Your Predictions For The New Year

Sorry for the dumb question but what is this 4k talk about? ?? What does it do or mean? ??
4k is the latest in video technology that is out right now. HD is 1920x1080 and 4k is 4096x2304... ie... much greater resolution. 4k is often used now in theaters because it leads to a better resolution on large screens.

It has limited in house appeal because in order to benefit from the added resolution, you need at least a 55 inch screen. You'll also need to get a new 4k blu-ray player.
Still waiting for some channel moves so I can finally switch to Dish (Disney channels in HD, NBCSN in 200). Hopefully 2014 will be a great year for Dish!
Don't know if the NBCSN to 200 (or lower) will happen in 2014, if ever.

CES 2015: Announcing the NEW HyperHopper!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If I was Dish I would partner up with Netflix. Then change BB@Home to Netflix@Home and have it include a subscription to Netflix WHILE also creating a Netflix channel to show their original programming on a loop. Oh and this would be exclusive to Dish, ie DirectTV can't partner up with Netflix to provide same thing.

So BB@Home would be turned into Netflix@Home, include same channels and on demand choices while adding Netflix's library and it's own dedicated channel for original programming. Bump the package to the $12-15 range for the included netflix subscription you get and it would be a great deal/package while possibly cutting back on those who want to switch to stream only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know if the NBCSN to 200 (or lower) will happen in 2014, if ever.

While certainly not imminent in 2014, I've wondered if NBCSN could make a move down to AT200 or even lower when they take over the second half of the NASCAR season (Sprint Cup and Nationwide) in 2015. I wonder if they have a retrans renewal due before then. Can't imagine NBC or NASCAR would want Cup races on such a high tier, and might want to force their hand to get into a lower tier.

4k = ultra high def = much ado about nothing, unless you have an extremely large screen.

It has limited in house appeal because in order to benefit from the added resolution, you need at least a 55 inch screen. You'll also need to get a new 4k blu-ray player.

And sit close enough to actually see the difference. To see 1080 over 720 on a 55" you need to sit about 7ft or closer. 3 1/2 ft for 4K! Many to most do not sit close enough now to see 1080 over 720.

Exactly. If I did BD, 1080p would be okay, otherwise, 720p is just fine.
The distance is critical. Playing PS3 with the remote plugged in to charge it, and the detail is a lot more impressive than four or five more feet away.

Would be nice if CES will be the place for the announcement of the Disney channels back up in HD

Last edited:
maybe that at ces will be getting all the disney hd channels back also will scott going to CES?

Allen

I could be wrong, but when they did I think it was usually announced at Team Summit, but hey there is a time for change right!
It'd only make sense if there was a drastic change in media availability... like live streaming Roku channels for Disney owned stations.

But honestly, why wait if there is already an agreement? Dish would already be paying the higher rates without giving their subscribers the HD.

But honestly, why wait if there is already an agreement? Dish would already be paying the higher rates without giving their subscribers the HD.

From what I have read on this forum and what has been reported, the amount to pay for the channels has been agreed upon. But the entire agreement isn't done yet because of the digital rights piece. The last update we heard from Dish back in Oct. was that they had a "short-term extension", so my guess is that they are still operating under the previous agreement and they are paying the same rates for the same channels.

From what I have read on this forum and what has been reported, the amount to pay for the channels has been agreed upon. But the entire agreement isn't done yet because of the digital rights piece. The last update we heard from Dish back in Oct. was that they had a "short-term extension", so my guess is that they are still operating under the previous agreement and they are paying the same rates for the same channels.
I understand that. Someone suggested that maybe they are waiting for CES to launch the new agreement, which would seem like nonsense.

I think that the day they sign they would be required to release the information. Both are publicly traded companies and the signing of an agreement would be very material to the business. They could make a big show of it at CES or Team Summit if Dish gets a lot of new toys like "approved hopping", ESPN App, new HD, etc., but the agreement would be long known by then.

I think that the day they sign they would be required to release the information. Both are publicly traded companies and the signing of an agreement would be very material to the business. They could make a big show of it at CES or Team Summit if Dish gets a lot of new toys like "approved hopping", ESPN App, new HD, etc., but the agreement would be long known by then.

Highly unlikely that they would release this in an SEC filing. I just looked at all of Dish's 8-K Item 1.01 releases (Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement) going back to 2009 and there were no carriage agreement items disclosed this way. Although we may all care a lot about this, it does NOT make it material under SEC rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)