1080p changed to 1080i

Club Chapin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
After reading here about 1080p, I tried this today on my 622.

The screen went black. I changed channels; could see the osd and hear channel audio, but no picture on any channel.

Went back to 501 and the movie (Iron Man) was working and my display said 1080p. Looked great.

I then changed the channel, and had 1080i picture on the other channels. Changed back to 501 and the picture stayed 1080i, did not revert to 1080p.

I cannot find a way to change back to 1080p. Is there something I am missing?

I've searched here and cannot find anything about this.

Sorry if it has been discussed or answered elsewhere. I could not find it.

Thanks, Pete

1080p is only for select PPV movies, not for everything that's broadcast in 1080i. There's probably no way to watch the rest of the movie in 1080p without ordering it again.

Thanks. I understand that 1080p is only for select movies. However, it is ridiculous that you cannot view your movie in 1080p at anytime during the rental period. They should at least state this upfront.

Also, I did eventually watch it in 1080i. Playback was terrible. There were a lot of audio and video glitches and interuptions. Perhaps these were caused by the down-rezzing to 1080i?

I have two 2007 year model Sony Bravia's. The Dish Network software which needs to sense if you have 1080p compliant equipment does not recognise my sets. Therefore I am not able to download and view 1080p Dish movies on my 1080p sets.
Kinda funny huh? Like they didn't test Sony's?
Mike

1080p is only for select PPV movies, not for everything that's broadcast in 1080i. There's probably no way to watch the rest of the movie in 1080p without ordering it again.

Thanks. It would be nice if they tell you that if you switch away, 1080p is done. I played with it in the afternoon, then in the evening went to watch the film and 1080p would not work.

Seems like they are still working out the kinks at our expense.

I have two 2007 year model Sony Bravia's. The Dish Network software which needs to sense if you have 1080p compliant equipment does not recognise my sets. Therefore I am not able to download and view 1080p Dish movies on my 1080p sets.
Kinda funny huh? Like they didn't test Sony's?
Mike
Does your Sony only do 1080p at 60Hz, or does it also do 1080p at 24Hz? If only at 60Hz, that's why -because they haven't made the 1080p available on Dish at 60Hz.

That's the boat I'm in and my HDTV is only a few months old. Oh well. Mine's a Sharp Aquos.

Thanks. I understand that 1080p is only for select movies. However, it is ridiculous that you cannot view your movie in 1080p at anytime during the rental period. They should at least state this upfront.

Also, I did eventually watch it in 1080i. Playback was terrible. There were a lot of audio and video glitches and interuptions. Perhaps these were caused by the down-rezzing to 1080i?

1080p to 1080i is not exactly down-rezzing but rather different methods of displaying the same exact content. I think those who remember back when progressive scan used to be called non-interlaced would understand this. 1080p has absolutely no additional pixels or anything else than does 1080i. The claim is that since 1080p displays all the lines of resolution sequentially rather than being displayed in an interlaced manner (half the lines of resolution are displayed, eg: lines 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. then the rest eg: 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) the picture would look smoother and steadier. I'm not sure most people could tell the difference even with two TV's side by side, but I could be wrong.

oh, not again ... 1080p and 1080i are different and provide different stream - practically doubled in time ( omitting MPEG-4/H.264/VC-1 compression details); that's why you can't see broadcasting 1080p channels, only VOD or HD/BR disks.

oh, not again ... 1080p and 1080i are different and provide different stream - practically doubled in time ( omitting MPEG-4/H.264/VC-1 compression details); that's why you can't see broadcasting 1080p channels, only VOD or HD/BR disks.

Yes, they are different, but in regard to movies and Blu-Ray where the master is 24fps, there would be no difference between 1080i and 1080p when viewing on a 60hz TV.

1080p24, which is what Blu-Ray and Dish's 1080p VOD are, is only beneficial to those with displays with refresh rates that are a multiple of 24hz (ie 120hz). For everyone with a 60hz TV (most TVs 1+ years old) you can watch the VOD at 1080i (ie failed the Dish 1080p test) and get the best you could ever expect on your display. Of course this does assume the electronics in the display are doing the de-interlacing correctly.

one question i have dish and i dont have the channel 501 , my TV is a SAMSUNG 1080p with 120mhz is new i see the setings on my VIP622 and only is 1080i ????

one question i have dish and i dont have the channel 501 , my TV is a SAMSUNG 1080p with 120mhz is new i see the setings on my VIP622 and only is 1080i ????

Can't say why you don't have 501, but no one had a 1080p setting as there isn't one. If you rent a 1080p movie it run a test to see if your TV accepts 1080p24 and if it is it will switch to that output while the movie is playing. It will then go back to 1080i/720p after the movie.

If you don't have channel 501, then all you get is 1080i. Only certain 501 movies are put out at 1080p and then you need 24Hz capability, not just 120Hz.

You'kll have to wait for 501 on your receiver and then find a movie that is broadcast at 1080p - for instance "Iron Man" right now. Then you can do a test and see if your HDTV can play it at 1080p 24Hz.

We discussed conditions what could prevent download 1080p movies into your DVR - try to find the thread by keywords "IAL".

As usual for those who answering to the question - HDCP will be first and major check; that's by DRM requirement; second - support 1080p24.

Getting back to the original question of the 622 not supporting PPV at 1080P. Be sure the TV can actually accept 1080p inputs. As I recall some of the sets back in 2007 and earlier could only display 1080P by upconverting 1080i and 720P and lower to 1080P. However they could not take a native 1080P and display it. Such signals would need to be downconverted first. I know it sounds crazy. I'm pretty sure the earlier Sonys were build this way.

Dish giving you any PPV or VOD (HD) regardless TV capabilities - in 720p or 1080i if DRM requrement and 1080p24 doesn't work well.

Again - HDCP is high priority check ! Then follow check for 1080p24 if first one PASS.

Note, you can do 1080p via component cables too, without worrying about HDCP or handshake, etc., but note not many TV's support it. (My Pio Plasma does)

Interesting, could you provide details ? Is your DVR connected both HDMI and Component cable same time ? It could be two TV, most important is HDMI response for HDCP request.

Just a note for those not searching for the answers to this 1080p service and its issues:

0. Test process at first stage expect to obtain correct ( know, not invoked ) HDCP key from TV set. Then it should get positive HDCP handshake. Only after that EDID check will be constitute.

1. 1080p is a software mode enabled by Dish after a test is performed on your connected display. It will not appear in any menu.

2. The "test" performed is a little talk with the edid information your display provides and it is looking for proper 1080p/24 capability. Compatibility with a 1080p24 signal which is then changed to 60 / 120hz is not sufficient. Proper display at 24, 48, 72, 96, and 120hz may receive acceptance. Not all 120hz TVs arrive at 120hz by multiplying 24x5. Many change 24 to 60 and then multiply by 2. If your edid does not provide the information tested for, you don't get 1080p.

3. If you get the software switchover to 1080p, don't change the channel. You will lose the 1080p mode as the receiver switches back to 1080i. If you return to your movie, you will not be retested and will remain in 1080i.

These notes come from following the threads started months ago when this option was made available and the lengthy discussions that occcured afterwards.

There are no guarantees that this information is accurate, complete, or satisfactory.

YMMV

Last edited:
Add to that:

0. Test process at first stage expect to obtain correct ( know, not invoked ) HDCP key from TV set. Then it should get positive HDCP handshake. Only after that EDID check will be constitute.

Actually, that is NOT correct...
The ONLY difference between 1080P and 1080i is how it is displayed...
For example the receiver is CAPABLE of displaying 1080P @ 24hz and also displaying that same content @ 1080i and 60hz... the main difference are simply flags int he stream that tell the receiver HOW to organize the output.
You can take ANY progressive content , split it into fields and dbl the FPS and display it as interlaced.
Dvd has been doing it for years (Hence dvd players that offer progressive output)
you can do a lot of things to a video stream realtime...filtering the flags that control how the reciever puts the image together is relatively simple

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)