10 Voom Channels - Compelling Content or Just HDTV?

I really like RAVE and the Monster channels. My wife wishes they would put some Kung Fu movies on - of all things!

I am an existing subscriber and therefore I cannot lease the 942. :no

we loved VOOM and miss all the MOVIES on it, as we are locked into directv for a year,
there is so many channels on directv & dish that we do not care for,could not go to cable as it is hard to drag a cable behind a R V, in a lot of the R V parks the cable is very bad , so we need a satellite.
but we would have had a hard time with the sat. at 61.5 in a rv park with a lot of trees or hills, so we would have lost voom anyway
IF YOU LIKE MOVIES GET VOOM THEY ARE GREAT WITH A HD TV OR A REG. SD TV
if we want to listen to music we turn on the radio ( directv has over 40 channels music
we are not into sports ( I KNOW a lot of people are ) 35 CHANNELS OF SPORTS
DIRECT AND DISH BOTH NEEDED MORE MOVIE CHANNELS IN S D OR H D TV

TO: CarlB

Based on your description of your viewing preferences and the fact that you dont' have a 61.5, I'd suggest you wait until September to see what other satellite locations Voom may be mirrored on before or after mp4.

For those of us with a 61.5, it's a no brainer to give it a try.

Some say that Cinema10 shows old movies and foreign films - others say they show timeless Classics and some of the best cinema the world has to offer? Different strokes for different folks! Me? I had Va Va VOOM, but was disappointed in the repeats, crappy movies, and repeats of crappy movies (one month on SHO, then on HBO, then on Starz, etc.) being shown on the Premium movie packs. In fact, we watched almost 10 times more on Cinema10 than we did on all the Premium movie channels combined. Plus, there is only so much we can watch in any given week:

- Select Network Broadcast favorites (CSIs, Raymond, etc.)
- Sports (me)
- Lifetime/SOAP channel (wife)
- Local HD News (lucky us in the DC area), HDNews and other news programs
- Animania (little one)
- VOOM/HD movies and events (as time permits)

Personally, we didn't watch some of the VOOM exclusives (Lab, Gallery), but we sure appreciated having additional HD choices.

The content of the VOOM10 currently being offered by Dish is a bargain at $5/month. This is one decisoion in life that is a total no-brainer.

Monsters is developing a cult-like following. The Rave concerts are terrific. Equater is always interesting. Rush shows intense sports activities that are out of this world. The other two movie channels rotate a total of eight movies each months. Gallery is interesting for art folks.

The 16 HD channels now offered by Dish (outside of premium paks) give the HD-lover a nice assortment of content.

Open the purse and pull out the 5 bucks.

Voom Guide

On the Voom forum someone used to post upcoming movies and programs for the Voom 21 channels for like a month in advance.....not sure where they got the Info from. I think it may have been Sean Moto?

DarrellP said:
They are now showing 4 movies/day on the movie channels and it was just reported in another thread that Equator is going to air some World Cinema movies, so yes, IMHO, it is well worth it.

LMFAO. How many times did I scream for them to do that when they were alive? Imagine the bandwidth they could have saved shutting off 1/2 of the cinema 10.

kirkdj said:
On the Voom forum someone used to post upcoming movies and programs for the Voom 21 channels for like a month in advance.....not sure where they got the Info from. I think it may have been Sean Moto?
The VOOM Programming Forum was renamed to The VOOM-21 Programming Forum Sub-Forum and moved under the HDTV Programming Forum. Sean Mota keeps the VOOM-21 information up-to-date.

im just the opposite of you , voom channels are the main reason i will fork 500 for the 942 to get hd channels, the other reg hd channels didnt impress me just more ofsame ole channels where as the voom channels offer unique programming i mean just look at the shows on there, they are dif than you can get anywhere else. thats what appeals to me the difference in programming.

I guess I'm just adding a "me too" here, but I'm very excited to be getting back my Voom channels on Saturday. I'll have had two weeks of gnashing my teeth with cable (ugh!).

It is posted above that Equator will be showing some WorldCinema content, and we all have seen that Majestic and GuyTV are adding in some of the other Cinema channels and La Liga on Rush. Has anyone else noticed that on Dish's website it appears that Gallery is including some "Auction" content? If Kung Fu shows up on GuyTV and FilmFest and Docs on Majestic then it will be pretty much everything that there was before on just 10 channels. Oh... except for Lab/Moov.

In short, plenty of compelling content, and with an HD-DVR such folding in of channels to save bandwidth is a no brainer.

Assuming my 942 will pick up all the same locals as the Voom STB I'm going to be a happy camper!

CDH.

I see that HDNet and EquatorHD both have "Smart Travels", so it is easy to compare quality between these two. I think HDNet has the higher quality of the two. It seems to me that the Voom channels "soften" with any motion, where HDNet always stays sharp.

It seems that the EPG for Voom is now in synch with the programming; that first week, it was all over the place.

I spent hours the other night watching MonsterHD. And the Matt Helm mini-marathons over the weekend brought back mammories, er, memories.

First day watching Voom and I already got my $5 out of it.

At least 4 channels always stay fresh so I'm sure it's deffinetly worth it. Looking forward to more!

CDH said:
I guess I'm just adding a "me too" here, but I'm very excited to be getting back my Voom channels on Saturday. I'll have had two weeks of gnashing my teeth with cable (ugh!).

It is posted above that Equator will be showing some WorldCinema content, and we all have seen that Majestic and GuyTV are adding in some of the other Cinema channels and La Liga on Rush. Has anyone else noticed that on Dish's website it appears that Gallery is including some "Auction" content? If Kung Fu shows up on GuyTV and FilmFest and Docs on Majestic then it will be pretty much everything that there was before on just 10 channels. Oh... except for Lab/Moov.

In short, plenty of compelling content, and with an HD-DVR such folding in of channels to save bandwidth is a no brainer.

Assuming my 942 will pick up all the same locals as the Voom STB I'm going to be a happy camper!

CDH.
Sure wish they would combine Guy Tv, Kung Fu & Vice into Guy TV. My family sure misses those flipper reruns on Family. So if they add FU, Vice, Filmest and Family they have it.

Foxbat said:
I see that HDNet and EquatorHD both have "Smart Travels", so it is easy to compare quality between these two. I think HDNet has the higher quality of the two. It seems to me that the Voom channels "soften" with any motion, where HDNet always stays sharp.

It seems that the EPG for Voom is now in synch with the programming; that first week, it was all over the place.

I spent hours the other night watching MonsterHD. And the Matt Helm mini-marathons over the weekend brought back mammories, er, memories.

Foxbat.... LOVE your avatar. Hopefully the NASA channel will have some compelling content when we finally get our people back into space.....

Carl B. Impossible to answer your question. For example if you don't like surfing, motocross, snow boarding, para gliding, shooting rapids on a Kayak, dirt bike racing, etc. you're not going to like RUSH whether it's in HD or 3D. If you don't like movies then you're not going to like anything they show on GUY, MONSTERS or MAJESTIC....or any movie channel for that matter. If you don't like MTV or bands or music then RAVE is not going to suit you. Etc, etc.

I'll tell you, there is nothing more exhilarating than watching hang gliding on an 8' wide screen in HD, talk about having the "window" experience, it damn near makes me throw up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts