10 Days Away from KungFU HD - And Counting

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Well the other thread broke the news, I figured there are a lot of KungFU heads in here, I guess start one up just to talk about what movies you'd want to see.

Old School:

Fist of the White Lotus
Shaolin Master Killer
Shogun Assassin (Strong - Uncut version)

Drunken Master
Legend of the Drunken Master(newer but follows the same line)

Enter The Dragon

Also with the new channels being only 10 days away... I'm surprised Voom's not doing some major "advertising" on their exclusives!! (Although I did see this promo on Kill Bill Volume 1 that was kind of cool). :shocked

I think any kind of martial arts movies should be soon on this channel. I am looking forward to this channel too.

I bought the original Drunken Master from Hong Kong Flix, it's dubbed in English and is much better than the watered down Disney release we saw here.

Wonder if they can do original language track with english subtitles on some of those old kung fu movies, A) It would be 10x better if they could, B) talk about niche!

Somehow I doubt it since the only versions I have seen of these movies until recently have been fullscreen P&S english dubbed version. Lately I saw Shaolin Master killer in Widescreen but still english dubbed.

DarrellP said:
I bought the original Drunken Master from Hong Kong Flix, it's dubbed in English and is much better than the watered down Disney release we saw here.

You mean the redone Legend of the Drunken Master the newer Jackie Chan release? Actually I had never seen the original until the newer version turned me on to it. The original was grittier, but the action in the newer one is great. Jackie Chan is the man, actually any old school CHan movie gets my vote. Even Jet Li Hong Kong movies are so much better than the garbage that Hollywood has put him through.

If they can make this channel "Hong Kong Cinema in HD" holy crap, that can so market this and make $$$$ off of it I think.

The release I have is the Asian release which was not watered down like the Drunken Master that Disney gave us "Whities". It's great seeing it in it's original language.

Sean do you know if Voom's going to advertise this at all or just pow! the lineup changes and that's it?

Hope they show a variety of kung-fu movies not just all the old school ones. How about some new stuff. I know the newer stuff is more like action/kung-fu and isn't pure kung-fu from start to finish like the old kung-fu movies.

Dvlos said:
Sean do you know if Voom's going to advertise this at all or just pow! the lineup changes and that's it?

Don't know but that sounds like a good idea. They should put a press-release just like they did with Divine-HD.

Bring the Kung-Fu series with David Carradine (sp?)

The problem with saying bring old Jackie Chan movies is I don't know if they're considered "kung-fu" movies. I mean, his best movie "Jackie Chan's Police Force (AKA: Police Story)" is not really a kung-fu movie it's action. But if they bring it I won't complain. (And part II and III - Supercop). If they bring Drunken Master I and II (hopefully both subbed but I doubt it) and Young Master, that would be a good start.

Anyway, I'm hoping for subbed releases, though dubbing is enjoyable in Kung-Fu movies from a comedic standpoint...

I'd like to see:
The Magnificent Butcher (and all of Samo Hung's movies, really)
The Prodigal Son

I'm hoping the HD-transfer will look good.

If you're going to have niche programming, then do the niche marketing.

When I had voom installed, the voom installer told me he'd recently "done" Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullocks, and Jamie Lee Curtis. I kinda thought hmm is this guy pulling my legs? They don't seem like the demographics for voom. But now I get it -- it must be because of UltraHD! If you're into fashion, UltraHD must be like crack cocaine! These Hollywood celebs not only can and will wear this stuff, they can afford it too. They probably all went out and bought plasmas and hooked voom up just so they can watch fashion shows all freaking day long.

If they can convert old TV series -- then they have got to add Monkey!

B00008N71W.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Review from Amazon...
Monkey! is a loose (very loose) Japanese TV adaptation of Wu Ch'eng-en's 16th-century collection of Chinese fables, which was re-dubbed into English in the early 1980s and became required viewing for a whole generation of schoolchildren. The titular monkey (played with great enthusiasm, not to mention athleticism by Japanese comic actor and former rock star Masaaki Sakai) accompanies boy-monk Tripitaka (confusingly, a pretty actress called Masako Natsume) on his/her quest for the Indian Sutras. They pick up Sandy (Shiro Kishibe), Pigsy (Toshiyuki Nishida) and a dragon that becomes a horse along the way.
The appeal of Monkey! is easier to experience than explain. It's an occasionally surreal blend of Oriental fable, knock-about martial arts, pop Buddhism and slapstick comedy. The frequent comic fight scenes are accompanied by a 70s disco-fusion soundtrack, and a narrator (English voice: Frank Duncan) uses gaps in the action to deliver inscrutable snippets of wisdom ("Even a starving camel is still bigger than a horse", "Does love mean labour even for the carp-hearted?"). Best of all, though, is the dialogue: without regard to any lip-synch niceties, the English script (by David Weir) is full of idiomatic delights, jokes and double entendres ("I can use it as well", boasts Monkey of his staff that grows from a tiny stick into a big pole. "Ooh, I never doubted it, passionate primate", purrs the Dragon Princess into his ear, "go on, make it bigger"). All are delivered by British actors in hilariously cod-Japanese accents (distinguished thesp Miriam Margolyes is the voice of Tripitaka). Bad special effects crown the show's cheesy, retro appeal. ----Mark Walker

http://www.monkeyheaven.com/

They should just make it an Asian Cinema, or even just Kung-Fu and action channel or something, and bring old John Woo movies. Hard Boiled, The Killer, A Better Tomorrow I and II, etc. That would be sweet.

Asian Cinema would be cool, but they could even throw Anime on the Fu channel (if it's action type related).

I particularly didn't like the Kung Fu series (especially after I learned that was Bruce Lee's role!) but the more the merrier!

I am in the minority I guess but I would rather see Voom cut some crap off their exclusives and up the freakin bandwith so the picture is consistent all the time. Get rid of the picture noise (especially on Equator HD) and get the dang guide to really tell me what is on.

Dvlos said:
Asian Cinema would be cool, but they could even throw Anime on the Fu channel (if it's action type related).

I particularly didn't like the Kung Fu series (especially after I learned that was Bruce Lee's role!) but the more the merrier!
That's what I stated in the main thread Sean created about the new channels. Anime would be very nice in HD, I saw Noir in HD on INHD1,2 when I had Comcast and it looked great.

Anyway, I guess I should be happy enough getting Kung Fu, but we can always dream for more :)

Anime in HD would be good for animania, which I'm very disappointed with b/c so far none of the shows they have interest me.

As for reducing some channels to up the bandwidth, how about if we start up a posse and run auctionhd out of town?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts