1 of 2 ViP722 units w/low 119 sig

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have two ViP722 HD DVRs and a 508. Well, the 508 is about to go away as I call in to go EA from 110/119/61.5.

The upstairs ViP722 shows "no info available" for much of the EPG. A hard reset, which seemed to work a day or two ago, did no good for updating the EPG. Check switch revealed a signal level of 20 on 119. On the downstairs ViP722, 119 shows a signal level of 56. All connections inside are tight. Running the check switch did in fact repopulate the EPG. Checking the 119 signal level again shows it is still at 20.

Best guess as to the problem? Bad 34 switch (two ganged)? An internal problem on the upstairs ViP722? Something else?

Depending upon the cause of the problem, the change in dishes and switches may solve the problem. But if that might not be the fix, I'd like to know ahead of the tech visit so that everything can be addressed at once.

Your thoughts?

BTW, FWIW the 508 shows a 119 signal level of 66. Of course, it will not lock on 61.5.

switch the 2

I have two ViP722 HD DVRs and a 508. Well, the 508 is about to go away as I call in to go EA from 110/119/61.5.

The upstairs ViP722 shows "no info available" for much of the EPG. A hard reset, which seemed to work a day or two ago, did no good for updating the EPG. Check switch revealed a signal level of 20 on 119. On the downstairs ViP722, 119 shows a signal level of 56. All connections inside are tight. Running the check switch did in fact repopulate the EPG. Checking the 119 signal level again shows it is still at 20.

Best guess as to the problem? Bad 34 switch (two ganged)? An internal problem on the upstairs ViP722? Something else?

Depending upon the cause of the problem, the change in dishes and switches may solve the problem. But if that might not be the fix, I'd like to know ahead of the tech visit so that everything can be addressed at once.

Your thoughts?

Switch the 2 722's and see if it is the same SS afterward. Then it will tell U if it is the rec or before it that is the problem.

Thank you, that is a good idea. However, it will be difficult to do in practice, due to wiring and other concerns. Might have to do so anyway, perhaps while my son is asleep.

:eek: Well, I noticed that the upstairs ViP722 was testing on transponder 5, now down to signal level 14. Whoops. Moved to transponder 10 & 11, level went to 66 to 75.

Now that leaves the original question- why is the EPG "losing" it's information? I might call Dish for the EA changeover and discuss it with them. Tech support, of course.

I believe the EPG does not lose information, it merely fails to download new info and the info there expires, sounds like, switch, lnb or tuner (great deduction, eh).

1. Switch receivers and see if the problem follows or remains,
2. Switch cables at the switch and see if the problem follows or remains.
3. Switch lnb inputs into the switch...

navychop,
Can you try swapping the DP34s, probably putting the 508 as a singleton on the second one (more than one arrangement possible)--this will be close to your EA setup without the 508. Try physically swapping or just recabling if the cables are long enough. Leave the 508 out for the first tries with just one switch or the other.
-Ken

SOUNDS LIKE LOW SIGNALS.SHOULD BE UP AROUND 77 TO 80 PERCENT DEPENDING ON WHICH TRANSPONDERS.WITH THE LOW SIGNAL THE RECEIVER HAS A HARD TIME RETREIVING UPDATED INFORMATION,WILL ALSO AFFECT THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO LOCK ON TO PICTURE WHEN YOU CHANGE CHANNELS.STRONG SIGNAL HELPS DOWNLOADING FASTER

I believe the EPG does not lose information, it merely fails to download new info and the info there expires, sounds like, switch, lnb or tuner (great deduction, eh).

1. Switch receivers and see if the problem follows or remains,
2. Switch cables at the switch and see if the problem follows or remains.
3. Switch lnb inputs into the switch...

Actually, since only 2 days after having a full EPG, I've got "no info" doesn't that indicate that EPG data it had, it has now lost?

It'll be some weeks before I can climb on the roof to access switches/LNBs. If I switch receivers in the house, moving DVR'd items, favorites lists and such, and leave them in the new locations for a few days to see where the problem recurs, I will have a household revolt on my hands. !protest

Right now, I guess I'll wait it out. Since the cables aren't marked on the roof anymore, I guess the receiver swap is the best route if it happens again.

navychop,
Can you try swapping the DP34s, probably putting the 508 as a singleton on the second one (more than one arrangement possible)--this will be close to your EA setup without the 508. Try physically swapping or just recabling if the cables are long enough. Leave the 508 out for the first tries with just one switch or the other.
-Ken

Whenever I'm up to getting back up there, that's a possibility. Probably by then I'll have called for the EA setup anyway.

No point in my paying $7 a month for a 508 we really don't use anymore. I don't know what kind of deal might come down the road on that 508, but we really don't need to watch satellite TV in that location anymore.

I'm moving everything over to the EHD. More degradation. Could not watch satellite live programming last night, but could get EPG and DVR'd items. Noticed on check switch all three sats would lock but not retrieve name, with sigs in 60s & 70s. Then noticed that was on tuner 1. Shifted to tuner 2, and sat name popped up.

SO- internal tuner bad, or cabling bad, or '34 switch. Tonight I will switch the two sat cables and see if the trouble follows. Then call Dish Tech, discuss, and probably arrange for a replacement ViP722 & the EA changeover. I wonder if they'll try to reuse those 34s? I'll need to count my drops. I am not currently using separators, I've run 2 cables to each ViP and IIRC just one to the 508. Have to look around and see, I believe I've run more cables for future use.

I'll report back.

Still acting strangely, just in different ways. Can't get EPG to repopulate no matter what. And the satellite names are displayed just fine on both tuners. Curiouser and curiouser. Called Dish, on 4/8 I move to EA and they'll troubleshoot/replace my upstairs ViP722. Before then, I'll swap out the boxes and see if the trouble travels. If so, they said they'd ship out a replacement immediately.

Thankfully, all my DVR'd stuff is on EHD now. And I've written down the timers, to move to the other ViP722.

Just thought I'd report that since the 1000.4 dish was installed, and therefore the DP34 switches removed, I've had no troubles. Let's hope for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts