Show a real DVR tomorrow at CES 2005? Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean, its fine to crack jokes but the press conference was cancelled. We'd like to know why. DirecTV came out swinging today, and so far Voom has done nothing but promise us 200+ SD channels that most of us could care less about.

Sean Mota said:
Bruce,

You are too much...man... What is it that you have E*? There are some press releases from E*, I am sure they will welcome you overthere :D

It was a joke, don't start taking me too serious, I said for a while now that as soon as Voom gets a DVR out and my RSN I would give them another try, and even through I have E* , I have learned to believe nothing they say or put out in a press release.

Sean Mota said:
Bruce,

You are too much...man... What is it that you have E*? There are some press releases from E*, I am sure they will welcome you overthere :D

Bruce,

That's not a good sign when the moderator is telling you to basically "take a hike".

If VOOM doesn't announce their DVR today, then I consider that a BAD SIGN.

What exactly is VOOM showing at their booth right now???

Has anyone who is at the show seen the VOOM DVR yet? Are there pictures somewhere? and how does it work with the program guide? Is it a different program guide with a search function? Can you watch an OTA station while you record another OTA station?

Please - no replies about what you "heard" it can do - only facts please.

jnardone said:
Has anyone who is at the show seen the VOOM DVR yet? Are there pictures somewhere? and how does it work with the program guide? Is it a different program guide with a search function? Can you watch an OTA station while you record another OTA station?

Please - no replies about what you "heard" it can do - only facts please.
I don't have an answer but although all your questions are interesting, the big question is WHEN? I was expecting the now cancelled Ucentric/VOOM conference to answered it :(

Warning just speculation: but I wonder is this has anything to do with the canceled press conference. I personally don’t put a lot of faith in CBS’s reporting, and it is touted as specuialtion, but I don’t remember seeing anything even this close to ‘firm’ before.

"Also, speaking of EchoStar, Eagan is convinced that the company, led by its mercurial chairman, Charlie Ergen, will buy Cablevision's Voom satellite for between $125 million and $175 million.

Cablevision (CVC: news, chart, profile) said last month that its planned spinoff of Rainbow Media Enterprises - which includes Voom, cable networks AMC, Women's Entertainment and the Independent Film Channel; and the company's Clearview Cinemas unit -- has been postponed for the third time this year.

The reality may be, said Eagan, that Cablevision has decided to sell the satellite, and Voom's current orbital slot complements EchoStar's existing orbital locations."

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/sto...-92D9-6241BAC6DCA7}&siteid=google&dist=google

I honestly hope this isnt true, but hey who knows if its even half true.

The show has been going on all day and there are no reports of anyone seeing the VOOM DVR?

How about re-opening the poll?

Scott will. Just be patient. He is a one man show trying to do video, interview, photos for the entire CES 2005! I am sure tonight we will read or see information about it. So hang on.

For whatever it is worth Scott just announced that he had seen the Voom DVR. Go to main page and listen to him....

A quick update from Scott: VOOM has the "580" DVRs at the booth but for some reason not on display. All demonstrations are run from the real 580 DVRs, even though the 550 STBs are displayed. They seem to be operational, though the software is not fully ready yet. The release is expected in March, according to what he was told. Scott took some pictures and taped a demonstration, but it will be at least another couple of hours before he will get a chance to post his reports here.

Update: As later reported by Scott and others, the VOOM DVR was shown on display during the CES-2005. Scott must have missed it somehow on the first day...

LOL, I missread that as the number of DVRs was 580 heh, not the model number :)

BFG said:
LOL, I missread that as the number of DVRs was 580 heh, not the model number :)
Oooops... ;)

RPacion said:
:confused: Can you explain where to go to listen to him?
Thanks.
Go to www.satelliteguys.us
There is a "talking head" there that plays Scott's audio updates from CES from time to time.

Yeah he starts talking about it then it goes Voom D...

He must've run out of time.

Ahh the suspense!!!!! :)

This will be the only way Voom will be able to jump ahead of the competition. When first mentioning the DVR and whole home network they mentioned the originator of the technology. That was a year ago. If they don't release both the DVR and whole house networking by march or sooner they will be a failure.

So VOOM is NOT showing a DVR!!

Ilya said:
A quick update from Scott: VOOM has the "580" DVRs at the booth but for some reason not on display.

"for some reason" huh.

Unfortunately, I must declare the people who voted "no" in this poll correct.

jnardone said:
"for some reason" huh.

Unfortunately, I must declare the people who voted "no" in this poll correct.

They all wrong whomever posted no. There's more than meet the eyes in these things and more behind the scenes which is not revealed all at once. When the time is right, it will be revealed. For now the DVR is real and that's what matters... What happens next, we can all speculate (at least some know what is going on but those are not talking :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts