1/14/2010 5:29pm - Uplink Activity Report - 13 changes

I'm now taking bets on whether there are any Voom posts in the year 2020 on satelliteguys.com (and I'm taking the side that there will be). ;)

In fact I can imagine some of you talking to your grandchildren when you are 85 years old:

and the inevitable reply will be:

I won't be 85 until 2063

This just doesn't make sense. You would think they would put test channels on 72.7 where they had room to play. They just fired up 5 full 8PSK transponders there to toy around with. I wouldn't look too much into this guys.

This just doesn't make sense. You would think they would put test channels on 72.7 where they had room to play. They just fired up 5 full 8PSK transponders there to toy around with. I wouldn't look too much into this guys.

They probably just want to find out if they can compress the existing channels any more without having them look like total crap.

I count 9 transponders. Are you subtracting those already on, or am I completely out to lunch?

I speculate that they are stressing the power on E3 (and E12?) to see what's still usable on these aging birds. They just lost TP18 as I recall.

What other 4?

Nimiq5 72.7W TP 06 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 16 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 22 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 28 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 32 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added

Adding more channels to a transponder does not stress the power. The carrier is still being transmitted whether it is full of channels of just all null packets.

What other 4?

Nimiq5 72.7W TP 06 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 16 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 22 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 28 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added
Nimiq5 72.7W TP 32 ConUS beam 21500 8PSK 2/3 added

Adding more channels to a transponder does not stress the power. The carrier is still being transmitted whether it is full of channels of just all null packets.

Excellent point. The channels added to 61.5 in this uplink report do not stress power. 9 transponders may have been involved, but the uplink says "channel ads" not "transponder adds." My problem is I can't understand plain English. I think I'll delete my previous post which was pretty much devoid of merit. :(

Now if anybody else got confused by Digi's comments about 72.7 transponders, here's what happened. He was discussing the transponder adds that happened in the 12:19AM report, not the channel adds in the 5:29PM report (this thread). ;)

Excellent point. The channels added to 61.5 in this uplink report do not stress power. 9 transponders may have been involved, but the uplink says "channel ads" not "transponder adds." My problem is I can't understand plain English. I think I'll delete my previous post which was pretty much devoid of merit. :(

Now if anybody else got confused by Digi's comments about 72.7 transponders, here's what happened. He was discussing the transponder adds that happened in the 12:19AM report, not the channel adds in the 5:29PM report (this thread). ;)

No prob... I get confused myself keeping things straight sometimes.

Just an FYI, the uplink report notes the number of changes in the report. I consider a change as each line of the uplink report. Which would be a transponder change, channel change, etc. Now sometimes there will be multiple changes on one line but that is still counted as one line. For instance a channel number could change from 5000 - TMP2 (MPEG2 SD) (NA), to 5000 - ABCHD (MPEG4 HD) (A), technically that is more than one change, but since I have it condensed on one line it is only counted as one change. At least that's what the code is designed to do...as I really haven't seen a change like that happen all at once ;)