Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
Well a few hours after yesterday's post suddenly get a text watch will be here today (my moms). So, it came about 3 weeks earlier than initial estimate, and a week earlier than even the update earlier this week. I hope my watch comes a few weeks earlier.

pCbdFs2.png

While I appreciate the humor of technology notification trumping common sense (with tragic consequences), she is left-handed, and not too many lefties wear their watch on their dominate hand. Apple makes it easy to flip the ?Watch display and controls for wearing it on either wrist.

I was in our Apple Store yesterday picking up an order (I got the new Lightning Dock for my iMac and a shorty Lightning cable to connect it to the back of the iMac) I noticed that approximately 75% had on their ?Watch. I asked the associate that had scanned in my Order Pickup code if everyone had their ?Watch and he said almost everyone did. His was the ?Watch Sport with the black Sport band. He also said that in a few days they should have stock on most of the Sport models. He couldn't promise that the stainless models would be stocked at the same levels.

Hopping on the the Apple On-Line Store shows varying shipping times depending on the size (38 mm seems to be 1-2 weeks, 42 mm is 2-3 weeks, unless you want the 42 mm Space Black ?Watch which is showing 4-5 weeks). I don't see an option to select delivery to my local Apple Store, but I didn't go that deep into the order process. After the stores get stock I expect that information will be exposed earlier in the order process.

I saw this today in a recent stock holder's blog:

Apple Device First Day Sales:
iPhone (2007) = 270,000
iPad (2010) = 300,000
Apple Watch (2015) = more than 1 Million!

Time to 1 Million Sales:
iPhone (2007) = 74 Days
iPad (2010) = 28 Days
Apple Watch (2015) = less than 6 Hours!

I saw this today in a recent stock holder's blog:

iPhone (2007) = 270,000
iPad (2010) = 300,000

Time to 1 Million Sales:
iPhone (2007) = 74 Days
iPad (2010) = 28 Days

I'd argue that it is because of the incredible success of the iPhone and iPad that the Watch took off so quickly. What the was time to 1 Million sales for the iPhone 6/6 plus?

No pun intended but you are not comparing apples to apples. To compare iphone 6 to Apple watch we will need to come back and do the numbers for the Apple watch version 6, not the first release. Plus it was well known by purchasers that this was a preorder with a long wait time. That kills sales out of the gate. If they allowed you to wait in line and walk out with one the first day, maybe the first day sales would have been more like 10 million. The real sales estimates will be known after the watches are available anywhere the Apple line is available, even places like Verizon store and Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Afterall, the watch is an accessory to the iphone and for that reason, it should be available wherever iphones are sold. Meanwhile, iphones are now the leading smartphone sold in China. As such the watch will be a natural automatic accessory as soon as they are readily available.

Well my black stainless model finally arrived yesterday. I have been playing with it off and on finding a lot of features kind of by accident.

I like how easy it was to take links out to adjust the size. I ended up taking 3 of them out.

I've always wanted a stainless/gold band and now 3rd party suppliers have one out. I know it will be thicker than the Apple product, but I am looking forward to crossing that desire off my bucket list. It was not expensive so if I don't like it, $30 sitting in the drawer, won't be too bad a hit. I got the all stainless 3rd party band for the same price and it is of very high quality construction. Not real Gold of course bands that are have a much higher price tag.

Was shipped from USPS distribution in Flushing, NY on June 18, so it could arrive any day now.

61ma-l9WZ3L._SL1001_.jpg

The one thing I like about the Apple watch over all others is this watch has a huge list of accessories and from lots of suppliers. Plus the way the bands attach, you can have one watch with several bands for a fashion look, like men who have a number of neckties with one suit.

iPhone (2007) = 270,000
iPad (2010) = 300,000

Time to 1 Million Sales:
iPhone (2007) = 74 Days
iPad (2010) = 28 Days

Although these numbers will probably make shareholders feel good about the product, I don't think they really mean much in the long run. Does it mean that Apple Watch will become more popular than iPhone or iPad? I don't think so.

The first iPhone wasn't that good. It didn't even have GPS or 3G (unlike some other smartphones at the time). When the first iPad came out most people didn't think they would needed one. Tablets were not too popular. I think the market is much better prepared now for Apple Watch, than it was prepared for the first iPhone or the first iPad. And Apple's marketing is much more advanced. Hence, much quicker start.

Last edited:
)When the first iPad came out most people didn't think they would needed one. Tablets were not too popular. I think the market is much better prepared now for Apple Watch, than it was prepared for the first iPhone or the first iPad.
Can't the same be said about wearables today?

I've always wanted a stainless/gold band and now 3rd party suppliers have one out. I know it will be thicker than the Apple product, but I am looking forward to crossing that desire off my bucket list. It was not expensive so if I don't like it, $30 sitting in the drawer, won't be too bad a hit. I got the all stainless 3rd party band for the same price and it is of very high quality construction. Not real Gold of course bands that are have a much higher price tag.

The black stainless band from Apple is really constructed well. They really went all out with the band, you take links out by pressing a button and pulling them off, just like how you change the band on the iPhone.

My gold/stanless band arrived today and while not as easy to resize as Apple SS band I was able to do it in a few minutes. It is resized with the tools provided and uses the traditional split pin link removal method. The 3rd party gold/stainless is better than I expected especially for the money. IT's quality is the same as sold for $175 at a local jewelry store and that one would still need the adapters for the 42mm SS Apple watch. This one comes with everything including spare screws for the adapters and a special screw driver. I ended up taking out two links for a perfect fit. The outer SS is a perfect match finish to the Apple SS finish too.

It's weight is more than the Apple SS but not by much because it is thicker. The clasp is similar to the Apple design with the two side locking buttons. I ordered this through Amazon on June 6th and it arrived today with an expected delivery of July 21st.

For the black SS Apple watch, I had seen another 3rd party offer a black SS band with Gold trim for in the $35 price range.

I'm still waiting for my wife's Rose Gold band she wanted but I see it has shipped from China Saturday.

Attachments

• P1020242small.jpg
    P1020242small.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 123
Illya- Apple watch can't become more popular than the iphone because the Apple watch is not a stand alone. It, for the present anyway, is an accessory to the iphone. We see it as a % of iphone users who would buy the watch. But, for some people like me, who wanted an Apple watch really bad, I was willing to give up my perfectly adequate Samsung for an iphone 6+ too. I'm sure I am not alone in this. The Apple watch can encourage iphone conversion too.

Still liking mine!
I've got to the point where I can't imagine being without my Watch.

Still liking mine!
I've got to the point where I can't imagine being without my Watch.
Why? What do you use it for? If not interested in the biometrics and sport features, why have one? I asked an Apple employee about his. He actually uses it very little. As far as Apple Pay goes, he says your iPhone must already be unlocked for it to work. Heck, if I've unlocked it, it's in my hands and I don't NEED the watch! From him, I'm not missing it. It is what it is, nothing more.

Can't carry my phone with me while working but still connected so I can get and send messages. Used it for phone calls even though I have ringer turned off.
Fitness features are secondary but I'm always interested how much I do during the day and especially at the end.

Why? What do you use it for? If not interested in the biometrics and sport features, why have one? I asked an Apple employee about his. He actually uses it very little. As far as Apple Pay goes, he says your iPhone must already be unlocked for it to work. Heck, if I've unlocked it, it's in my hands and I don't NEED the watch! From him, I'm not missing it. It is what it is, nothing more.
That's absolutely not true. The watch has to be unlocked (you have to have entered the security code since the last time you put it on), but it has nothing to do with the phone. I've left my phone in my office and used the watch at a vending machine on the other side of the building so you definitely don't need to have the phone unlocked.

Reactions: TheForce
he says your iPhone must already be unlocked for it to work.

Not true. I'm no expert by any stretch but when you say unlocked, my iphone 6+ goes dark after 3 minutes and I need to enter my code to open it up and use it except to answer calls which I rarely do. BUT, when a call comes in or an email, or a text message or a stock price alert, I get it on my watch. This afternoon, I got some photos of my grandkids from my son in law. The watched tapped me on the wrist and I looked down and it was my grandson photo on the watch. Usually at home my iphone sits on my desk in my office. But I take phone calls and and other stuff from my wrist anywhere. If I go to the end of my back yard I lose connection. The BT range on my iphone 6+ and the Apple watch is the best I have ever experienced. This afternoon, I heard thunder, so I opened up the weather map on my watch and saw the storm rolling in on the radar map. I haven't used the Apple Pay feature much yet, mainly because I don't shop much but my wife does and she never has to unlock her iphone 5. Just double press the side button and up pops the CC image, hold to the sensor and feel the tap and it's paid.

I only have a dozen apps installed right now. Even with some 3000 claimed to be available, I don't find anything beyond what I do have yet. From what I have seen that story will change with the wOS2.0 this Fall.

The one app I miss from my Sony that is not yet available on the Apple watch is a flashlight. So, if I need to use the watch as a flashlight, I activate the weather map which lights up the face white. That works but a real flashlight app would be nice.

Some rarely used features I find the watch nice for when I use them is controlling the audio player on the phone. I can access the audio books and control it from the watch. If I want to show a photo to someone, I can display my entire library of images on the iphone, zoom in on the watch display and bring one up full screen.

While this is strictly a personal use and not everybody would find it important, I have my BP cuff that works with the iphone control and logs the data automatically. Later if I want to check something, the BP cuff device now supports the Apple watch and I can bring up the charts and data as well as control the cuff to take my Blood Pressure and check if I am experiencing any atrial fibrillation or flutter. This also ties in the data with I heart app and other health apps for a complete health data base. This can also be sent to the cloud where I can authorize my doctor to receive the data.

I have seen others with Apple watches claim they don't find much use for them too. It becomes quickly obvious to me they just don't care to learn what all it can do. Nor do they want to spend the time to learn. One guy had one for 3 weeks and still didn't know how to access the Home screen and had never customized his watch face. It took it out of the box, paired it and that's it! I am surprised my wife uses so much of it, she never wants to return to a dumb watch. My son-in-law uses his watch to control his iphone 6 camera. I haven't tried that feature yet but he says that's his favorite feature.

Of course, lest I forget, Siri is a great way to just talk to your watch and get the answer on the screen.

I go whole days and never pick up the big iphone 6+. Don't need to! Just need to have it near by. But, I have to be careful because not looking, the iphone battery can get low after a couple days. So, there is an Apple watch app that monitors the iphone battery, so if that gets too low, I get an alert and it tells me to plug in the iphone soon.

As mentioned above the watch has a separate Apple Pay system. In fact you can have different CCs on the phone and watch. The watch will pay without the phone connected in any way (i.e. you leave phone at home you can still use watch). I have used it a few times on the watch, it is far better than it was on the phone. It really makes me want new retailers to start supporting it.

I find myself using it all the time for texts and calendar events. I do have the stand up reminder feature on, it is good to remember to get up and stretch once an hour if I have been concentrating too long at the computer.