Signal strength on the 622

hammertime

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
I talked with DishNetwork about my signal on HD chanells breaking up and pixeling out and was told there is a problem with the software in the 622's. They are working on the issue and will be d/l the fix in time. Any more information on this problem

I don't think you got a good answer, but with the limited information provided I can't be more specific. I get all the non-premium HD channels E* offers to my market (no HD LiLs yet) and I don't have that problem (breaking-up/pixelation) except in a very heavy downpour. There is some occasional "blockiness" in some pictures in fast transition, but not enough that I would complain about it.

I'm getting most (all?) of my HD content from the 61.5 sat. with a wing dish. If you are pointed to 129 that might be your problem. I think you should have your dish(es) repointed to optimize the signal strengh as a first step. The 622 has some issues that a SW d/l might fix, but I haven't seen what you describe on anyone's list.

Are you referring to problems with E*'s MPEG-4 encoders? That is fairly well reported particularly wrt HD LiLs and they are supposedly working on SW fixes for those problems...

My Sat. is pointed at Sat. 129. I live in Louisville, Ky. My signal strength on my HD chanells vary from 60 - 65. I was thinking about getting another Sat installed and pointed toward 61.5.

Most of my problems Pixing out comes from the Rave chanell while watching concerts. On one chanell the people kept stoping and going. Very frustrating to watch, especially when we are paying big bucks for HD.

Classic story! If you're not getting HD LiLs from the 129 slot then you have nothing to lose pointing to 61.5 for all your national HD content. I've been receiving 61.5 since my first HD install in early Dec. I was lucky that the installer could reuse my old D300 with a new DP LNBF. I was really lucky that where it is mounted on the same board as the new D500 it just manages to get a peak through 2 very large trees. I was worried I would have problems when the leaves appeared, but so far no issues. My reception from 61.5 is rock solid except as I mentioned during severe rain.

Others here have opted to add a wing for 61.5 and optimize their D1000 for 110/119. I still think you should have someone try to "retune" your dish first then add/repoint to 61.5 if that doesn't work...

hammertime said:
My Sat. is pointed at Sat. 129. I live in Louisville, Ky. My signal strength on my HD chanells vary from 60 - 65. I was thinking about getting another Sat installed and pointed toward 61.5.

Do it!

Please excuse me for going OT.

Since my last visit, it appears that all HD except for LILs are available on 61.5. Is that correct???

I have the former Voom satellite dish with an upgraded (larger) reflector gizmo. Any chance that'll work if I go with the 622??

How hard would it be for me to check the adjustment of my sat. Ten years ago I installed my dish and adjusted it with my TV. Can someone tell me how to do it or how to find out how? I know it would be easier to call a tec but the last time he came out he said everything looked ok. He used some sort of directional gaget. Any help would appreciated.

hammertime said:
What I mean is there a way I can adjust the dish manually myself to get a better signal?

You could if you would buy yourself a satellite finder meter from either source : www.dishstore.net or www.dishdepot.com .

I simply untighten the bolts and you can adjust the elevation or the horizontal positon of your sat dish by moving it both righ or left, till you get a good signal strength on your sat meter. I used a cheap sat meter for like 29.99 I got from one of the online sites above and I can't remember now which one. I hooked the rg6 coax to the lnb and ran it to the meter on top and hooked the coax to the receiver and hooked it to the back of the meter and set the knob to 5. I got a great strength of 10 on the sat meter ( possible 1-10) when I adjusted my dish 500 for 61.5.I had to adjust the elevation to 36 , though the receiver showed an elevation of 40 for my area. I got a great strength of 95 to 111 on most of my transponders. I used it for my dish 500 and get in the 100s on most all transponders on 110/119 sats.

I recommend a good sat meter if you like to tinker and adjust your dishes. It saves on having the "proffesional installers" coming and doing it when you can do it yourself. I have done adjustments and installs for my mom and dad and myself and others, simply using my sat meter and using the receivers elevation and skew etc that they show you on the point dish screen.

JimP said:
Since my last visit, it appears that all HD except for LILs are available on 61.5. Is that correct?
No. The rest is on 110 which you get with a Dish 500. All the national HD on 61.5 is also on 129 except for Demo and CBS-NY if you qualify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)