Status
Please reply by conversation.

vpaniyan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
US
Hi Guys.

I’m new to FTA and need advice on number of LNB and dish.
If I want to connect to more than one satellite (not at the same time), do I need “one dish and more than one LNB” or “one motorized dish with one LNB”?

Thanks,
vpaniyan

Everybody has different preferences and abilities to have dishes up. So there is a lot of different combinations you can put together. Motors give you access to all satellites in your line of sight. Multiple LNBs give you fast switching between sats and you can use multiple receivers. I'm sure all the FTA hobbiests here have an ever changeing setup as we experiment with different configurations. Here is a configuration of satellite distribution in my house.

Attachments

• SatTVdiagramcurrent.jpg
    SatTVdiagramcurrent.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 259
Some folks manage 2 to 4 LNBs on some of their dishes (depends on which satellites, what dish, etc).
But then you'd have to have multiple dishes.
That's not such a bad idea, especially if you have a good source for dishes, or have spent a lot of time in FTA and decided which satellites are must-haves.
But for a beginner, a single dish/LNBf/motor makes more sense, IMO.

Since this was your first post, I'll assume you are just getting your feet wet in FTA.
I'd recommend you get a decent sized dish (36"), an LNBf, and put it on a fixed pole in the back yard.
The dish should be mounted about chest height.
Get experience with your receiver, aiming at satellites, and watching what you find.
If you're still hot for FTA, then get a motor.

This forum will be a great place for you to learn all the fundamentals, and decide what configuration is best for you

Guys, thank you very much for quick response - I have answer for my question.
For beginning, I'd like to watch Russian and Armenian TV programs - not sure if I have to provide these details.
I have chosen the "Sonicview SV-HD 8000 PVR Version 2" receiver.
Can you please recommend a dish and LNBf.
By the way, I was under impression that dishes are motorized or not.
Based on your answer, does it mean that I can buy a dish and later add a motor?

Thanks,
vpaniyan

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Most KU dishes are designed for a fixed moount. You can add a motor to just about any of them. You will need a Standard FSS Linear LNB for most FTA sats visible in the US

Based on reviews for the following receivers: "Sonicview SV-HD 8000 PVR Version 2, Pansat 9200HD PVR, Coolsat 8100HD PVR, Viewsat Max HD PVR, and Openbox9 HD" users aren't happy with this systems.
Can you recommend a HD receiver or point to an article that can help to make a choice.

I really can't make recommendations on STBs (set top box). I use an HTPC with DVB receivers mostly. I know by reading in this forum the Azbox is very popular

I believe the "problems" with the SSO (Sathawk, Solomend or Openbox) have been resolved with the current firmware. I've "retired" my Pansat 9200 and now have an Openbox. No problems with it. It's only flaw, that I experience, is a slight green tint when using the composite video in 480i resolution. Doesn't do 4.2.2 like the Az, or OTA terrestrial like the Pansats.

For a dish & LNBf, gold sponsor* SatelliteAV has some holiday discounts right now.
Also, see the link to eBay in his signature, for other offers.

Another gold sponsor*, WSI/Galaxy, has package deals right now, too.

Former sponsor, Sadoun lists a variety of dishes, motors, LNBs and other products.

As long as you are looking at a 36" or larger dish, you probably can't go wrong with any of the above.
(see our review department, too)
However, just to make sure, before you purchase, run your shopping list by us, for comments. - :up

* the gold sponsors support our forum, but we're no shills for them.
When they have an equal or better product, I recommend 'em.
I've had personal discussions with all three above, and have the highest regard for them.

Is a DiSEqC switch mandatory for one motorized dish and receiver, or I can connect them (dish and receiver) with the the coax cable with no switch?

No switch needed if you just have a single LNB.
connect: LNB----->motor------>receiver
When you want to select from LNBs on other dishes, then you might want a switch.

We have a nice Switches Simplified document in our FAQ department, when you are ready.
(and of course, we will offer more help if it's not self-explanatory) - ;)

Which coax cable I need to chose between RG6 (marked digital for satellite) and RG6 Quad?

Does the longer cable makes significant difference in quality of the signal?
Will I see a difference in a signal quality between 50' and 75' coax cables?

RG6 is what you want. Quad shielded is not necessary for 100' run.
Also, the quad is a slightly different dimension, so you need specific connectors to fit it.
Always use the "compression" connectors, not the crimp-on type.

You should have no troubles with 50, 75, or 100 feet of coax.

Which coax cable I need to chose between RG6 (marked digital for satellite) and RG6 Quad?

Does the longer cable makes significant difference in quality of the signal?
Will I see a difference in a signal quality between 50' and 75' coax cables?

The QUAD shield cable is usually only required if you are routing the cable near other electronics and power cables that might induce interference. The extra shielding provides better immunity to electromagnetic interference. There isn't normally any other advantage and the QUAD shielded cable costs more. You don't need to use this unless you get a super fantastic deal on the cable by some quirk. QUAD shield cable won't typically assist with cable length issues unless you consider other design parameters involved, but these parameters have nothing to do with whether it is QUAD shielded or not.

If there is a cable length issue, you either use better RG6 cable or jump up to RG11 cable or start applying signal conditioners or line amplifiers.

You will not have any troubles if you are 100 feet or less, you can probably go much further than that, possibly up to 200-225 feet with a good quality RG6 cable.

There is a difference between signal QUALITY and signal LEVEL, but they are inter-related. You won't see a diminishment in signal QUALITY due to the length of your cable unless you lose your signal LEVEL. Losing your signal LEVEL does not mean that it has to be totally absent. It just has to be so low that the tuner won't recognize it any longer.

As you increase your cable length, your signal LEVEL is going to decrease in an analoguous slope. Once the signal LEVEL becomes so low that the receiver can no longer use it, then the signal quality will drop off abruptly from a good reading to nothing at all.

Before you get to the point where you lose your signal QUALITY, you will notice other problems first. You will have trouble switching the internal switch of the LNBF from vertical to horizontal polarity. If you have an external DiSEqC switch to select between several LNBFs, it may hesitate or fail to switch between them and if you are using a motor, it may drive slowly or fail to drive to a new position entirely.

This explanation is very brief. There is a lot more involved than just this, but it should answer your most immediate question.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)