Yankees and Braves will be watching the Playoffs this year

There is still a ton of baseball to be played , before the playoffs get here, I've been saying that for several weeks now, each week the standings change.

Lots of Yankees vs. BoSox games left, some in a week or two, I don't remember which it was now.

Jimbo

JonUrban said:
From the Red Sox, yes. From the entire division? WRONG. Check out the stats from 2000 to 2005. Except for 2000 and 2003 when Toronto was +10 and +4, every other team was below .500. Really tough division :rolleyes:

Now that is a stupid reply. There are 5 teams in a division, right. At best there will only be 3 teams with winning records (generally 2 winning, 2 losing and 1 about even). Guess what, thats exactly what you produced with your 'stats'.

My comment didn't say every team had a winning record, only that they have had competition within the division (unlike the METS who have ALL losing teams THIS YEAR) - and I think the Boston - NY record speaks for itself - tell me that this is NOT competitive.

Anyhow, The Yanks are now extending their 'lead' over the METS in team record this year - and they play a MUCH tougher schedule overall than ANY NL team will play THIS YEAR (I said THIS YEAR).

Sorry that the facts don't back you up.

Jimbos said:
Boy ,
You Yankees fans just keep going back to years gone by, are you the only team on the planet ???

Not to start an arguement, but, Who are the current World Series Champs ???
And the year before that ????

When was the last Yankee bought championship anyway ?

Jimbo

btw, I am not a Chi Sox fan at all

I think that if YOUR team had SO MANY championships, you would LOVE TO REMEMBER THEM ALSO.

And the RedSox with the 2nd highest payroll - they didn't buy a championship? and the METS - now with the 3rd highest payroll - what is that?

The 'bought' a chamnpionship thing - is the chronic whine of a LOSER. All of the BIG MARKET teams have huge payrolls (DODGERS, METS, REDSOX, YANKEES, WHITESOX). Notice that the small market teams LOVE when the Yanks, RedSox come to town - its the only time they fill their stadiums - plus they get luxury tax, which the owners put in their pockets, they don't even spend it on improving their teams! That is the big joke.

Look, I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest here, this is not WFAN. We don't need to go back and forth with "My teams wonderful and yours sucks". I would hope that we are all beyond that.

The Yankees spend the most because the MAKE the most. The good part is that they spend the money they make on the team and not on "other" things. Good for them.

The good teams always *should* beat up on the bad teams, but they don't always. As I said before, in 2004, the Mets won 4 out of 6 from the Yankees, but really, the Mets were not a good team. Does the fact that they won 4 games mean they were better than the Yankees?

Everyone should root for the team they chose and stop worrying about what other teams fans think. Really.

Let's get back to satellite stuff, and expend the same amount of passion on things like Distant Networks and Service Mergers!

JonUrban said:
Let's get back to satellite stuff, and expend the same amount of passion on things like Distant Networks and Service Mergers!

All you have to do is stop posting in THIS THREAD and post in another of your choice. This is for sports, there are plenty of threads for you OTHER areas of interest.

ScoBuck said:
All you have to do is stop posting in THIS THREAD and post in another of your choice. This is for sports, there are plenty of threads for you OTHER areas of interest.

Man, the YANKE$$ fan never stops...

26 championships
26 championships

No wonder why they are universally hated................:rolleyes:

ScoBuck said:
I think that if YOUR team had SO MANY championships, you would LOVE TO REMEMBER THEM ALSO.

And the RedSox with the 2nd highest payroll - they didn't buy a championship? and the METS - now with the 3rd highest payroll - what is that?

The 'bought' a chamnpionship thing - is the chronic whine of a LOSER. All of the BIG MARKET teams have huge payrolls (DODGERS, METS, REDSOX, YANKEES, WHITESOX). Notice that the small market teams LOVE when the Yanks, RedSox come to town - its the only time they fill their stadiums - plus they get luxury tax, which the owners put in their pockets, they don't even spend it on improving their teams! That is the big joke.
You make some good points,
Just how many of the NY championships have you seen ?

My team is neither a small or large market, well I guess it's closer to large, but not NY size......
My teams owner said a year ago : When we are good enough that we need a few players to get to the top (playoffs I guess) he will get the guys needed...
I have to beleive him seeing he's done the same thing in the other sports he's in.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
You make some good points,
Just how many of the NY championships have you seen ?

My team is neither a small or large market, well I guess it's closer to large, but not NY size......
My teams owner said a year ago : When we are good enough that we need a few players to get to the top (playoffs I guess) he will get the guys needed...
I have to beleive him seeing he's done the same thing in the other sports he's in.

Jimbo

I have only seen 10 Yankees Championships! Many more WS appearances!

Who is YOUR team BTW?

JonUrban said:
Man, the YANKE$$ fan never stops...

26 championships
26 championships

No wonder why they are universally hated................:rolleyes:

Amazing how you would complain about a Yankees FAN or a Yankees FOE in THIS thread. You want discussion about satellite issues and DNS - but YOU COME INTO A SPORTS THREAD (that has the Yankees and Braves as its topic) AND COMPLAIN. That is a first, someone coming in to complain about ON-TOPIC discussion - and wanting the thread to become OFF-TOPIC. Thats why people that post OFF-TOPIC are universally HATED also.

There are many threads and topics related to your interests - just go and post in them. If this stuff is bothering you (and it obviously is) don't view it.

And BTW, Yankees fans might be hated by some, but they are LOVED and ADORED by many ALSO!

Look, you must have a real problem. I have said complementry things about the Yankees in my posts, have tried to calm things down by doing so, but you insist on rattling the cage, so what the heck. I can hang with you all the way. You want to talk sports?

Being a Yankee fan is not hard. Rooting for the team with a salary of twice that of the next team in baseball is not hard. Rooting for the team that, when an injury is encountered, just goes out and gets the first available All-Star on the market is not hard. (Gee, our 3rd baseman injured himself in the off season! Oh well, we'll just go get "the best played in baseball" and move him to third!) Rooting for a team that is "supposed" to win, making the whole "sport" idea a moot point, is not hard. What's the big deal? If the Yankees lose in the post season, the fan can always blurt out "26 Championships!" Is there a player on another team that gives us a hard time? No problem, we'll just sign him! $225 Million dollar payroll? They better win.........

Be a Kansas City fan, a Tampa fan, be the fan of a team that is not supposed to win every year - those are real fans. Mets fans have been through the crapper with horrible ownership and management. Real Mets fans have stayed with the team. Red Sox fans are the most loyal of all, Cubs fans too. How about those Cubs fans? Those are real fans.

For someone to be a Yankees fan, then berate the fans of other teams because they don't spend the same amount of money is easy.

It's not hard to be a Yankees fan. It's safe.

Just wait until George is no longer their, and his son becomes "Fiscally responsible". Then, those that remain will be true Yankees fans. Until then, life's a breeze!

JonUrban said:
Look, you must have a real problem. I have said complementry things about the Yankees in my posts, have tried to calm things down by doing so, but you insist on rattling the cage, so what the heck. I can hang with you all the way. You want to talk sports?

Being a Yankee fan is not hard. Rooting for the team with a salary of twice that of the next team in baseball is not hard. Rooting for the team that, when an injury is encountered, just goes out and gets the first available All-Star on the market is not hard. (Gee, our 3rd baseman injured himself in the off season! Oh well, we'll just go get "the best played in baseball" and move him to third!) Rooting for a team that is "supposed" to win, making the whole "sport" idea a moot point, is not hard. What's the big deal? If the Yankees lose in the post season, the fan can always blurt out "26 Championships!" Is there a player on another team that gives us a hard time? No problem, we'll just sign him! $225 Million dollar payroll? They better win.........

Be a Kansas City fan, a Tampa fan, be the fan of a team that is not supposed to win every year - those are real fans. Mets fans have been through the crapper with horrible ownership and management. Real Mets fans have stayed with the team. Red Sox fans are the most loyal of all, Cubs fans too. How about those Cubs fans? Those are real fans.

For someone to be a Yankees fan, then berate the fans of other teams because they don't spend the same amount of money is easy.

It's not hard to be a Yankees fan. It's safe.

Just wait until George is no longer their, and his son becomes "Fiscally responsible". Then, those that remain will be true Yankees fans. Until then, life's a breeze!

Amazing. You being a supporting founder - long time member is offended when someone responds to your clearly OFF-TOPIC posting by asking you (and not flaming you in any way) to avoid the thread if it bothers you. I would have thought you would see the point of my post. Instead you come back to fight!

I don't see where I berated any team - I have berated some owners for POCKETING the luxury tax they collect. But the bottom line is - should I go into a DISH thread and ask them to talk about the Yankees (or related)? Because that what OUR back and forth is about - You basically have told me (and others) to stop talking sports because you prefer to talk about DNS and sat stuff. I told you that's fine, but find yourself a thread (or start one) on YOUR interests.

Re-read what you posted, you will see that this makes sense.

I should just ignore you, but this is too entertaining.

OK, here goes:

My original post indicated that the Yankees have made a career beating up the weaker team (Which is something they should do, any team should do) in post #34

What kills me is how YANKE$$ fans alway point out how rotten the National Leauge is, when they themselves have fattened up every year for the last decade on the likes of Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Toronto in their own division - not to mention Kansas City and the other crappy AL teams.

In that post, I also spoke well of the Yankees:

I am a Mets fan, but I have to admit that the YANKE$$ have done a great job getting themselves together this year, both team management and field management. You have to be impressed that they have come all the way back.

Your reply in post #35 was that they Yankees have ALWAYS had strong competition within their own division

Quite the opposite really, as every single year they have had STRONG competition from WITHIN their division.

In post #36 I pointed out with statistics that while the Red Sox have been strong competition, the rest of the division (Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay) had only been over .500 twice collectively since 2000.

You then said that my stats didn't prove a thing, and that the Yankees now had a better record than the Mets (Not sure what this had to do with the AL East discussion)

Now that is a stupid reply. There are 5 teams in a division, right. At best there will only be 3 teams with winning records (generally 2 winning, 2 losing and 1 about even). Guess what, thats exactly what you produced with your 'stats'.

My comment didn't say every team had a winning record, only that they have had competition within the division (unlike the METS who have ALL losing teams THIS YEAR) - and I think the Boston - NY record speaks for itself - tell me that this is NOT competitive.

Anyhow, The Yanks are now extending their 'lead' over the METS in team record this year - and they play a MUCH tougher schedule overall than ANY NL team will play THIS YEAR (I said THIS YEAR).

Sorry that the facts don't back you up.

So, at that point, I made what moderators refer to as a "Peace Post", basically saying lets drop this point and move on. I did NOT indicate that we should talk about non-sports in this section, I just suggested that instead of spending energy making stupid sports-talk radio arguments, we should instead direct that energy to other things/

Look, I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest here, this is not WFAN. We don't need to go back and forth with "My teams wonderful and yours sucks". I would hope that we are all beyond that.

The Yankees spend the most because the MAKE the most. The good part is that they spend the money they make on the team and not on "other" things. Good for them.

The good teams always *should* beat up on the bad teams, but they don't always. As I said before, in 2004, the Mets won 4 out of 6 from the Yankees, but really, the Mets were not a good team. Does the fact that they won 4 games mean they were better than the Yankees?

Everyone should root for the team they chose and stop worrying about what other teams fans think. Really.

This is where you were supposed to reply with something like "You're right, let's see what happens in September and maybe we'll meet in the playoffs and then the real fun will begin". But no, we're going around one more time because you them posted this:

Again, argumentive. And once again after I made a SPORTS comment about your 26 Championships, or should I say the Yankees 26 championships (You actually have as many as I do - NONE!), you again tell me that I am in the "wrong place"

Amazing how you would complain about a Yankees FAN or a Yankees FOE in THIS thread. You want discussion about satellite issues and DNS - but YOU COME INTO A SPORTS THREAD (that has the Yankees and Braves as its topic) AND COMPLAIN. That is a first, someone coming in to complain about ON-TOPIC discussion - and wanting the thread to become OFF-TOPIC. Thats why people that post OFF-TOPIC are universally HATED also.

So, anyway, it's not worth it. You can have the last word. This thread is going nowhere. I am surprised that it is still open. However, I'm out of it. Good Luck and Good Night!

JonUrban said:
I should just ignore you, but this is too entertaining.

Funny how I feel exactly the same way about you. You come in state a ridiculous argument, and end it by saying to change the thread. Too funny.

I saw no reason to stop the discussion in THIS thread just because YOU said so. In fact, there are others including the OP that have continued within this thread and seem to be fine - including a couple that said I made some good points.

Glad you decided to hijack the thread, but if you don't want to be part of it, find one that you like better, that's much better than starting a feud. If the OP was willing to agree that he was premature in his topic, its NOT for you to direct traffic IMO.

Gee, I lost track of what was happining in this thread, it looked like a good thread, like a few others in the Sport section have become...
But I lost intreast when people continue to complain and bicker about who said this and who said that.

Let's quit complaining and get back to the topic of discussion :)

A week or so, I thought that the Yankees were not going to make the playoffs, thinking (at the time) that the BoSox were going to win it in the East, but now that Varatek went down it kind of changes the situation.

Now I am not sure if the BoSox have enough to make it, perticularly that the Yankees are getting thier injuied back.

On way or another This series with the ChiSox will be big, Either the ChiSox will be loooooong gone in the AL Central, or the BoSox and Yankees will still be going back and forth.

If Chicago takes the series (and I doubt it) it will help the Red Sox....

Anyways, it looks like a interesting rest of the season.

Hopefully the Tigers will continue to roll ...:)

Jimbo

I second the motion to get back on track!!

It's a long season and in my eyes the only shoo-ins (For now) are the Tigers and Mets, but I repeat it is a long season.
To recap since this thread started the White Sox have faded, the Yankees have gotten stronger but the Red Sox are still hanging in there.
The series starting tonight (Yanks and Sox) will either push the Sox out or just tighten up the overall picture, this is more important for the Sox.

I do believe the Braves will be watching from the side lines!!

Thank goodness - people still want to discuss the topic.

rcbridge: I agree with most but not as far as the RedSox 'hanging in there'. since this thread started on july 5th they have gone from +3 in the loss column to -2 in the loss column - and if it wasn't for some GREAT late inning heroics they wouldn't really be that close.

I only say that because even on NESN they say that you CAN'T count on winning in the ninth that way all the time - it will bite you in the butt.

The injuries they have now, on top of not making any decent trades last week have hurt their chances severely. It will be interesting to see if they can overcome the loss of Varitek and Nixon (who average 135 RBIs a year) as well as the Yanks did for Matsui and Sheff (who average 235 RBIs a year).

Let's see if they can COWBOY up!

sidekick said:
It's so amazing to me how much time people waste trying to validate their own views to others. If someone doesn't agree with you? So what .... Get a life ...

Obviously NOT a sports fan. Sports 'discussions' like these have been going on forever. Without a feverish, almost fanatical fanbase, pro-sports would not exist.

IMO, people that have the time to waste telling others to get a life are generally the ones that really need one! When I hear an argument or discussion that doesn't interest me, I pass without the need to throw digs at those people - I just look for topics that ARE of interest to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts