1000.2 pointing. Or guessing.

Blastfurnace

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Eastern Ohio
Ok,

I have searched and searched but most of the posts I find are OLD and I have yet to find one concise resource.

here's my situation...

I just bought a 1000.2 dish antenna complete. Then I bought a 722K DVR.

My old 501 died of HD failure. So I took down my old Dish antenna and put this new one on the existing mast.

aiming has been an exersize in frustration.

I have a dumb question. Or two.
When it says Azimuth 240 exactly WHAT do you point to 240?? The boom holding up the LNB's or the flat side of the mounting hardware that is near the mast?

And why do I get 119 at about 84 on the meter but 129 only at 35? If I try to improve with the tinyest of movements the 119 drops to 50ish and 129 dissappears.

I have the 722K.
I live in the 43932 zip code.
I have a coax from Sat 1 on the receiver to the #1 on the LNB
and a Coax from the Sat 2 on the receiver to the #2 on the LNB

And what numbers should I be happy with when pointing? Should I strive for a 100 on 119? Or a 70ish on 129?

On the 1000.2 there is a connection marked LNB. should I put my old dish back up and hook it to that somehow?

Ok guys. I know this is alot of newbie stuff and I truely apologize. Is there a FAQ or setup manual for the 1000.2 that would have all of these answers?

Thank you so much for your time.

Mark

Ok,

I have searched and searched but most of the posts I find are OLD and I have yet to find one concise resource.

here's my situation...

I just bought a 1000.2 dish antenna complete. Then I bought a 722K DVR.

My old 501 died of HD failure. So I took down my old Dish antenna and put this new one on the existing mast.

aiming has been an exersize in frustration.

I have a dumb question. Or two.
When it says Azimuth 240 exactly WHAT do you point to 240?? The boom holding up the LNB's or the flat side of the mounting hardware that is near the mast?

And why do I get 119 at about 84 on the meter but 129 only at 35? If I try to improve with the tinyest of movements the 119 drops to 50ish and 129 dissappears.

I have the 722K.
I live in the 43932 zip code.
I have a coax from Sat 1 on the receiver to the #1 on the LNB
and a Coax from the Sat 2 on the receiver to the #2 on the LNB

And what numbers should I be happy with when pointing? Should I strive for a 100 on 119? Or a 70ish on 129?

On the 1000.2 there is a connection marked LNB. should I put my old dish back up and hook it to that somehow?

Ok guys. I know this is alot of newbie stuff and I truely apologize. Is there a FAQ or setup manual for the 1000.2 that would have all of these answers?

Thank you so much for your time.

Mark
What are you using for a meter to peak the dish?
Step one....
Make sure the mast is dead plumb...
Step two....make sure you have the dish set to theproper elevation and skew...
in your case the elevation is 29*.....The skew is 54..
Your compass azimuth is 239*..
Now as for "what do you point to 239*..Answer...STand behind the dish..using the mast, draw an imaginary line perpendicular to the earth. The tow halves of the clamp which holds the dish to the mast is you reference point. This is a part that has the bolts that are to be tightened after the dish is set.

Follow this procedure..
---set elevation and skew
---place dish on mast(you've already done that)
---"snug" nuts on the mounting clamp to prevent the dish from rocking on the mast..
---get behind the dish and with your compass, make sure the two halves of the mast clamp are pointed roughly at 240*
---connect meter or open window and crank up volume on tv...whichever method you are using..
---S-L-O-W-L-Y sweeep dish across the sky
---give the receiver time to acquire signal
---once you get signal , continue to slowly sweep until the signal fades...
---STOP!!!!
---sweep dish back in opposite direction to get back to where the best signal is.
---Tighten nuts on mast clamp...
---gently grasp dish on the sides...rock it left and right. if either movement cause the signal to go up, slghtly loosen the mast clamp nuts and nudge the dish in the direction that gave the slightly higher signal..Tighten nuts .
---gently grasp dish on top and bottom..floow same procedure as above..
---at this point, you should have the best signal possible provided the mast is plumb and all components in the satellite system are working properly...
In this region signals for the 1000.2 are: for 119.generaly in the mid to upper 70's
for 110..mid 70's to mid 80's...for 129 mid 50's to mid 60's

check the following tp's on each satellite. these are on our QC matrix..
110...tp's 14,15,16,21
119...tp's 14,15,16,21
129...tp's 17,18,25,29
check back with your results

Your last resort would be slight adjustment on the skew. You need a compromise, seeing 129 is where most HD is located you need it as high as possible which may mean loosing some signal on 110.

O.K.

The web site I went to said 125.9 skew. You say 54. Does the fact that these add up to 180 mean we are both talking about the same thing?

Thanks for the info on the azimuth angle.

The mast on my house I tap-con'd there years ago. The one way I can set dead perfect because it is adjustable but the other way has six bolts into a block wall. when I check it that way it is off a little bit.

By little bit I mean I use a 4 foot level and the bubble is touching the line.

I am leaning towards a skew tweak, Pun intended.

my 119 is a solid 80+. I will check it on the TP's you suggest. An Azimuth tweak destroys it but an elevation tweak just weakens it.

Since you gave me the ball park signal limits for my area I know what to shoot for.

Would I be better to install a seperate dish antenna? I still have the old dish 500 one that I took down. Although I would have no idea how to set it up. Or is that a zero sum effort?

And you asked what I used to aim it. I used the signal meter on the 722K and listened through an open window.

Thanks

Mark

O.K.

The web site I went to said 125.9 skew. You say 54. Does the fact that these add up to 180 mean we are both talking about the same thing?

Thanks for the info on the azimuth angle.

The mast on my house I tap-con'd there years ago. The one way I can set dead perfect because it is adjustable but the other way has six bolts into a block wall. when I check it that way it is off a little bit.

By little bit I mean I use a 4 foot level and the bubble is touching the line.

I am leaning towards a skew tweak, Pun intended.

my 119 is a solid 80+. I will check it on the TP's you suggest. An Azimuth tweak destroys it but an elevation tweak just weakens it.

Since you gave me the ball park signal limits for my area I know what to shoot for.

Would I be better to install a seperate dish antenna? I still have the old dish 500 one that I took down. Although I would have no idea how to set it up. Or is that a zero sum effort?

And you asked what I used to aim it. I used the signal meter on the 722K and listened through an open window.

Thanks

Mark
Ok...the zip code you poated is the one I used to get your three positions (Elevation. Azimuth, Skew)
Link....http://www.dishpointer.com/
enter your complete address. Click on the dropdown menu to find Dish network 110/119/129 (1000.2 Dish)
Yes. You may install a seperate dish for the 129.
However try peaking your existing dish and report back the 129 strenghts.
It's ok to weaken the 119 a little to give yourself a bit more from the 129.
That's important because that is from where you HD services are delivered.

. . . Yes. You may install a seperate dish for the 129. ??????

From what you are saying here, I take it that you can add a second dish to a 1000.2 for 129? PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!

I had a two dish set up with no problems and when I got a 722 I was told I had to have a 1000.2, which I have had nothing but problems with 129 and the 1000.2. I was told by a Field Supervisor that I would need and be getting my two dish set up back since there are issues with the 1000.2 and 129. He has since left DISH and with their "new rules" on how or what installs they can work on, I am left to fend for myself. Which is no big deal since I have done 99% of the work on my system since I installed it in 1994. I was hoping to get a replacement 500 dish and DP44 switch for the ones they took. I already have a 500 with DPP LNB. But if this is true I could use what I have (?) and make this work. Which would stop 129 drop outs when a bird flies over.

Please save my life? Thank you!

You didn't use the separator that came with the receiver?

No i didn't. I saw that installation in the book but I read somewhere that if you can run two separate coax cables it is actually better. Is this wrong? should I use the DPP separator?

My question that I can't seem to get a clear answer on is this....

Can I use my 1000.2 dish to JUST pickup 129 and use me old dish 500 dish to pick up the rest of the sats? I would need detailed instructions on how to do it but can i? and should i?

I am temped to deskew my 1000.2 and do a direct aim at 129 and see what numbers i get.

Part of me thinks that if I hooked the Sat 1 lead to an old dish 500 somehow (like my 501 was) and hook the Sat 2 lead to a 1000.2 onto the 129 lnb it SHOULD work.

OR can i point 1000.2 at 129 and loop the dish 500 lnb into the 'lnb' connection on the 1000.2 lnb.

OR I am full of it and just need to keep tweaking around with the 1000.2??

Calling all guru's!!

thank you for your time.

Mark

From what you are saying here, I take it that you can add a second dish to a 1000.2 for 129? PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!

I had a two dish set up with no problems and when I got a 722 I was told I had to have a 1000.2, which I have had nothing but problems with 129 and the 1000.2. I was told by a Field Supervisor that I would need and be getting my two dish set up back since there are issues with the 1000.2 and 129. He has since left DISH and with their "new rules" on how or what installs they can work on, I am left to fend for myself. Which is no big deal since I have done 99% of the work on my system since I installed it in 1994. I was hoping to get a replacement 500 dish and DP44 switch for the ones they took. I already have a 500 with DPP LNB. But if this is true I could use what I have (?) and make this work. Which would stop 129 drop outs when a bird flies over.

Please save my life? Thank you!

Yes you can add another dish to the 1000.2 there is a connection on it marked lnb where you hook up the other lnb. If you look at the install guide for the 1000.2 it goes into that some. It has SOME technical detail but not enough for a newbie like myself. If you google 1000.2 installation guide you should find it.
I saw it on some site called satelliteone.com

I think this weekend I am going to mount my old dp500 and try different configs.

Yes you can add another dish to the 1000.2 there is a connection on it marked lnb where you hook up the other lnb. If you look at the install guide for the 1000.2 it goes into that some. It has SOME technical detail but not enough for a newbie like myself. If you google 1000.2 installation guide you should find it.
I saw it on some site called satelliteone.com

I think this weekend I am going to mount my old dp500 and try different configs.
Thank for the info. I have read, seen and imagine that shooting for 110/119 with the 1000.2 and using the 500 for 129, like I originally had with two 500's that gave me zero problems, would be the best way to do this. And since the LNB on the 1000.2 is made, since reading this thread and looking deeper into this, to take a fourth feed. All you have to do is hook up the 300/500 aimed at 129 to the LNB In on the 1000.2 and block off the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 with foil.

With just a few adjustments and a 3' length of cable, I should be good to go. All I have to do is re-aim the 500 at 129 and hook up our 501 to the 1000.2, instead of the 500 and that's it. Since the 1000.2 is great with 110/119. Anyone know of a quick link to the numbers for a singe sighting to 129? Can that be done through the box?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Will let you know how it works out.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC00007_2_2.jpg
    DSC00007_2_2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
But but but

Thank for the info. I have read, seen and imagine that shooting for 110/119 with the 1000.2 and using the 500 for 129, like I originally had with two 500's that gave me zero problems, would be the best way to do this. And since the LNB on the 1000.2 is made, since reading this thread and looking deeper into this, to take a fourth feed. All you have to do is hook up the 300/500 aimed at 129 to the LNB In on the 1000.2 and block off the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 with foil.

With just a few adjustments and a 3' length of cable, I should be good to go. All I have to do is re-aim the 500 at 129 and hook up our 501 to the 1000.2, instead of the 500 and that's it. Since the 1000.2 is great with 110/119. Anyone know of a quick link to the numbers for a singe sighting to 129? Can that be done through the box?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Will let you know how it works out.

Thank you.

Couple of things.
you say point the 500 at 129. I take it the LNBs are not Satellite specific?

So when it says in the diagram "This is the 129 LNB" that lnb picks up 129 because of where it sits in relation to the dish and the way the dish is pointed?

I didn't think a 500 could pick up 129 no matter which way it was pointed. That's why I figured on using the 1000.2 to pick up the 129 by aiming it solely at 129 and use the 500 looped into the 1000.2 for the others.

Also you mentioned a 501. doesn't the 1000.2 need a certain type of receiver to 'power' up the lnb's. I read in the manual that you have to have a newer receiver always powered up so that the legacy receivers would work.

This is all so convoluted. I love it!

Later
Mark

Couple of things.
you say point the 500 at 129. I take it the LNBs are not Satellite specific?

So when it says in the diagram "This is the 129 LNB" that lnb picks up 129 because of where it sits in relation to the dish and the way the dish is pointed?

I didn't think a 500 could pick up 129 no matter which way it was pointed. That's why I figured on using the 1000.2 to pick up the 129 by aiming it solely at 129 and use the 500 looped into the 1000.2 for the others.

Also you mentioned a 501. doesn't the 1000.2 need a certain type of receiver to 'power' up the lnb's. I read in the manual that you have to have a newer receiver always powered up so that the legacy receivers would work.

This is all so convoluted. I love it!

Later
Mark
Convoluted is putting it mildly. I had two 500's, one pointed at 110/119 and the other at 129 (for my locals) with a DP44 switch. That was until DISH came and installed, as they have to do the first install on a particular receiver, my 722 and said I had to have the 1000.2 dish and took the 500 that was on the mount the 1000.2 is now and my DP44 switch since I would not be needing it. Since you can hook up 3 receivers, including legacy gear, to the 1000.2. Great I thought, one dish, newer technology, yada, yada . . . . Well, I have had nothing but problems with the 1000.2 since. It is always and quickly dropping 129 no matter how many times they come out to re-aim it. And thus how a Field Supervisor got involved. Unfortunately, this guy was on our side and got canned. So I talked to one of my engineer buddies a Hughes/Ratheon Aerospace, that I use to work with in the Dino Days, and he said that he knew of the 1000.2 and that it was "under" designed. I guess that a couple of mm that it would take to perfect the dish was too much of an expense for DISH. Well I think that cleaning up the mess will cost more. Poor planning on DISH's part. That is why in all the threads it is said to zero in 110/119 and then nudge it over to 129 and mediate the three. If it were all that good all three would come in great with no special tweaking. Anyway, I had a Field Supervisor come over and confirmed that the 1000.2 is not all that and that they are moving those with problems back to the two dish set up. Which I had and kinda still have. Of which he was going to get me all new gear and make sure this time it was right. That is until he decided that it was too hard to make the customer happy with DISH rules and left the company. I brought him here and he tried that address some long standing issues floating around here and DISH DISH reprimanded him. So he left. There goes another good soldier in the fight. So in brief travels I am seeing that the design of the 1000.2 LNB allows for a "wing dish" that can be aimed at 129 as long as you cover the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 not to have two 129 inputs. I had a 501 hooked up to the 500 with the antenna piggybacking and a 722 & 625 to the 1000.2. I can hook all 3 up to the 1000.2 and use the 500 to get 129 better than the 1000.2 struggling to do it.

My only problem is that I have been leisurely about it and now that Spring is here I have no excuse not to get it done. That means re-anchoring the 1000.2 since they are very hard on the mounts. Plus I noticed that all the nuts and bolts on the 1000.2 mount are rusting. The 500 and Antenna look new and have been up for about 16 years. Guess DISH is getting their wares at the penny store now. I like, want and will put the extra effort into a nice clean install. But now with DISH's new "we can't work on your roof" rules, of which OSHA is coming back out, the first time was a "flyby", to review my site to see if DISH is "correct" in their "newly" found regs. Of which the last OSHA rep said they have been getting many complaints of DISH using them as an excuse. DISH is going to get spanked. Anyway, now it's easier to do it yourself and only use DISH when you have to. Even though I pay the $6 warranty fee. UNLESS, a retailer can and will honor the Protection Plan? I'd gladly call them instead now. At least the boxes and remotes get dealt with easily. The dishes, that's another subject and why I am here verifying info.

I moved from a Dish500 for 110/119 and Dish 300 for 129 to a Dish1000.2 and signals were about the same. Maybe a couple of points lower but nothing drastic...I was actually impressed with the 1000.2

I believe I stated this in the other thread, but your set up angles for the 1000.2 in eastern OH is 125* for the Skew, and 30* on the Elevation. The .2 works quite well around here typically pulling in 70-75 on the 129* (I use Tr 21). In the other thread you mentioned you're getting a signal on the 129* but it's very low so there fore you're close. What you want to do is loosen all the skew bolts, and grasp the saddle in a manner that you're not pinching the top, or bottom closed farther then the other (it doesn't have to be perfect just good and close). Set the skew to 125*. I peak them in on the 119*, and 90% of the time the 110* &129* will be perfect. Another little trick is once I have the Azimuth set run your finger around the rim of the dish pressing hard enough to flex it a little. Also just loosening one El bolt at a time will allow the polar plate to flex just right to get it just right. Unless you have a LOS issue there should be no reason you couldn't get it peaked in on your own. You already stated your mast was close to perfectly plum. That should be good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)