1 Room install Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Couple of things here.

1. I have a single room install for a year (dish 500) origanally a 301 now a 510. I bought a 811 from sears and would like to add it with the 510. Only 1 cable is ran from the dish. I plan on mounting a antenna. and using some sort of a diplexor (any recomendations for diplexor) Should there be another output on my LNB for a second cable run? Also Dish is coming out to add my free second Dish for my Tulsa locals (148). Should I ask the installer to do it or whats a good price for having him do it under the table?

2. I bought My 811 @ Sears. Its made by JVC. They retail it for $399.99. I just had them price match it against Dish and the local retailers. After a couple of managers making calls the matched it kindly plus gave me 10% of the difference. so I made out for $179.99.

I would appreciate any feedback. Sorry its so long LOL! :)

Hate to say this, but if you call dish you might be able to get the box for $149, and they'll install it (of course you'll be required to get the HD pack and a 1 year commitment).

They may not mess with your over the air stuff. The installers are generally on a pretty tight schedule.

Your 2nd dish is going to require a switch be added - your LNB might get swapped out. Worst case scenario, with only 1 box, they'll give you an old SW21 - this is difficult to use with a 2nd box (if your current LNB is Legacy). If your DishPro you'll likely end up with a switch 34 that can handle 4 boxes.

I've done ok with a diplexor from radio shack - I've had cheaper ones not work at all. Gotta be careful, it must go after any echostar switches. You're really better off running another line if it's possible.

chastulsa said:
2. I bought My 811 @ Sears. Its made by JVC. They retail it for $399.99. I just had them price match it against Dish and the local retailers. After a couple of managers making calls the matched it kindly plus gave me 10% of the difference. so I made out for $179.99.

Wow, what a steal. You really sc*wed Sears over. That receiver cost them about a couple hundred more than what you gave for it. The $199 deal is only for folks who call DISH directly and wait for an eternity, or through a retailer - ONLY if the customer is the retailer's original customer. Otherwise DISH doesn't reimburse the retailer for the difference. A retailer's wholesale cost is just under $400 on the 811. Maybe I should go check out how many Sears has and load up! ;)

As far as the Diplexer goes, just make sure that the frequency on the SAT side goes up to at least 2.25GHz. Any less than that, and you could see problems. Also, the diplexer may not work if you use an amplifier for the off air antenna.

David_Levin said:
Hate to say this, but if you call dish you might be able to get the box for $149, and they'll install it (of course you'll be required to get the HD pack and a 1 year commitment).

Well, I called dish and I dont qualify for the $149.99 deal. I could get it for $199 but I had to do a 12 mo comm and cc autopay.

Well, it doesn't hurt to try. Also, even at $199, they do the install. If you need it, a switch upgrade is included. Still not a bad deal. But, as Mr. Mainstreet pointed out, the 811 might be back ordered. I don't know how fast dish could get it to you.

Either way, I'd keep the box from Sears - you could probably resell it for more then you paid.