$10 mo for 6 mo offer to stay with DISH vs $764 if I move to Direct TV - which one would you take?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
It's hard to believe that a company's business model is intentionally designed to drive price conscience customers to a competitor, especially with the current trend of consumers "cutting the cord" and a declining loyal customer base. In today's competitive marketplace, neither a company's "brand" nor the features and benefits of its products sit at the head of the table anymore, and I firmly believe that those company's that can't or are unwilling to adapt to the marketplace will not be in business very much longer.

Reactions: fbara and MikeD-C05
I think for a lot of people, saved content on EHDs and specific DVR features sit at the head of a lot of consumers... Not just the power users here. If basically giving the service away to everyone was what they did... They wouldn't be making the increased profit each quarter. I'm confident some bean counting analytic sat there and was able to judge the churn rate and how much money was the bottom line to give away. I have no problem trusting the business or financial doings of one of the richest men on the planet that started from scratch. Now, when you get to DTV, you may like them, but also you may not. But when the day to day price is compared... Dish is the cheaper provider by a significant amount in almost every department.

Reactions: Yespage
I think for a lot of people, saved content on EHDs and specific DVR features sit at the head of a lot of consumers... Not just the power users here. If basically giving the service away to everyone was what they did... They wouldn't be making the increased profit each quarter. I'm confident some bean counting analytic sat there and was able to judge the churn rate and how much money was the bottom line to give away. I have no problem trusting the business or financial doings of one of the richest men on the planet that started from scratch. Now, when you get to DTV, you may like them, but also you may not. But when the day to day price is compared... Dish is the cheaper provider by a significant amount in almost every department.

While the "bean counters" may have had success in the past, the future is rapidly destroying any business model that supported their analysis. Just ask those financial professionals whose job is to predict future growth and failures of businesses and you will know exactly why D* has merged with AT&T and E* is looking for a suitor. Their business model can no longer sustain the company's profit goals.and that's why I question why E* drives the customer to their competitor, only to send them a mailer the next month begging them to come back with an offer they could have made to begin with.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that DISH is the cheaper provider without placing a "value" on features and benefits that the customer wants. On face value, a $764 savings offered by a competitor is a lot more meaningful to the consumer than a measly $60, all things being equal since they both deliver almost the same content, channel for channel.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
And two years from now you will be saying the same thing about DTV! Been there, done that. If money perks are what matter to you the most, take the deal. That's what got me to DISH after a few years with DTV and will probably get me back to DTV and DISH again in the future. The bean counters rule the communications industry! I came back to DISH this time mainly because of the auto hop feature. Well, IMO that's useless now. My wife is not going to wait 3-7 days to watch her favorite shows. But then again, I hated all the bugs the HR34 at DTV had at that time. There's always a reason for change. If money is it, go for it.

While the "bean counters" may have had success in the past, the future is rapidly destroying any business model that supported their analysis. Just ask those financial professionals whose job is to predict future growth and failures of businesses and you will know exactly why D* has merged with AT&T and E* is looking for a suitor. Their business model can no longer sustain the company's profit goals.and that's why I question why E* drives the customer to their competitor, only to send them a mailer the next month begging them to come back with an offer they could have made to begin with.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that DISH is the cheaper provider without placing a "value" on features and benefits that the customer wants. On face value, a $764 savings offered by a competitor is a lot more meaningful to the consumer than a measly $60, all things being equal since they both deliver almost the same content, channel for channel.
Could you please show me an offer from Directv to an existing Directv customer that matches their promotional pricing as an attempt to stay with Directv? Because otherwise you are comparing apples to automobiles.

Almost no one offers their own promotional rates to their own established customers (though apparently a few here have received a substantial offer, up to $50 I think a month for 6 months). Directv will offer the world to a Dish sub... while Dish will offer the world to a Directv sub.

Only asking why Dish won't offer the world to the Dish sub when Directv doesn't do it either is silly.

That $10/6 months mentioned would be a savings of $324 over that average DTV customer. FYI. With better equipment and features. People will pay for things they want which is why people go to dish or DTV. NFLST and Autohop.

It's hard to believe that a company's business model is intentionally designed to drive price conscience customers to a competitor, especially with the current trend of consumers "cutting the cord" and a declining loyal customer base. In today's competitive marketplace, neither a company's "brand" nor the features and benefits of its products sit at the head of the table anymore, and I firmly believe that those company's that can't or are unwilling to adapt to the marketplace will not be in business very much longer.

This is intriguing, can you break down the $764 for me?

Reactions: lparsons21
In today's competitive marketplace, neither a company's "brand" nor the features and benefits of its products sit at the head of the table anymore,
That's YOUR stance. Personally, I'm willing to spend more money if it gives me something I want. If you're only looking for the cheapest product, that's fine. Just make sure you look at what happens when the "intro" rate is over. I think with Direct, it's one rate for months 1-12, a higher rate for months 13-24, and a still higher rate after that. Maybe you're willing to jump back and forth every two years to make sure you're getting the cheapest offer. Some of us aren't.

Reactions: Tampa8

My comments were addressing a "price conscience" consumer marketplace which I believe the majority of "buyers" exist in. Of course, to each his own when placing a value on those benefits and features that one might consider as an offset to any actual monetary savings. The issue I raised is that E* and D* business models were driving "price conscience" consumers to the competition, only to offer them a better deal than they offered them while they were still an existing customer. The fact that they both do it doesn't play well in today's competitive marketplace, and only frustrates the consumer; who will eventually win out in the end as more and more of them decide to "cut the cord"

This is intriguing, can you break down the $764 for me?

Current E* bill $110.99 mo = $1,331.88 for 1st 12 months
D* bill $67.99 mo = $815.88 for 1st 12 months
Difference $516 1st 12 months savings
Bonus $200 gift card from any Costco, Sam's Club or Walmart etc.
Total Savings $716 or $59.77 mo

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Current E* bill $110.99 mo = $1,331.88 for 1st 12 months
D* bill $67.99 mo = $815.88 for 1st 12 months
Difference $516 1st 12 months savings
Bonus $200 gift card from any Costco, Sam's Club or Walmart etc.
Total Savings $716 or $59.77 mo

Thanks.

Why do we have threads about this every few months? Nothing has change from the previous gazillion threads on the subject. I almost wish these would get locked immediately.

Go ahead and hop on the carousel - its part of the game. Smarter folks go ahead and cancel effective the day after the new install is scheduled and make it a week or so in the future.

That's YOUR stance. Personally, I'm willing to spend more money if it gives me something I want. If you're only looking for the cheapest product, that's fine. Just make sure you look at what happens when the "intro" rate is over. I think with Direct, it's one rate for months 1-12, a higher rate for months 13-24, and a still higher rate after that. Maybe you're willing to jump back and forth every two years to make sure you're getting the cheapest offer. Some of us aren't.

Exactly my point; that value is in the eyes of the beholder and to each his own. It's a trade off as long as they don't run out of those willing to play the game, which the most current statistics say they are.

Did you get that $10 off for 6 months offer from retention when you went to cancel? If not, that isn't the best offer you can get.

Still need to know exactly what you had with DISH and what you will have with Direct TV, and also not sure you included the $60 off you would have had with DISH? Like dare2be said if you didn't escalate you may not have been given the best discount. Spending that amount per month and assuming mostly on time payments I have seen better offers given.

I honestly do not expect him to be to negative when he posts. Claude is not stupid by any means, and the only reason he does what he does is because he feels let down by Dish, and wants to return the favor. He knows some of what he says is misplaced and I think he really believes that no one and everyone is wrong. Which is fair. Like I mentioned a few months back, take out the Dish bashing, and Claude is a really good guy on these forums.

While the "bean counters" may have had success in the past, the future is rapidly destroying any business model that supported their analysis. Just ask those financial professionals whose job is to predict future growth and failures of businesses and you will know exactly why D* has merged with AT&T and E* is looking for a suitor.
DIRECTV was bought outright (this was NOT a merger) by AT&T because AT&T wanted the 20% profits that DIRECTV was reaping. DISH is looking for someone they can buy with their booty of bandwidth.

Your "financial professionals" are otherwise known as "pundits" because they often have no direct industry experience (see more at Moffett Nathanson Research, LLC). Having the ear of the CFO doesn't make one an authority on the inner financial theory any more than being a subscriber makes you omniscient in where the company is headed with hardware policy or what percentage the rates will go up in February.

Reactions: Tampa8 and KAB

by "their competitor" you must mean SlingTV ;). That's why Ergen is working both sides of the street and no other MVPD today doing so. All the legacy companies you a complaining about have or very soon will launch new services that are targeted for the new era or they have and will continue to buy those companies and services you seem to view as superior. None of the old monsters are going away; they just change their spots or buy the "competition."

Now, back on topic and the presumed point of your question/subject title, but not your post:
Do whatever you want. You are the consumer. Do what you think is best for you. Unfortunately Wall Street rewards those who have subscriber growth, but not necessarily increased profits, as Dish continues to have rising profits. It's all about the stock price, and Wall Street rarely is a good predictor of which business will prosper in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)