Your Predictions For The New Year

Not many as Directv's increases are alot less than dish's. People forget that Dish's equip fees are going up like 10 bucks. Where as DirecTV's doesnt have any.

Dish's equipment fees are going up $10? The only thing increasing are the packages and people with the old Hopper pricing. The Hopper increase only affect a small portion of customers.

I'll bet DirecTV customers will have little idea that Dish had a price increase and even if they did know they'll see that it's still half the price as DirecTV when looking at the promo price. All it takes is a price increase to push a lot of people over the edge and all they look at is the intro price. Even after the intro price they'll see that their final price is still cheaper or similar than what they had with DirecTV.

Dish customers are going to do the same. Their bill increases and they see that DirecTV's intro price looks better than ever.

I predict cord cutting will be the hot new trend. It's already begun this year but you'll hear it even more. More and more products will come out that allow you to watch shows online and more shows become available online. Almost everyone will be familiar with the idea of just watching their shows online using apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

By the end of 2015 you'll start seeing the cost of watching shows online nearly double from what they have been. I'm guessing by 2017 there won't be a huge difference in the cost between satellite, cable and online viewing

Not many as Directv's increases are alot less than dish's. People forget that Dish's equip fees are going up like 10 bucks. Where as DirecTV's doesnt have any.

1. I didn't see VIP receiver fees going up, certainly nowhere near anything like $10.
2. I didn't see where the Hopper fees are going up $10 (unless you have three hoppers). Isn't it $2 for first, $5 for second increase? And isn't there a $5 rebate per month for 18 months for grandfathered subscribers?

I predict dish will add the aereo app to the hopper thus ending these ridiculous local channel fights

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I also predict there will be many angry customers who have receivers other than a Hopper who want access to their locals easily through their non-Hopper receivers.

By the end of 2015 you'll start seeing the cost of watching shows online nearly double from what they have been. I'm guessing by 2017 there won't be a huge difference in the cost between satellite, cable and online viewing

I also think the prices will eventually rise or there will be caps or data plans on or for Internet.

While online pricing will go up, due to online providers putting out new content, I really doubt that it will double within 2 years (even including internet service price increases). I really think that the cableco/telecos will use IPTV as a way to sell a service that is closer to ala carte than what is currently available with lower pricing (although per channel pricing will be higher). They'll keep their standard tv service as a premium for people who don't want to think about their packages or who watch a lot of tv. I think in the long-run that this will really hurt the satellite services because they won't have an alternate way to sell tv packages.

I predict cord cutting will be the hot new trend. It's already begun this year but you'll hear it even more. More and more products will come out that allow you to watch shows online and more shows become available online. Almost everyone will be familiar with the idea of just watching their shows online using apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.
Except for sports. That is what still has some people who are willing to cut the cord, still in the game. Companies like Comcast and Disney have paid a ton of money for programming and have linked any chance of watching that content via subscribing to their channels.

Viewing stuff online isn't cheap at all. It is cheaper to wait and buy the DVDs, it is just that there is an a la carte portion to being able to pay for the show(s) you really have to have, ie... paying only for what you actually want. I think many commercials will be part of the online viewing experience. Commercial free would come at an added premium.

Viewing stuff online isn't cheap at all. It is cheaper to wait and buy the DVDs

Depends on what and when. Watched the first three seasons of Breaking Bad in a month with Netflix...$8.95. DVDs would have cost $42.00.

Last edited:
I predict that Dish introduces another Hopper because Directv is going to do the same thing with another Genie, and have their show area at CES next to each other, so they can go at each other, and have a boxing match between Genie and kangaroo Hopper with Joe Clayton as the referee and Charlie and White as the judges:D and whoever have the biggest price increase wins :fencing::popcorn

I predict that Dish introduces another Hopper because Directv is going to do the same thing with another Genie, and have their show area at CES next to each other, so they can go at each other, and have a boxing match between Genie and kangaroo Hopper with Joe Clayton as the referee and Charlie and White as the judges:D and whoever have the biggest price increase wins :fencing::popcorn

I don't think you are not to far off, I would not doubt that at CES there will be "marketing" by both companies on who has the best DVR

Plenty of talk regarding the possible super Hopper, would be interesting to see if a new Hopper does come out, what will make it super as the current HWS, is a great one. If Dish does come out with new stuff that the current HWS can't do, looks like they are moving to releasing a new receiver about every year/year and a half

Maybe No more Blackouts for NFL but would like to see them for college sports as well.
Maybe Dish will get all the ESPN's and Disney stuff behind them and we get some HD channels back.
Maybe a Hopper 2 maybe with 4 tuners and able to export recordings to all platforms like Windows Tablets and Android so forth.
Maybe a Hopper Tablet would be a cool thing.
Maybe more Improvements to the Hopper itself.

Just some ideas I guess. :)

You mean like the PocketDish? Didn't that thing flop pretty badly?

Not necessarily. There were a lot of upset people when the VIPs came out, which were not compatible.
It wasn't the VIP's that were not compatible, it was the MPEG4 that was not compatible.

I had a PocketDish and I much rather the iPad experience we have now. The issue with the PocketDISH was that the platform was not well designed or supported. The amount of apps and things it could do was limited.

It wasn't the VIP's that were not compatible, it was the MPEG4 that was not compatible.

The irony of this true statement is that the Archos players used mpeg4 native. I had to spring for the "cinema" plug-in to get my mpeg2 DVD rips to play on my 404. So why didn't Archos ever make mpeg4 work too? My supposition is that Dish mpeg4 at that time was all HD, and Archos didn't do HD on these early players.

The issue with the PocketDISH was that the platform was not well designed or supported. The amount of apps and things it could do was limited.

The PocketDish had apps? My 404 did not...

I had a PocketDish and I much rather the iPad experience we have now. The issue with the PocketDISH was that the platform was not well designed or supported. The amount of apps and things it could do was limited.

It was a cool concept for sure. I remember transferring some movies onto the 7" display PocketDish and watching them on the flight to Vegas for CES. Worked great for watching a movie but other than that it didn't do much for me and was expensive.

I don't see why Dish would mess with a Hopper tablet with the amount of tablets out there now. All they need is are great apps for the numerous tablets that are already available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)