10 Voom Channels Gone, How Do You Feel?

10 Voom channels are gone, how do you feel?

• Happy - I did not care for Voom

Votes: 57 11.8%
  • No Biggie - I was not into Voom

Votes: 100 20.7%
  • No Biggie - They kept my channel

Votes: 73 15.1%
  • Disappointed but will stay where I am

Votes: 155 32.1%
  • Not Happy - I will downgrade my service

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Not Happy - I will leave at contract end

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Not Happy - If D* picks up Voom, I'm gone

Votes: 59 12.2%

• Total voters
DirecTV would be genious to pick up Voom. They have plenty of capacity, so it would not hurt them at all. Sure, the turd bird subs probablly dont care much about voom, but I think there would be alot of E* defectors over this issue. Not even because they watched it, but for the principal of the issue. One has what the other doesnt. This could really come back to haunt E* in the long run. Personally, I can't stant D*'s DVR, but I would have to really consider switching to them now. I stuck around here long enough waiting and waiting and waiting. Now we get some new content, and whammo they take 10 channels away. Nothing separates them now from anyone else. Why would I stay?
Bingo... I have both services and right now Dish gets more money, I can see that changing soon...

I don't think many E* subscribers would switch at all. I think it would be a waste of money for them to put up all 15 voom channels.

As others have speculated, condense the content down to the 5 channels and don't repeat things 100x per month.

I don't think many E* subscribers would switch at all. I think it would be a waste of money for them to put up all 15 voom channels.

As others have speculated, condense the content down to the 5 channels and don't repeat things 100x per month.
I could agree with you, if the content actually was condensed into the remaining channels. But if the remaining channels keep the same old programming they have now, it's a net loss for me and for a lot of people.

I'm with a lot of other people, the repeats became really old. I would click on Equater or Gameplay when I saw something new, but other than that, I really didnt watch them. Now, my wife likes Rave and my daughter likes Monsters, so they are good to go.

Speaking for myself and only myself, lose them all, BUT TELL US, and add more national and locals in HD. Or as some people started, combine them into 5 or 6 channels with tons of variety.

If Voom ends, D* still wins because they could grab AMC-HD, IFC-HD, We-HD, and Fuse-HD early before E* gets a reasonable chance to provide these channels. Capacity is tight for D* at this moment, but it is limited only in the short term. E* has some capacity, but we know their space is limited as well.

E* starting to get a break in the industry, but it had to act like a punk at the end. That was a horrible statement probably written by Charlie. E* should have more class. I do not see how E* can get new customers. I think this will keep most existing customers at this moment.

I'm glad Monsters, Rave, Rush, and Equator survived, but I also watched FilmFest a good bit, and even enjoyed Ultra on occasion, so I will miss both of those. My main reason for liking the voom channels - NO COMMERCIALS !!! Anything that "replaces" a voom channel but has commercials is not all good news for me.

That said, bring on the new HD content...with a vengeance! Maybe I'll forget the lost voom channels sooner that way...

I had to register just to address this. Unique programming is what makes services special and separates said service from the competition. Lose your uniqueness and you are like the other guy. With that said, VOOM made Dish unique and the reason why I went with Dish instead of Direct in December of last year. It's also the reason why I chose XM over Sirius for one station - Cinemagic. It's unique and refreshing.

Appealing to the masses does no good for anyone. Dish is diluting itself with this move. You really have to set yourself apart from the competition and VOOM did that for Dish (content or not).

Now, I am happy that Monsters HD is still here. That is the single channel I watch the most and there is no comparison for it. It is fantastic, especially now that their content and schedule is varied and growing. Chiller is absolutely not in the same league as Monsters HD so don't even suggest Chiller as a replacement for Monsters HD. Chiller is horrible (HD or not).

I will say this. If Monsters HD goes away I go with it. If it goes away and nobody picks it up I will drop Dish and move over to Direct for some of the extra channels I can get over there (like FSNY HD and YES HD) that are not on Dish.

I'll miss the movie channels and the Spanish football league broadcasts, and would think about getting them another way if they were made available. VOOM has issues, for sure, but I do feel that the loss negatively impacts the diversity of programming out there. Of the new offerings, I am grateful only for TWC and ESPNNews (if I could block the likes of Pat Robertson and Donny Deutsch I would). Perhaps I'll come to appreciate some of the others. Overall the moves are a wash for me.

On the other hand, I might not feel so bad if DISH made NESN and CSNNE available to me in the HD-only package.

I had to register just to address this. Unique programming is what makes services special and separates said service from the competition. Lose your uniqueness and you are like the other guy. With that said, VOOM made Dish unique and the reason why I went with Dish instead of Direct in December of last year. It's also the reason why I chose XM over Sirius for one station - Cinemagic. It's unique and refreshing.

Appealing to the masses does no good for anyone. Dish is diluting itself with this move. You really have to set yourself apart from the competition and VOOM did that for Dish (content or not).

Now, I am happy that Monsters HD is still here. That is the single channel I watch the most and there is no comparison for it. It is fantastic, especially now that their content and schedule is varied and growing. Chiller is absolutely not in the same league as Monsters HD so don't even suggest Chiller as a replacement for Monsters HD. Chiller is horrible (HD or not).

I will say this. If Monsters HD goes away I go with it. If it goes away and nobody picks it up I will drop Dish and move over to Direct for some of the extra channels I can get over there (like FSNY HD and YES HD) that are not on Dish.

Starshifter, welcome to SatelliteGuys! :welcome You may have been lurking before but welcome anyway!

I agree with your comments. Uniqueness has it's advantages and I think Dish just lost theirs.

I would like to see Voom put the majority of their $ into Monstershd. I am only guessing without the data but Monsters has to be their most popular channel. And you are correct about Chiller- it blows!

Uniqueness is good as long as you have all the regular channels... Dish has been lagging behind D* in terms of getting the standard HD everyone expects/will expect in the near future. Therefore they had to make a choice on what was more important, keeping a small number of people who like the uniqueness of Voom or trying to keep the people from defecting and not signing up to Dish HD because of their lack of mainstream HD.

Pretty simple if you ask me...

Uniqueness is good as long as you have all the regular channels... Dish has been lagging behind D* in terms of getting the standard HD everyone expects/will expect in the near future. Therefore they had to make a choice on what was more important, keeping a small number of people who like the uniqueness of Voom or trying to keep the people from defecting and not signing up to Dish HD because of their lack of mainstream HD.

Pretty simple if you ask me...
So where are these channels everyone says Dish needs? Nothing appeared in the place of 10 channels that just disappeared.

Can you list 10 channels that Fox does not have locked up that we NEED right now that have HD programming ready to go that people are willing to tolerate commercials and zooming to eliminate the OAR black bars Joe Sixpack can't seem to understand?

I had the everything with HD for years, and I am glad to see Voom get removed. Maybe Voom will take a hint and make the remaining 5 channels halfway decent. What are we replacing the 10 with? I'm ready.

World Cinema was removed on May 1st and replaced by VOOM HD MOVIES. (which now itself is gone)

Yeah, but World Cinema films were still being shown on FilmFest, whereas the new channel was focusing slightly more mainstream (probably showing more of FilmFest stuff than FilmFest was.)

Although I did not watch allot of Voom it was nice to always have some HD to flip to just to enjoy the picture. I will leave Dish when my contract is up, would have anyways given the way they treat their customers they do not deserve my money (This bait and switch routine is just another bad action by a company destined to continue on in mediocrity). I have a hard time finding any service providers I feel do, so I think I will go with the 22 channels I get via OTA and maybe look at setting up a FTA system for some others.

I am not happy with the way they did it, they should have at least mentioned it on the Tech Chat since they knew it was going to happen, instead they took the chicken sh*t approach and decided not to say a word.

From where I sit though most of the VOOM channels were garbage, but they were only garbage because of the amount of repeats on them. They could have combined the networks and made 7 REALLY GOOD channels that had great variety. From where I sit only HDNews should be the only 24/7 channel since the mateiral is always updating.

In this day and age of the DVR they can air programming from all the channels and folks wont miss their favorite programs.

Right on the money. Its not that they were taken down but the WAY they went about doing it......

Its interesting to note Dish added all those national HD channels BEFORE Voom was removed. Imagine if it was done in reverse ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)