1080i or 720p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a 1080p Samsung DLP, just curious for the 720p stations is it better to leave Native on and watch 720p or Native off and watch it on 1080i?

IHMO, just compare what the picture looks like on the various settings and then just use that. Either the DirecTV receiver or your Samsung will have to upconvert the 720p to 1080p so experiment and see which one does a better job of it.

I have a 1080p Samsung DLP, just curious for the 720p stations is it better to leave Native on and watch 720p or Native off and watch it on 1080i?

I too have the Samsung 1080 DLP. I have the 50" non LED model. I personally have the HR20-700 hooked up via HDMI and leave the DVR set to 1080i all the time. The picture looks good.

My Bluray looks great. :D

Actually, wouldn't the receiver upconvert it to 1080i which would then be upconverted to 1080p by the television? If so, better to leave the receiver in native and let the TV do all the work.

Actually, wouldn't the receiver upconvert it to 1080i which would then be upconverted to 1080p by the television? If so, better to leave the receiver in native and let the TV do all the work.

All depends on which box does the better job on the upconverting, that's why you just need to play around and see what looks best to you.

i keep it 1080i....if u keep both 720p & 1080i set it takes longer to change channels when channel surfing as opposed to just having the 1080i set.

Thanks for your responses after doing some testing I decided to leave it on 1080i makes the picture look better.

I too have the Samsung 1080 DLP. I have the 50" non LED model. I personally have the HR20-700 hooked up via HDMI and leave the DVR set to 1080i all the time. The picture looks good.

My Bluray looks great. :D
Just wondering what picture option have you used for the Blue Ray? Dynamic, Normal or Movie. I set mine at Movie mode and the Color gamut to wide with color temperature at Cool 2. I get the best pq with that setting IMO

Just wondering what picture option have you used for the Blue Ray? Dynamic, Normal or Movie. I set mine at Movie mode and the Color gamut to wide with color temperature at Cool 2. I get the best pq with that setting IMO

I also have a 1080p dlp 50inch from samsung. for bluray i use the custom instead of dynamic, movie or normal. i do use the DNIE. makes a big difference. for the satellite ,bluray ,xbox360 i use the custom section. each one reacts different so one set of settings isn't a good idea for everything. it took me a couple of weeks of tweaking here and there but it's worth it. I have the satellite set to 1080i with he hdmi input of course. to me leaving it at 1080i is the best setting for HD and SD.
the color temperature is set to normal. i too used to have it on cool but it makes some whites a little to bluish for my taste. i wish i had your led system. i hate having to change the lamp on this thing almost every year. besides that i love my samsung

My Mode is Standard, Color Tone is Cool1, and Color Gamut is Normal. I haven't had to change my bulb yet. I do however have the 4 year protection plan on the TV from Circuit City which includes bulb replacements. I got my tv about a year ago.

I have read somewhere that simply changing the mode from Dynamic to Standard increases the bulb life 50%.

My Mode is Standard, Color Tone is Cool1, and Color Gamut is Normal. I haven't had to change my bulb yet. I do however have the 4 year protection plan on the TV from Circuit City which includes bulb replacements. I got my tv about a year ago.

I have read somewhere that simply changing the mode from Dynamic to Standard increases the bulb life 50%.

i have the exact same plan with circuitcity. i already once changed my bulb. i called to get a second repalcement and guess what? they only cover one lamp for the 4 years! that's not what they said when selling the protection plan?! total bs! they wanted to sell me one for$150. i hung up. they have these bulbs on ebay sometimes as low as $50. keep this in mind before you call to replace it. if you want call to have it shipped but don't hook it up till your old one goes out.

i have the exact same plan with circuitcity. i already once changed my bulb. i called to get a second repalcement and guess what? they only cover one lamp for the 4 years! that's not what they said when selling the protection plan?! total bs! they wanted to sell me one for$150. i hung up. they have these bulbs on ebay sometimes as low as $50. keep this in mind before you call to replace it. if you want call to have it shipped but don't hook it up till your old one goes out.

Well do, thanks for the tip. I have a spare on hand already but no housing for it. Just the bulb. I guess it is easy though to use the housing that the current bulb is in when it dies but, we'll see when it actually happens. In the past Circuit City has always been good but, lately their service has been crap. I shop more at Best Buy now.

yes it's easy. just wear clean disposable gloves to change the bulb;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts