$10 HBO going away???

Since the AT&T merger, they raised my AT&T bill $1.46 for Administrative Fees, raised Directv Now by $5 and my dad received this notice that HBO would increase to $15 after 2-3 year being $10. They didn't waste any time raising things. Also, I noticed Dish has Cinemax half off for only 3 months now instead of the usual 6 months like other offers. I hope the merger gets reversed.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
I noticed that under the "My Offers" tab in my online account, all the HBO and Cinemax deals are gone. I used to have 3 offers - $10 HBO for 3 months, $5 Cinemax for 3 months, then $10 of HBO and Cinemax for 3 months. (why they had them separated I am not sure...I would think everyone would take the last deal).

I noticed that under the "My Offers" tab in my online account, all the HBO and Cinemax deals are gone. I used to have 3 offers - $10 HBO for 3 months, $5 Cinemax for 3 months, then $10 of HBO and Cinemax for 3 months. (why they had them separated I am not sure...I would think everyone would take the last deal).
Like I speculated in another thread, I think it is contract negotiation time. That is why we see the scheduled end of the long-term deal, the shorter-term 3 month deals lately, and the lack of new deals being offered. Once Dish has a long-term contract with HBO in place again, we will likely see the return of longer-term deals. (at least six months, to match the other premium deals)

Like I speculated in another thread, I think it is contract negotiation time. That is why we see the scheduled end of the long-term deal, the shorter-term 3 month deals lately, and the lack of new deals being offered. Once Dish has a long-term contract with HBO in place again, we will likely see the return of longer-term deals. (at least six months, to match the other premium deals)

With the current ownership status of HBO now possibly in flux I just hope that Dish is able to get a long term HBO contract done.

Reactions: pattykay

It's been almost 4 years since we had the Dish/Time Warner dispute where Dish dropped channels. Doing a quick Google search, the first wave of channels expired at the end of June 2014 and were given a temporary extension, the next group expired in Oct 2014 which is when both groups of the channels were dropped, a short term deal was reached on Nov 21 and a comprehensive agreement was announced on April 1, 2015, which included HBO streaming on Sling. Looking at the timeline, if it were a 4 year deal from when the temporary deal was reached, or maybe a 3.5 year deal from April 1, 2015, that lines up with the fact that the 6 month deals disappeared early April and now in July I don't see a 3 month deal anymore.

I wish Dish had a page like AT&T has for U-Verse where it lists 90 days out channels that could be dropped each month if a new contract is not signed. Would definitely shed light on things like this!

I think U-Verse is acting under cable regulations that require such public notification. There is no such regulation for satellite. It is possible that Dish's contracts with the content providers do not allow Dish to disclose such things, until the content providers go public with the dispute and start notifying their viewers. At that point, Dish will update the dishpromise.com site to spin their side of the story.

Reactions: ChadT41
The merger is no surprise because the Sirius/XM merger went through with no problem. The only two satellite radio companies merged so now there is no competition. This is what happens when a country is run by corporations and the lawmakers they pay off. This is what happens when the lawmakers pass laws that apply to themselves.

Don’t you think the choice was ONE satellite radio company- or NO satellite radio company?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
The thing that was hurting XM..was poor GM car sales....Sirius was a Johnny come lately...nobody until they signed Howard...XM had most of the car manufacturers locked up but Sirius had the programming...as in Howard and a lot of sports...XM would have survived but Sirius not so much

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sounds like att/Warner ceo is ruffling a lot of feathers at hbo. Currently they have best post theatrical movies, boxing production, and series, but I won’t be surprised if they see a huge turnaround in the next year. Plus the Disney/fox merger all but guarantees they’ll lose 20th century fox rights at the end of their agreement, and I cannot imagine universal/Comcast is too happy with the restriction free merger they were allowed.

Hopefully showtime and starz can take advantage of this upcoming mess and steal a few producers and what not.

Just be thankful Dish and Direct never merged. If Dish had bought Direct, I think it would have been fine. But seeing how ATT cannibalized Direct, I wouldn’t have liked to see them do that to Dish.

The merger is no surprise because the Sirius/XM merger went through with no problem. The only two satellite radio companies merged so now there is no competition. This is what happens when a country is run by corporations and the lawmakers they pay off. This is what happens when the lawmakers pass laws that apply to themselves.

Excellent example of apples to car horns comparison. (There is no comparison) I am thankful for the satellite radio merger. SiriusXm has more subscribers (by far) than the two did, over 32 million. All mergers are not bad and can be very beneficial to the consumer. Sometimes it brings better options to the consumer that smaller companies could not do. Obviously there are those that may not be good for the consumer, however it could be not good in the short term but become apparent it was good later on. And of course some seem to never be good for the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)