100+ HD channels?

Jestr40

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
With DirecTv supposedly going to have 100+ national HD channels by late 2007, can we reasonably expect the same from Comcast? I would think that this has to be a concern for all cable companies. I know in my market HD seems to have taken a back seat to the Comcast phone service.

Just FYI: The comments behind DirecTV is:

After the addition of the last 2 remaining satellites in 2007, their new capacity of that system will be 150 national HD channels and 1500 local HD channels; not that they will be offering 150 national HD channels by 2007. There likely will not be near that many broadcasting HD channels yet for DirecTV , Dish, or cable to add.

It wan't stated but I think he was talking about all channels including the local channels. If that is the case, they will still be behind Dish and cable.

tdti1 said:
Just wait till cable can due away with there analog channels, they will have tons of room for HD.

First are you talking about Feb. 17, 2009?

It seems to me that it is almost easier to launch a billion dollar satellite than it is to dig a hole and place a "broader" cable in it. I know this is WAY over simplifying things but I am hearing huge claims by DirecTv and almost nothing from Comcast.

BTW: I currently have Comcast for HD content and DirecTv for sports subs. I am debating going HD on DirecTv and dropping Comcast even though TODAY I am very happy with Comcast.

Last edited:
tdti1 said:
Just wait till cable can due away with there analog channels, they will have tons of room for HD.
There is still plenty of room on 750 MHz and 860 MHz cable systems to add at least another 40 HD channels. The 550 MHz systems are holding up progress.

You already have HD on the current cable, and when everybody finally upgrades to a digital cable set top box, then they do not need analog anymore, not everyone will upgrade but when the majority does cable co's will not have a large amount to convert free or for a small upgrade charge.

Verizon and there fibre is also something to look at for HD.

tdti1 said:

Could be a long wait. I suspect it will be several years before most cable systems turn off their analog channels. Too many of their customers still have analog only TVs VCR's and DVD-R's.

Jestr40 said:
With DirecTv supposedly going to have 100+ national HD channels by late 2007, can we reasonably expect the same from Comcast? I would think that this has to be a concern for all cable companies. I know in my market HD seems to have taken a back seat to the Comcast phone service.

Here's what Steve Burke, Comcast COO said in a recent interview here http://www.tvpredictions.com/burke091306.htm

"TVP: Can you estimate how many new HD channels will be offered on Comcast systems between now and the end of the third quarter 2007?

"SB: We’re planning to offer 32-35 HD channels (including broadcast) by the third quarter of 2007. (Note: Comcast now has around 20 national and local HD channels, depending upon the market.)"

It seems to me that this is a reasonable estimate. I think I read that the prediction by D* of 100+ national HD channels by Rupert Murdoch was later disavowed by a D* spokesperson who said Murdoch "mis-spoke." (He actually said 100 HD channels by Christmas. More here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=725849)

Dana

Last edited:
LonghornXP said:
As the title says I've got confirmation that Comcast feels they are just a matter of time (not a question of it they will get it but when) to getting a deal done for National Geographic Channel HD. I'm told they are within a couple of months at the latest until the papers are done. I'm hearing about a tenative date of September 1st, 2006 as the launch date again only for areas with bandwidth.

We will just have to wait and see if this pans out.

Still waiting for this one.

drbonbi said:
Here's what Steve Burke, Comcast COO said in a recent interview here http://www.tvpredictions.com/burke091306.htm

"TVP: Can you estimate how many new HD channels will be offered on Comcast systems between now and the end of the third quarter 2007?

"SB: We’re planning to offer 32-35 HD channels (including broadcast) by the third quarter of 2007. (Note: Comcast now has around 20 national and local HD channels, depending upon the market.)"

It seems to me that this is a reasonable estimate. I think I read that the prediction by D* of 100+ national HD channels by Rupert Murdoch was later disavowed by a D* spokesperson who said Murdoch "mis-spoke." (He actually said 100 HD channels by Christmas. More here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=725849)

Dana
If Comcast provides that many by 3rd quarter of 2007, I'll be very happy. Actually, I'd be very happy if they provided only about 6 more HD channels if they were the right channels.

I agree that 32-35 would be great. I also have read that DirecTv has poor picture quality on alot of the HD channels they offer now. I have read nothing from DirecTv that even admidts to this now or whether they are going to improve the pq with the new sats.

Chris Freeland said:
Could be a long wait. I suspect it will be several years before most cable systems turn off their analog channels. Too many of their customers still have analog only TVs VCR's and DVD-R's.

Unless there new set top boxes will be HDMI out only, what I quoted from you above does not really matter, I record digital just fine with my old vcr.

Did anyone see the announcement of the channels that will be discontinued later this month in the SF Bay area? Any chance that is in line with the addition of new HD channels

ReconPJ said:
Did anyone see the announcement of the channels that will be discontinued later this month in the SF Bay area? Any chance that is in line with the addition of new HD channels

I got it in Rohnert Park. The channels being deleted are plain digital channels. With just 4 of them I only see one new HD channel, maybe KBCW channel 44 as a guess.

ReconPJ said:

Just got a message this morning that they are adding MTV-HD. Argh! I would have preferred KBHK HD or Universal.

When we speak of the overall amounts of HD channels we should understand that it is pretty much do with demand. Naturally things like sports, locals and ppv's would go...also nature ones...

However there's plenty of channels that frankly would have a low demand to go to hd...say for example a hd oxygen, hd g4, hd soap opera channel etc. If there's space for it that's one thing but the channels most likely will be allocated in terms of the demand.

Is there a list online of ALL of the national channels that offer some form of HD programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)