1.0 Meter Primestar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Vacationland, USA
Well, a buddy of mine moved my Dad's old Primestar dish over to my place this afternoon and stuck it on my old Primestar pole.. So, it's here now.. Just gotta get it hooked up..

I did a search the other day on here and found this link from a thread last winter.. It has some of the different models of Primestar dishes.. http://www.winnfreenet.com/primestar.html The fourth one down is the dish I have, minus the leaves and crud..

I wondered if someone with experience setting up this 1 meter Primestar could give me step by step directions to set this old Primestar up again.. Yeah, I've read most of the Primestar threads.. But, the problem is - I can't see the dish and I won't be hands on myself.. If I can get some step by step directions I may be able to get my friend to give a try or a friend of his that did DirecTV / Dish Network..

Also, does anyone have a stripped down LNBF they're willing to part with that fits this holder.. If this holder requires the same size as the smaller Primestar dishes.. I'm not sure if I wanna mess around with the original LNBF...

Thanks, BK

stationary or motorized? i have a motorized version.... and its heavy, made a mount for it to fit the motor shaft... actually i needed to do more for it so i will be rebuilding the bracket and using the oval primestar in its place.

stationary mount is very easy.

i just removed the lnb and mounted a 40mm one back in its place simple as that

I have a 1M Channel Master (not a retired Primestar, but the same dish).

As Gabshere stated, it is very heavy, especially if you factor in the 2 3/8" mount. Mine is stationary on G-10R, and it works very well. Originally, I used a Fortec FSKUv LNBF on it (the dish had no LNB or feedhorn when I purchased it). Later, I found a feedhorn for it on EBay, which included a Norsat high-stability LNB. The combination of the correct feedhorn and a high-stability LNB gives me the same performance as my Invacom Quad.

Yeah, I forgot a few details last night.. I wanna have everything here I may need and be already for any situation that might occur.. I don't wanna be caught short - if ya know what I mean.. And I might only have one shot at this before the snow gets too deep..

It's going to be non motorized and hopefully set on G10.. If a friend tries this he'll need to know what to set first, second, third, fourth ect.. Different things to look for..

My zip is 04479 if that helps with explaining directions.. Also, I'm ordering a Traxis 3500..

So, the LNBF holder is 40mm and doesn't need to have the cover stripped off.. Any 40mm LNBF will work.. Is this correct..

Thanks again, BK

Well, a buddy of mine moved my Dad's old Primestar dish over to my place this afternoon and stuck it on my old Primestar pole.. So, it's here now.. Just gotta get it hooked up..

ok if the pole was checked and made sure it was all plumb. and i take it all the mounting and everything fit. then everything should be a go. just add a lnb . wire it to the receiver and find the angles to the satellites.

So, the LNBF holder is 40mm and doesn't need to have the cover stripped off.. Any 40mm LNBF will work.. Is this correct..

this is correct. NOTE :due to the age of the lnb holder spray the bolts lightly with a oil and let it sit for a day before removing. it doesn't take much to break or remove the threading from the plastic.

the mount is easy to work with and the elevation is adjusted (after loosing the side bolts) by the top bolt.

ok if the pole was checked and made sure it was all plumb. and i take it all the mounting and everything fit. then everything should be a go. just add a lnb . wire it to the receiver and find the angles to the satellites.

this is correct. NOTE :due to the age of the lnb holder spray the bolts lightly with a oil and let it sit for a day before removing. it doesn't take much to break or remove the threading from the plastic.

the mount is easy to work with and the elevation is adjusted (after loosing the side bolts) by the top bolt.

Okay, thanks..

Great tip.. It's threaded into plastic.. If the threads strip can it be drilled out and put a longer bolt in with a nut.. Are you screwed if the plastic breaks..

I was thinking about trying an Xtreme II LNBF.. Any opinions on a LNBF to use..

i would suspect anything is possible , i'm going to reglue the threads back in

i don't have that lnb , would like to try it against my QPH031 & BSC321S
there is a review over in the equipment section and it sounds good.

when you order your receiver ask , he will know...i think he has all three

Last edited:
i have one of these type dish, a channel master 1m,,got it for around 20$,, no arms though,, but Dow Electronics still has sets ( for 15$), but my point being,,with regards to the LNBf holder/clamp,, most call it a junction clamp/mount...they have them for 6$, i previously found one for 10$ from another seller and thought that was a good deal, now the reason i am writing is that Dow has the Bushings that go inside the holder if you want to use other neck sized LNBf or feedhorn...hopefully a helpful tid bit of info..
OH,, they have all required bolt sets for 3$, and if you ever think about polar mounting and adding a actuator,, buy that mount now..

i have one of these type dish, a channel master 1m,,got it for around 20$,, no arms though,, but Dow Electronics still has sets ( for 15$), but my point being,,with regards to the LNBf holder/clamp,, most call it a junction clamp/mount...they have them for 6$, i previously found one for 10$ from another seller and thought that was a good deal, now the reason i am writing is that Dow has the Bushings that go inside the holder if you want to use other neck sized LNBf or feedhorn...hopefully a helpful tid bit of info..
OH,, they have all required bolt sets for 3$, and if you ever think about polar mounting and adding a actuator,, buy that mount now..

Thanks, I'll check that out this afternoon..

i would suspect anything is possible , i'm going to reglue the threads back in

i don't have that lnb , would like to try it against my QPH031 & BSC321S
there is a review over in the equipment section and it sounds good.

when you order your receiver ask , he will know...i think he has all three

How do you like that BSC321S.. I see they can be had fairly inexpensive..

I did a search the other day on here and found this link from a thread last winter.. It has some of the different models of Primestar dishes.. http://www.winnfreenet.com/primestar.html The fourth one down is the dish I have, minus the leaves and crud..

I wondered if someone with experience setting up this 1 meter Primestar could give me step by step directions to set this old Primestar up again.. Yeah, I've read most of the Primestar threads.. But, the problem is - I can't see the dish and I won't be hands on myself.. If I can get some step by step directions I may be able to get my friend to give a try or a friend of his that did DirecTV / Dish Network..

Also, does anyone have a stripped down LNBF they're willing to part with that fits this holder.. If this holder requires the same size as the smaller Primestar dishes.. I'm not sure if I wanna mess around with the original LNBF...

Thanks, BK

Hey Bk!
I have a 1 meter Primestar dish mounted on a Moteck SG2100 HH motor drive and using a Invacom .3 universal LNBF that fit the front of the dish like a charm.
I have been really satisfied with the setup. It took some doing as far as getting the mount made for the dish itself and adapting it to the SG2100 motor drive.
I used the method "DirtyShame" rigged up and he had pictures of his setup that would help you get the idea how to do it.
With his setup, you will eliminate alot of unnessary weight that would mess up the SG2100. In just a weekend and patience, it can be done.
To find the threads that would help you, go to SEARCH and type in "PRIMESTAR" and "SG2100", and you would see the threads that has all the info you need!
You need to go to something like "Primestar on the SG2100" (if my memory is right). There are other ideas from other Fta guys on mounting that dish on the SG2100. I like the one DirtyShame or "Old John" as he also go by.
PSB and Iceberg and other guys were a great help to me as well.
Good Luck!!!
MrFTAMan
Oh, By the way, After getting the dish mounted like you wanted to, you got to set the angles of the dish (depending on your location) and it would be a great idea that you have a 13 inch color TV, your receiver and remote, long extension cord, a power strip, short video cable from receiver to TV, 8 to 10 foot RG6 cable to hook from receiver to the SG2100, and a small table to set the receiver and TV on. PLUS, my friend,
alot of patience and many hours of free time! It took several weekends for me to get what I wanted. All of this will be worth it! There are guys on these threads willing to guide you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you want to try the original Primestar LNB. The Primestar I have uses it's original LNB and I consider the combination my best dish. All you have to do is rotate the LNB on the Primestar to the correct setting. On G10 everything good is on the same polarity.

Hey Bk!
I have a 1 meter Primestar dish mounted on a Moteck SG2100 HH motor drive and using a Invacom .3 universal LNBF that fit the front of the dish like a charm.
I have been really satisfied with the setup. It took some doing as far as getting the mount made for the dish itself and adapting it to the SG2100 motor drive.
I used the method "DirtyShame" rigged up and he had pictures of his setup that would help you get the idea how to do it.
With his setup, you will eliminate alot of unnessary weight that would mess up the SG2100. In just a weekend and patience, it can be done.
To find the threads that would help you, go to SEARCH and type in "PRIMESTAR" and "SG2100", and you would see the threads that has all the info you need!
You need to go to something like "Primestar on the SG2100" (if my memory is right). There are other ideas from other Fta guys on mounting that dish on the SG2100. I like the one DirtyShame or "Old John" as he also go by.
PSB and Iceberg and other guys were a great help to me as well.
Good Luck!!!
MrFTAMan
Oh, By the way, After getting the dish mounted like you wanted to, you got to set the angles of the dish (depending on your location) and it would be a great idea that you have a 13 inch color TV, your receiver and remote, long extension cord, a power strip, short video cable from receiver to TV, 8 to 10 foot RG6 cable to hook from receiver to the SG2100, and a small table to set the receiver and TV on. PLUS, my friend,
alot of patience and many hours of free time! It took several weekends for me to get what I wanted. All of this will be worth it! There are guys on these threads willing to guide you.

Sounds like a great setup..

I'm not planning on a motor any time in the near future.. I'll be lucky to get it pointed at G10 for this winter.. Thanks for the info..

Why don't you want to try the original Primestar LNB. The Primestar I have uses it's original LNB and I consider the combination my best dish. All you have to do is rotate the LNB on the Primestar to the correct setting. On G10 everything good is on the same polarity.

I may try the original LNBF but, incase it's not working I want to have an extra LNBF on hand..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts