Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

There is a setting for the amount of cloud space Google allows. If you select "high quality" (what does that mean ??), the storage space is "unlimited" and free. If you select "Original" resolution, you get 15gb (for free).
Google's "high quality" means that they use lossy compression (and scaling at >16MP resolutions) to further shrink the size of your picture and movie files. "Original" means that they leave your content alone.

The fine print of Google Photos and why you shouldn't ditch iCloud Photo Library just yet

Did not have to specify a carrier when ordering the watch this morning so there is a single cellular chip for all. Remains to be seen if activating that function is optional.
The reason I asked is because the $30 cellular watch that I was reading about supported GSM only.

Google's "high quality" means that they use lossy compression (and scaling at >16MP resolutions) to further shrink the size of your picture and movie files. "Original" means that they leave your content alone.

The fine print of Google Photos and why you shouldn't ditch iCloud Photo Library just yet

I don’t need to read that article to be skeptical already. Google allows users to store photos in their original format and gives 3x the amount of space vs iCloud. Now, when it comes to non-free cloud storage, I don’t know how their prices compare.

I don’t need to read that article to be skeptical already.
There isn't anything to be skeptical about. Google "overstates" what they're offering by implying that their reduced file size version is somehow better than original by creating a "high quality" versus "standard" comparison. Of course the marketroids wouldn't allow them to call it "efficient" format.

The watchful of us know that with each round of lossy compression, something is always lost.

The other takeaway from the article is that while you can choose to store reduced size and quality pictures in iCloud, Apple graciously stores the original bloated pictures somewhere (until they don't).

Happy with the 7+ 128GB, just don't see myself upgrading to the 8+ because one there is no 128gb model since 64gb is not enough for me and wireless charging and a minor camera upgrade not enough for me to upgrade.

Not enough of an upgrade, to me, from my 6+. I want bands 12 and 71. Everything else is fluff.

After 2 days of reading and viewing opinions on the iphone X and the 8+ I made a decision! :)

First of all after reviewing the price of the iphone X and the 8+ there wasn't that much different in the price for a 256 model. Yes, I want that amount of storage if I plan to use this mostly for a camera in 4K. So with that said, it seemed that the iphone X was the clear winner in 256GB version. The big negative for me was the screen size. It was not a 16x9 AR meaning that some part of the normal 16x9 video capture would be cropped or shrunk with side bars. Could not find an answer to that. This means that my screen may be smaller than my current 6+ which is perfect for my old eyes.

The next negative was the pixel density. I really wanted a native 4K screen for maximizing my 360VR work. The iphone X just does not have that.

The next negative was the limited slomo feature which was not slow enough in the higher resolutions compared to competition.

The other limitations were not all that important but there were many in my list.

So with that said, I am going back to my original plan to buy a Sony Xperia XZ Premium G8142 64GB which has everything I wanted plus it has a higher pixel density camera at 19MP enabling pretty fair Digital IS but no OIS. That appears to be the only negative I could see for my use. Having a 19MP camera in 4K allows a better digital zoom in post editing so that is not a major problem that it does not have twin lenses as do the iphones.

The Sony offers some nice features such as 64GB internal storage plus microSD cards up to 256GB which will be better than the iphone. It uses an Octacore processor like the Samsung S8 and supports real time AR with 3rd party aps. 960 Frames per second while shooting normal 60 fps for a couple seconds on the fly. That is amazingly slowmotion! The slower iphoneX only does 240fps but not at 4K. It has a hard camera shutter button that doubles as a focus control.

Negatives for the Sony-
The camera lacks OIS which I did want.
The US version has the fingerprint disabled. Have to buy the international version to get that feature.
The international version has no warranty in the US from Sony, only a return for defective product from Amazon.
The body finish is prone to fingerprints and needs to be wiped off, often.

So, I purchased the international version from Amazon for less than half the price of the iphoneX with a few $ credit I had. $585 with the sales tax. I also got a sim card for T-mobile which will allow me to prepay for LTE as I need it with no service contract. I like that for a second device that will mainly be used for a camera and 4K field monitor.

I will continue to use my iphone 6+ which is working fine.

I could have purchased the Sony back in June when it was released, but decided to wait for the new iphone for a final decision. They may be great for some people but they just did not measure up to the Sony XZ Premium for my needs.

Don will once again be an Android owner. I hope it is more stable than what I had in the past.

I'm getting the 8 for my wife and I . I need more storage and I didn't even know AT&T was running a bogo deal on it until after I ordered it , it was on their main page . So that's one of the reasons why I'm upgrading . That and the 32gb isn't enough storage and I'm tired of having to always delete stuff off my phone .

Saw that Verizon shipped my iPhone 8 plus. In the past when I've ordered, it's been from Apple, so the phone has taken a global journey from China to Alaska to the US. This one is starting in Pennsylvania. :D

Is it Friday yet?

Different, but related: those of you with experience with QI charging pads -- any favorites? I want to order one for my office.

My wife noticed both of our iPhone 8 Plus’s are in Pennsylvania as well. 3 days to go before I get a phone with a working Touch ID again.

One of the local news stations went to the Apple Store this morning to cover the release of the iPhone 8 and there were only 9 people in line.

They said it looks like the iPhone 8 is a bust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)