When I peaked my dish the first time I used an analog meter. I doesn't really care about the transponder.
With the meter I have the ability to power it from the receiver and select a satellite and transponder but when
I changed over to the new LNBF and satellites I just connected the meter and peaked it that way. The
meter will power the LNBF for a short time. On the LNBF Port 1 is for 72 deg and port 2 is for 61.5 deg.

I played around with a new meter I had bought but it was too hard to see in the direct sunlight.
This meter I had set up default satellites and transponders. In default setting I set it up for 2
transponders on each satellite. On 72 I picked 1 vertically polarized and 1 horizontally polarized
transponder. On 61.5 I picked 2 transponder that were for my area, Philadelphia, and again 1
vertically and horizontally polarized. I''l have to look at the meter when I get home from work
tonight for the default settings I used for 61.5 and 72 satellites.

I used the new meter on my second dish on my tower. It really helped when I discovered my
problem and let me peak it with both signal strength and signal quality, S/n+n ratio.

My old analog signal meter is a Channel Master CM 1008 IFD Dual Signal Meter.
My new signal meter is a First strike FS1 Pro. The only thing I don't like about this one
is that it won't identify the satellite I am looking at. I also have a SATLOOKLITE meter
but I find it too clunky to use. I does identify the satellites but the internal data base is older
and is hard to update.

My First Strike FS1 Pro is setup as follows:
61.5 TP 10 L, TP 23 R

72 TP 1 R, TP 26 L

It's cloudy with light rain and I just checked the signal strengths:
61.5 - 51, 72 - 57

Reactions: Troch77
I'm waiting on one more part to fit the EA 2 lnb on the 1.4k feed arm.
Should be April 2 or 3rd I should be done.

It's going to look totally Factory.
No welds, No visible extentions.

I'll test all 3 again
The 1.2k EA 2
I'll post TP 8 on 61.5
TP 14 72.5.
Which is what's recommend in my Zip code to be peaked.

Then I'll show you The 1.5k EA2.

If anyone wants a different TP tested I will , but I'm not testing every one as it will take a long time lol.

Obviously this just an experiment and a Hobby, but maybe helpful to other EA enthusiasts who may need a just a Boost in Signal.

Again the claim is the EA2 Lnb was designed to provide a better usable signal vs the 1.4k LNB.
We will see.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: ralfyguy
Okay , I did some of the Conversion, and the EA2 LNB is not good with the 1000.5.

It has a very narrow margin were it's peaked on both satellites. It's much stronger, but definitely unreliable. The slightest movement causes the signal to drop on either the 72 or 61 depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I didn't try the longer lnb arm yet, but I have feeling that will help.
That will be my next test with it.

But unfortunately I decided to upgrade to a Hopper 3 so I'll have no choice but to use the standard 1000.2 EA.

But in the mean time, I have a few more test.
But I did obtain a Peak signal on TP 8 on the 61.5 of 68, which was way above the and 72 on TP 3.
Which was way improved.
It's too bad the 72 signal is low when the 61 is peaked.
And the average is poor.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I talked to ac sales rep for a company that makes dishes.

he said the larger the dish does get better signal strength, but makes aiming much harder, and minor satellite drift a big issue

The main issue with mounting a multI-LNBF on a different reflector is that the Focal Distance many be different for another dish model and this shifts the reflected signal's convergence points. The physical spacing between the feedhorns is dependent on the dish FD. If the signal is optimized on one satellite into the first feedhorn, the other satellite signal may be focused away from the second feedhorn. If the distance is close, a slight panning of the dish will cause signals to drop on one satellite and peak on the other.

Also consider that a LNBF scalar shape is designed to illuminate a specific shaped reflector. Mounting this LNBF on a different shaped reflector may result in an over or under illumination of the reflector. Under illuminate and the LNBF only sees a smaller area of the reflector surface and it will perform as a smaller dish. Over illuminate and the LNBF "sees" past the reflector edges and may pick-up noise and reduce signal quality readings.

The main issue with mounting a multI-LNBF on a different reflector is that the Focal Distance many be different for another dish model and this shifts the reflected signal's convergence points. The physical spacing between the feedhorns is dependent on the dish FD. If the signal is optimized on one satellite into the first feedhorn, the other satellite signal may be focused away from the second feedhorn. If the distance is close, a slight panning of the dish will cause signals to drop on one satellite and peak on the other.

Also consider that a LNBF scalar shape is designed to illuminate a specific shaped reflector. Mounting this LNBF on a different shaped reflector may result in an over or under illumination of the reflector. Under illuminate and the LNBF only sees a smaller area of the reflector surface and it will perform as a smaller dish. Over illuminate and the LNBF "sees" past the reflector edges and may pick-up noise and reduce Tate signal quality readings.
That makes total sense.
The design of the LNB IMO would also have to change slightly.

I would have to say, if you had two 30 inch round dishes with a single lnb on each with a DPP44 you would have an amazing signal on EA.

Because the peaks obtained by my tests, proved the bigger reflector dramatically improved signal strength.
Problem is, the LNB design. But again I didn't try to lengthen, or shorten the lnb arm yet.
This may have an impact.

So far the 1000.5 with the 1.4k lnb and feed arm has provided the best signal strength average.

Currently I have been using the 1000.4 dish with EA2 lnb, and it's been stable, with decent numbers, but it has a low tolerance of movement.

If anyone has dialed in a Directv Slimline you would know exactly what I mean.

The only way to really peak it is to dither it.
And it's never fully peaked on either satellite as it could be.
Very interesting finds I'm seeing.

I'm also wondering if the raised bolts on the 1.4 dish reflector are messing with the focal point on the 72 using EA2.
I put a rubber sticker over that bolt and I lost the signal on the 72.

I wonder if it was a flush mount bolt it would bring that 72 number closer in line on average and better stability using the 1.4k dish .

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Agreed, a single LNBF mounted on a reflector would be simpler and remove the convergence issues with properly positioning multiple LNBFs.

The raised bolt mounting positions would have negligible effect. The reflector surface ratio to bolt head size is great. Bolt position that changed the angle of the reflector would be more likely and affect the elevation scale reading, but it could also result in the LNBF arm positioning the feedhorn at an incorrect height for the replacement reflector. I don't have these dishes to compare, but the offset angle may be different on the two reflector designs.

Changing the length of the LNBF support arm to match the arm length used with the replacement reflector (placing the face of the feedhorn at the distance and angle) might provide a better convergence if the FD ratio of the two dishes is the same. Changing the Focal Length may result in the signals correctly converging on multiple feedhorns, but if the FD ratio is different changing the focal length will reduce the overall performance.

Good luck on your project. Always fun to Frankenstein a project (especially if it results in signal gains)!

Agreed, a single LNBF mounted on a reflector would be simpler and remove the convergence issues with properly positioning multiple LNBFs.

The raised bolt mounting positions likely would only affect the elevation scale reading, but it could also result in the LNBF arm positioning the feedhorn at an incorrect height for the replacement reflector. I don't have these dishes to compare, but the offset angle may be different on the two reflector designs.

Changing the length of the LNBF support arm to match the arm length used with the replacement reflector (placing the face of the feedhorn at the distance and angle) might provide a better convergence if the FD ratio of the two dishes is the same. Changing the Focal Length may result in the signals correctly converging on multiple feedhorns, but if the FD ratio is different changing the focal length will reduce the overall performance.

Good luck on your project. Always fun to Frankenstein a project (especially if it results in signal gains)!
Well unfortunately my time will be short for future tests, I have a HOPPER 3 install for Sunday, so I'll be forced into a hybrid and EA2 setup.

But I'm still going to try out a few more tests.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Okay , I did some of the Conversion, and the EA2 LNB is not good with the 1000.5.

It has a very narrow margin were it's peaked on both satellites. It's much stronger, but definitely unreliable. The slightest movement causes the signal to drop on either the 72 or 61 depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I didn't try the longer lnb arm yet, but I have feeling that will help.
That will be my next test with it.

But unfortunately I decided to upgrade to a Hopper 3 so I'll have no choice but to use the standard 1000.2 EA.

But in the mean time, I have a few more test.
But I did obtain a Peak signal on TP 8 on the 61.5 of 68, which was way above the and 72 on TP 3.
Which was way improved.
It's too bad the 72 signal is low when the 61 is peaked.
And the average is poor.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I just checked SS on my 1000.2 WA with Dish 500 single wing dish @ 61.5 with overcast sky. TP 8 is at 54 and TP 3 is at 70. This is in SE Oklahoma.

Okay I was bored and decided to take my 2nd 1000+ International dish Reflector and 1000.4 EA and make the 1000.5

Of course the only parts from the 1.4k I could use was the Mast , LNB, LNB Feed arm.

I had to use the Skew and Elevation mount from the 1000+

Now I could have used the LNB feed arm from the 1K plus dish which was also about 2 inches longer, but it would need some small mods in order to use the Plastic LNB holder on the feed arm.
And a Notch cut in it for the wires to the LNB.
But saving that for the future test.

But the result was another 4-7 point again across the 61.5 another 3-5 across the board on the 72.

So my next test will be to see if those numbers will increase or decrease with the longer feed arm .
But here are a few pics.
Sorry it was dark when I finished.

f6e39cd2ea21a379cc815b9168c0de04.jpg

372a29b155bb3229199cd6c9bf3e97ef.jpg

65b4be0d6ea5f96e4e2804939cb6c258.jpg

Rain Fade should be greatly reduced, soon I'll try with a 1000.2 EA LNB and see what results it yields.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Forgive me for being late to the party here, I haven't yet read through all four pages to see if anybody already covered this, but this has been done before, for areas that the 1000.4 dish was too small for adequate reception, so they replaced the reflector with the 500+/1000+ reflector dish. You still used the the feed arm & the LNBF yoke PLUS (stop me if you already heard this before) the 1000.4 backing structure. All of this together is known as the Eastern Arc Repoint Kit(if you didn't already know it). Now, again if you haven't already heard this, the 1000.4 backing structure does not align with all four holes on the 1000+ reflector, but you need it to finely tune in the coordinates for the Eastern Arc satellites, something the 1000+ backing structure will not allow you to do.
Now if you already know this or was told it(I didn't have the patience to completely read through this thread before posting), then disregard this post.

Forgive me for being late to the party here, I haven't yet read through all four pages to see if anybody already covered this, but this has been done before, for areas that the 1000.4 dish was too small for adequate reception, so they replaced the reflector with the 500+/1000+ reflector dish. You still used the the feed arm & the LNBF yoke PLUS (stop me if you already heard this before) the 1000.4 backing structure. All of this together is known as the Eastern Arc Repoint Kit(if you didn't already know it). Now, again if you haven't already heard this, the 1000.4 backing structure does not align with all four holes on the 1000+ reflector, but you need it to finely tune in the coordinates for the Eastern Arc satellites, something the 1000+ backing structure will not allow you to do.
Now if you already know this or was told it(I didn't have the patience to completely read through this thread before posting), then disregard this post.
The the elevation and Skew mounts are Identical on the 1.4k and 1000+
The only part you have to switch it is the reflector mount and of course you have to switch the LNB arm if you choose to use the 1.4k arm.
It's a simple swap, that doesn't even require you to do a repoint on the dish.
Just a small dither.
They both have the micro adjustment bolt.
The only one that doesn't is the 1000.2 dish

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I just checked SS on my 1000.2 WA with Dish 500 single wing dish @ 61.5 with overcast sky. TP 8 is at 54 and TP 3 is at 70. This is in SE Oklahoma.
That's good, now using the 1000.2 as a wing dish does provide an excellent signal.
But you can't all out peak the 61.5 on the EA2, because then the 72, suffers, and vise versa.
That's why I started doing this process.
The best I could get TP 8 on the EA2 1.2k was 42.
Currently with this new setup, I'm in the 50s.
TP 3 is also 70 at my house.
But I had it Higher when I fully peaked the 1000.5 with EA2 lnb.it was over 80.
But the 72 was 25.
And then the best I could get between them was actually much lower average than the 1.4k lnb.
And any slight movement would drop the signal.
It was too unstable.

So in the end, I stayed with the 1.5k dish and 1.4k LNB.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: ralfyguy
Excellent findings. I just thought if I share the numbers from 61.5 using a Dish 500 with single LNBF it could serve as a reference for your investigation. I really like the things you tried.

I'm gonna take a pic of my antenna farm tomorrow and show you. It is a rather unusual setup and I have not seen anybody else do that yet.
I'm confident you'd like it. LOL

Definitely take some pictures.
I still have 2 test to do yet.
I'm going to try the EA2 lnb, on the 1.5k dish, but this time I'm going try the longer LNB arm.

And I'm also going to try the longer LNB arm with the 1.4k lnb.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The the elevation and Skew mounts are Identical on the 1.4k and 1000+
The only part you have to switch it is the reflector mount and of course you have to switch the LNB arm if you choose to use the 1.4k arm.
It's a simple swap, that doesn't even require you to do a repoint on the dish.
Just a small dither.
They both have the micro adjustment bolt.
The only one that doesn't is the 1000.2 dish

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
They made it sound like the 1000.4 elevation & skew mount was more exact for tuning the dish onto the EA satellites. Also, the 1000.4 elevation & skew mount DID NOT line up with the upper two holes of the 1000+ reflector. I guess that that meant they had to drill 2 new holes to attach the mount to the reflector. This was all reported before 2012 as to how they were doing it.

They made it sound like the 1000.4 elevation & skew mount was more exact for tuning the dish onto the EA satellites. Also, the 1000.4 elevation & skew mount DID NOT line up with the upper two holes of the 1000+ reflector. I guess that that meant they had to drill 2 new holes to attach the mount to the reflector. This was all reported before 2012 as to how they were doing it.
That very well could be, but now it's a simple swap, I'll post some pictures of it, and you can see all that no drilling is required.
You just swap the reflector mount portion.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)