1 vs 2 Hoppers

K.Stores

Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Texas
I'm upgrading to the Hopper system next week. The rep I spoke with put my order in for 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. We currently have 2 DVRs and one reason we wanted to upgrade is so we can access the DVR recordings from all tvs versus having 2 DVRs and only accessing that content on certains tvs. The rep told me 2 hoppers is better. As long as we can utilize primetime anytime we shouldn't have a problem with recording conflicts. What is the disadvantage of only having 1 Hopper? Any tv can access DVR correct? So all 4 tvs can watch different programming as long as they are using DVR? I understand the 4th tv can only watch live programming that another tv is watching, is this correct? We rarely watch live tv and definitely not on all 4 tvs.
Is it possible to access recordings on 1 hopper on another hopper? I read in another thread about something and it seemed like people were saying they watched a show recorded on one hopper on another. I didn't think this was possible.

Last edited:
Based on your described viewing habits, the only advantage to two Hoppers would be a back-up if one would fail. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend the additional upfront money, as two will not cost you any more in monthly fees.

With 2 Hoppers you can see all recordings on both. You gain tremendous flexibility to watch live TV on any of those sets while recording 3 or more shows. Unless the up front cost is burdensome, it would be foolish not to get 2.

I agree with Pat Murphey. We are a family of 3. One would think 1 hopper would be sufficient for our needs, but I cannot count the number of times I have run up against recording conflicts on Hopper 1 and had to go to Hopper 2 to record the show. Once the show is recorded (or has begun recording) it can be watched from any hopper or joey. What you cannot do is control one hopper from the other. IOW, if on Sunday night I want to record the PTAT block, Mad Men, Game of Thrones and Basketball, I have to walk over to the TV connected to Hopper 2 and set it to record one of the above.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea all DVR content could be watched from all tvs. The rep I spoke with at Dish told me this wasn't possible. So good to know, I will definitely be getting 2 hoppers. I was told I wouldn't have to pay anything up front, is this unusual? I want to make sure the rep knew what she was talking about.

I was told I wouldn't have to pay anything up front, is this unusual? I want to make sure the rep knew what she was talking about.

You can doublecheck what you signed up for with the online Dish reps that are active on the forum. They are better than the normal customer support.

On the bottom of the main forum page in the section marked "Online Support Staff," you'll see the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)