1 dish, 2 cabins, possible?

bjones1740

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I'm thinking of putting Dish at my cabins this summer. We have 2 next to each other. Can I get installed 1 dish to share at both cabins. Both have there own receivers. One Account? Both share the same mailing address but 2 physical addresses. Can this be done? :confused:

Gray area here. If the two buildings are taken together as a single family dwelling unit, there is probably no problem. If they are seen as rental property or separate dwellings, then you have a possible problem. Are there other cabins next to these or is this a family compound? Are the two cabins joined in any way structurally like with a common porch or deck? You could always have the install done for one cabin with both receivers located there and then run a cable from the sat LNB to the other cabin. Or do the install yourself and avoid questions.

Gray area here. If the two buildings are taken together as a single family dwelling unit, there is probably no problem. If they are seen as rental property or separate dwellings, then you have a possible problem. Are there other cabins next to these or is this a family compound? Are the two cabins joined in any way structurally like with a common porch or deck? You could always have the install done for one cabin with both receivers located there and then run a cable from the sat LNB to the other cabin. Or do the install yourself and avoid questions.

Used to be a resort, now all privately owned. Both are 6 ft apart but nothing in common. One is 425 the other 425A. Good idea on the 2 receiver install though.
:eureka

sounds fine to me. One dish and just run a cable across from one cabin to the other

At ourt lake house we strung a cable from the dish across to the flagpole (probably 15 feet or so) so we could get satellite in the garage

I'm thinking of putting Dish at my cabins this summer. We have 2 next to each other. Can I get installed 1 dish to share at both cabins. Both have there own receivers. One Account? Both share the same mailing address but 2 physical addresses. Can this be done? :confused:
As long as the buildings are not very far from each other, you're fine., Don't worry about the "Account stacking" nannies.
The cabins are on the same lot but have different addy's for mail purposes? So what. The USPS does't get to decide whether or not you can do to your property what you wish.
Dish would no doubt consider this to be account stacking because they want to squeeze every dime they can out of your pocket.
Just install the thing and don't worry about it.

As long as the buildings are not very far from each other, you're fine., Don't worry about the "Account stacking" nannies.
The cabins are on the same lot but have different addy's for mail purposes? So what. The USPS does't get to decide whether or not you can do to your property what you wish.
Dish would no doubt consider this to be account stacking because they want to squeeze every dime they can out of your pocket.
Just install the thing and don't worry about it.

I think the issue is that he doesn't want to do the install himself and probably wants to go through E* to have it done.

the dish is just an antenna, nothing more really. they have entire apartment buildings using just one dish

my only concern is if the electrical ground fails on one home, then the satellite cabling will provide the path to the other cabin's ground instead.

the dish is just an antenna, nothing more really. they have entire apartment buildings using just one dish

my only concern is if the electrical ground fails on one home, then the satellite cabling will provide the path to the other cabin's ground instead.
Ok valid question. BUt how does a ground "fail"?
If that ultra remote possibility is a concern, he can ground the system to both cabins.

Ok valid question. BUt how does a ground "fail"?
If that ultra remote possibility is a concern, he can ground the system to both cabins.

any number of ways... ground wire for house electrical system gets corroded...someone disconnect it, loose hold down screw works loose over time...changes in soil...

then again doesn't have to be a failure either, just can be one has a better ground so much so that the path to ground is lower resistance over sat cabling to other house ground

anytime you connect electrical components between two homes you should bond their grounds together so both at same potential

I would just buy another dish, since they are less than $50 in most cases and put one on each building, so you don't have to worry about cables. Course, you can buy direct burial cable to use too, so that might be better. I take a receiver with me to our lake house 2 hours away and have another dish I put up there to use with it and never have any problems. I figure its my house, and my account, so why not make it portable? :up

any number of ways... ground wire for house electrical system gets corroded...someone disconnect it, loose hold down screw works loose over time...changes in soil...

then again doesn't have to be a failure either, just can be one has a better ground so much so that the path to ground is lower resistance over sat cabling to other house ground

anytime you connect electrical components between two homes you should bond their grounds together so both at same potential
Valid points. But if we as techs worried about every little thing that could possibly go wrong, we'd never get anything done
Put it this way, if the ground is good when I leave the job, it is no longer my responsibility. IF the homeowner accidentally severs the ground and does not know it, is it my fault? If the ground rod below soil level corrodes, I have to worry about that?
I don't think so.

If I was the tech who rolled to that install, once I was convinced that you owned both cabins and you were legit, I'd have no problem running cables to each cabin, especially since they are 6 ft. apart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)