openbox s9 question- weird color when first turned on is this normal ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
Ok, I just bought an openbox s9. I am using the composite out right now. When I turn on the openbox s9, the color starts out dark and then gets brighter, also the colors are wshed out at first and then go to normal.

It's like the "tubes" are warming up on an old tv. Anyone else experience this?

I haven't tried what you are doing, but the Openbox has an outstanding issue that the composite output is frequently "green tinged". A lot of complaint on this, so what you see may be related to that issue. I don't use the composite out on a large TV, and I haven't noticed a problem, but it's likely not just your problem, Jullius.
:)

Jullius, I am seeing EXACTLY what you describe with my new Openbox, and I am also using the composite outs. I assume (and hope!) that it is normal for this box.

Wow, I always thought that the funky display til it warmed up was the fault of my cheap old monitor that I use for aiming dishes! (Not the green tint, which lots of people are reporting, but the brightness/contrast problem.)

For normal use I use component, I've never seen any issues with that but then again my display is an LCD so it doesn't have warm-up issues.

It might ! :) I know that a component video-composite video converter works just fine, but it's a little more than a single cable.

Any picture of what it would look like? I just ordered a Openbox S9 and was thinking of buying the other cable to try if things don't work. I do have an old TERK MOD-34 - RF modulator that I used to use with a Fortec reciver, worth a try?

Looks like the same one you have with free shipping? But I think I'll wait and see how it goes when the S9 gets here. Looking at reviews about just a cable sounds like I would be wasting $6.
Amazon.com: Linkstyle Lk-21946+LK-9134 Component Video & Audio to Hdtv Converter Adaptor (Input Interface: Ypbpr/rgb + R-audio-l, Output Interface: Hdmi)+ 6 Feet HDMI Cable + Cable Tie: Electronics

Scart adapters can work well, but be aware that Scart outputs come in many varieties. Often the Scart output can be changed in the receiver menu between composite, component RGB / YUV / Ypbpr, but sometimes the output is fixed in a specific format. Make sure that you know that your receiver outputs in the required format before purchasing the adapter.

I'm putting the composite video into a freq agile modulator to feed the whole house. The slow to come up video and the green tint are one of the S9's well documented faults, and one gripe I have with it. I think there's a cap that could be swapped out, in the composite video chain, for a smaller value, or a smaller value paralleled with it, to improve the video coming up. I wonder if the composite has a green tint in PAL regions? Maybe, if I get a second unit, I'll start 'sperimentin'. (I'd like to get a hold of a schematic)

I'm putting the composite video into a freq agile modulator to feed the whole house. The slow to come up video and the green tint are one of the S9's well documented faults, and one gripe I have with it. I think there's a cap that could be swapped out, in the composite video chain, for a smaller value, or a smaller value paralleled with it, to improve the video coming up. I wonder if the composite has a green tint in PAL regions? Maybe, if I get a second unit, I'll start 'sperimentin'. (I'd like to get a hold of a schematic)

I think I've read that the composite output does NOT have a green tint in PAL mode.

BUT, it didn't even have a green tint in NTSC mode til a certain firmware version! (Unfortunately, I think it was the one that provided AC3 decoding and the ability to use a motor and switch at the same time.) Why, therefore, they can't figure out how they broke it, is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

I've recently read (speculation) somewhere that the pgmrs may just "give up" on the green tint, and may go so far as to disable composite video in upcoming updates. That wouldn't work for me.

I think I've read that the composite output does NOT have a green tint in PAL mode.

BUT, it didn't even have a green tint in NTSC mode til a certain firmware version! (Unfortunately, I think it was the one that provided AC3 decoding and the ability to use a motor and switch at the same time.) Why, therefore, they can't figure out how they broke it, is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Actually I found no green in most any mode but 480i. While watching the 1080i HDMI output, the OpenBox can simultaneously output a SD picture from the composite outputs with NO GREEN. Problem is they have a nag screen (big blue square) telling you are in the wrong mode. Get rid of the nag screen and all would be ok.

Actually I found no green in most any mode but 480i. While watching the 1080i HDMI output, the OpenBox can simultaneously output a SD picture from the composite outputs with NO GREEN. Problem is they have a nag screen (big blue square) telling you are in the wrong mode. Get rid of the nag screen and all would be ok.

You've got that RIGHT !! I've written to the factory to try to get that damn "nag screen " removed.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.