This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

103W on a fixed dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
All this discussion of the changes coming on this satellite reminded me I have a fixed dish on that satellite I never use.

I get a good quality signal on it now.

I'll have to reset the skew after the sat is changed. When I first moved here and started in FTA, I thought those foothills behind me would block all my signal. Little did I know I'm looking right over them with all my dishes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Those hills look too far to interfere w/ your reception. My 39" points towards my neighbours 2storey home 30ft away and reception is fine.

Cheers, K

My 'sidewinder' 1.2 aimed at 30w looks like its aimed at the neighbors kitchen window. They don't seem paranoid.
Sight along the lower lnb support arm to see closer to where it is really looking.

And now I have two C band dishes set around 44deg. Elev. and if I ever get an opportunity to pick up a 10ft+ C Band I'll set it even closer to those hills. My wife said no more dishes against the house...

The greatest difficulties I've had with dishes are related to the motor and getting it to either track accurately or return precisely to where it should go. I am envious of the simplicity of fixed dishes. But each time I install a dish, I would need about 200 feet of cable, although fixed might allow me to peak through the trees with much shorter cables. Isn't it amazing how what wives say probably would make sense to 98% of people if they were polled on the street?

T-Runner,
What size dish are you using for 103?
I tried a fixed 36" dish with an Avenger PLL321S-2 and only get marginal reception of some of the NBC TPs, 11840 for example. The 1m (39") motorized works fine though (using same LNBF). Just curious maybe the 36" dish I am using isn't working properly.
C.

It's a Channel Master mold No. 90M-1. That dish has a Universal Invacom SNF-031.

I think it's 36"x39". But I'm using a Superbuddy satellite meter to not just lock the dishes on whatever satellite I set up, but fine tune them to squeeze out the highest Quality I can. The meter does not do DVB-S2, so I lock on whatever I can get and them find the weakest transponder to retune.

..... Isn't it amazing how what wives say probably would make sense to 98% of people if they were polled on the street?

Yes. I can see every time I try to have a conversation about why I have so many dishes with one of those 98%, that when the eyes glaze over, they do not understand...

There is a price to pay for dish fever, but I am hooked and currently looking for a 10ft mesh, so I can give away one of the 7.5ft.....;>)

Status
Please reply by conversation.