1 room to jacks??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aerojoe

Original poster
May 26, 2008
Hey guys I am new here and looking for some help. I hope what I am trying to do is possible. I am going to wire my parents cottage for Direct tv. I have an extra 4 connection switch that was left over from our house when we got tivo they sent a 5 connection switch. What I want to do is put 2 wall jacks in each room at the cottage so when furniture is switch around you don't have to run a cable across the room. There will only ever be 1 tv hooked up at a time. Is this possible to do?? Thanks for the help.

There would be 4 tv's one in each room. I am going to put jacks in the wall and just want to be able to change the furniture and not have to run wires across the room.

I think you will need a larger switch (maybe a Zinwell WB8x16??) to accomplish this task. With four rooms, two outlets each, plus the fact that you will need two cables run to each outlet if you currently have or ever plan to have/use a DVR to manage the dual tuner functionality. What you want to do is possible, but I don't think it will work using what you have on-hand.

Since you won't need all jacks in the room to be active, I'd run all lines to a central location where you'd put the multiswitch. If you ever plan to have a DVR, then you need to run two lines to each jack location. When you change the TV location, just connect the appropriate lines to the multiswitch. You could make it a bit simpler by using the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM). Then you'd only need one line to each jack location.

I don't know if I'd call it in beta anymore. The SWM8 module is being used all over the country for MDU installs. The SWMSlimline has been released for a number of installation areas, it's more of a limited release since regular end users are getting it installed as part of their installation.

Sorry, beta was not the right term. I meant to say something along the lines of what you said: limited release for "non-commercial" applications...not enough coffee in the system yet :p

There will never be a dvr hooked up. My parents are in their 50's and have a hard enough time using a computer let alone a DVR.

I was thinking of the manually switching the wires when you change the furniture since it would be easy enough to use the attic stairs and switch the cables. I was just hoping there was some kind of splitter to not have to go up there. Thanks

With the proper multiswitch or the upcoming SWM, you could have all lines in the room be live, eliminating the need to do anything except moving the TV and receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.