1080i locals look much better

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
I've noticed significant improvement in our local 1080i NBC and CBS signals carried via Dish Network. Where previously they looked choppy and very soft, the frame-dropping issues appear to have been solved. They look as good as the 720p locals now, IMHO, which is to say very good, but just a tad softer than their OTA counterparts.

Kudos to Dish for responding to our cries.

I sure hope that they have learned to fix the 1080i channels. I haven't had time to check my Cbs or the STarz hd channel yet since I am watching a movie . I will check mine later and see what it looks like. Did you check to see if Starz hd looks better?

I've noticed motion and lipsync improvement on the Seattle hd locals. And I think Starzhd looks better too. Thought about starting a thread along those lines when I spotted this one. Glad others seem to think the same. Maybe I'm not crazy afterall.

Watched a bit of Saturday Night Live on KNTV(NBC) SF last night and it looked very good, the best KNTV has ever looked, it was just slightly softer than the Comcast feed, but a definite improvement as there was no smearing and the audio was in sync. Hopefully it will stay this way.

As older Dish customers know ...Dish is usually first but it takes some time to get all the bugs worked out. I have a 622 also and really not many problems.

Watched some of the Wimbledon stuff on KNTV(NBC) this morning and the same smearing faces problem was back, not as bad as I've seen it, but still there nevertheless. It seems as if it varies by content, maybe something in the way the original material is created. If they can get it as good as it was last night with SNL, I could live with that, but being inconsistent is not a good thing.

Well said, Bruno. I hope Dish is tweaking things, rather than me just imagining things... ;)

Unfortunately, the Women's U.S. Open on NBC/KNTV looked bad today. Jittery, jumpy and soft. S.O.S...

Well I looked at both the Starzhd channel and my local Dish hd Cbs in Houston and they still look like CRAP to me. The panning shots give me a headache. Now if I was into MTV special effects I wouldn't mind , but this is ridiculous. I would rather watch the sd version of Starz then the hd version due to these motion artifacts. I am also very happy that I now get the New York CBS HD channel in MPEG2 from Dish . It looks great and as good as the ota verison of the Houston CBS station. AT least I will have a Cbs hd station with guide information so I can use name based recording and no more manual timers unless I want to.

Mpeg4 is still not ready for primetime.

Good news to report on the Houston HD Cbs station Khou channel 11. I am currently watching it at 8:00pm central time and comparing it to the Hd Cbs station in New York on channel 9483 , and I can finally report that Dish got it right . It looks as good as the ota version and the New York station in hd too. I can see no difference in quality in panning shots or in hd sharpness. News video now looks like true live video again instead of film. I sent an email to the dishquality folks and told them of my JOY at seeing this improvement. It looks like all the emails to the dishquality folks paid off on this station. Now if they could apply these same improvements to the Starz hd station I would be estatic.

It looks like all the emails did some good after all. Send all emails on picture/audio quality to :

dishquality@echostar.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts