Your Predictions For The New Year

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Well you knew "soon" a thread like this was coming. What are your thoughts and predictions on what Dish the company/service will look like at this time next year. Any thoughts on programming, hardware or just the company in general.

I think at the least we will see the other Disney channels light up in HD, I know that's going out on a limb. Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I see more churn in the new year thanks to a bigger price hike than Directv and now the grandfathered hopper dvr fee and 2nd hopper fee is going up AGAIN. DISH was just starting to make positive gains last quarter, after standing still or losing subs for so many years and now all that will be lost AGAIN.

I predict that programming will cost more, hardware fees will continue to inexplicably rise, and that the Hopper3 will bring at least one new "because we can" fee that will pi$$ us all off. !sadroll

...and Charlie will still be pan-handling on street corners begging if anyone has any spare cell-phone companies he can buy. :haha

Here are my predictions...

DISH and DISNEY / ABC will come to a deal and we will see the DISNEY / ABC channels back on DISH plus a few new ones.
We will see Joe Clayton try to fly into CES wearing a Superman Cape to introduce the Super Hopper and Super Joey.
DISH will attempt to purchase T-Mobile, and while they probably won't be successful it will push up the buying price for Sprint who will ultimately purchase them (T-Mobile)
DISH will continue to partner with Sprint and expand broadband tests around the country.
Sometime during the year in a surprise announcement one of DISH's big names in management will announce they are leaving the company. No reason for them leaving will be announced.

DIRECTV will show off a live broadcast of 4K at CES. We will see that they are able to broadcast 5 4K channels using just two transponders of satellite space by using a new technology they will call "Transponder Fusion" which will combine two transponders into one allowing for 5 channels of 4K television.
DIRECTV will also announce a new 4K compatible GENIE system, but make no mention when it will be available.
DIRECTV will implement newer encoders which will do a better job at encoding content, which means they reclaim a bunch of bandwidth while keeping the picture quality the same.
DIRECTV will work to start creating their own version of DIRT so that sites like SatelliteGuys can better support DIRECTV's customers. (God I HOPE this one comes true!)
DIRECTV will terminate the Cutting Edge Program instead opting to use a private group of Beta Testers (which in actuality they have been doing in awhile now.)

SiriusXM will announce a new deal with Netflix and Netflix will announce they are the new home of Howard Sterns "Howard TV" and besides being on demand will also become one of Netflix's first LIVE broadcast channels.

mine would be add alot more new apps for the hopper and also some new hd channels also

Allen

I hope they don't waste their money on 4k. I prefer they use that money to continue improvements on the Hopper system and try to keep costs low.

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowsk...Here are my predictions...

Scott must know something we don't and can't say but good and interesting predictions!! :D ;) :)

Based off of the other thread about phasing out old receivers, I predict we will start to see the Western Arc transition to MPEG4, and hopefully free up some space for a large batch of channels added (beyond a Disney/ESPN resolution). Whether that batch be RSN's, remainder of premium movie channels or just other channels that are available in HD, I am not sure.

I predict Dish will correct half the existing bugs in the Hopper system, while only introducing an equal number of new bugs.
Of course the half they fix will be the ones that affect me. The new ones will only affect you, because I never use those features.