1080p trouble with the HR22

Status
Please reply by conversation.

codton

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Waterford, CT
Old Dish Network customer who switched over to D* last Thursday. I'm really excited to have it, and looking forward to March MegaMadness!

Anyway, I have a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p monitor. It works great for my needs. However, when I attempt to set my receiver to the 1080p resolution, the screen goes black and "HDMI No Signal" comes on the screen. There are 2 lights that light up simultaneously on the front of the receiver - both 720p and 1080i. After a moment, the screen returns and it states that my tv doesn't support DirecTV's 1080p resolution.

Why is this? I have an LG blu-ray player that works GREAT in 1080p, so it's not my monitor. Also, I can "trick" the receiver by pressing "INFO" when the screen goes black, and it comes back saying "Congratulations! Your tv supports 1080p". However, I downloaded a 1080p VOD the other day, and it wouldn't play it - the screen went black and it said "HDMI No Signal".

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Is it a problem with the HR-22 receiver? My tv is 60hz, does that matter? It supports 3:2 conversion pulldown (I read about that somewhere)....

The local installer is coming back tomorrow to check things out, but I'd appreciate any advice!

HELP!!

:confused:

The DirecTV receivers only do 1080p24, if your set doesn't suport that resolution then you can't get 1080p programming.

The DirecTV receivers only do 1080p24, if your set doesn't suport that resolution then you can't get 1080p programming.

I believe the "3:2 conversion pulldown" I mentioned is what covers that. I'm not a techie but I think it converts programs intended for 120hz (which I think 1080p24 is) and makes it work for 60hz. I called Westinghouse directly and the CS rep said that the TV should work with it...

I believe the "3:2 conversion pulldown" I mentioned is what covers that. I'm not a techie but I think it converts programs intended for 120hz (which I think 1080p24 is) and makes it work for 60hz. I called Westinghouse directly and the CS rep said that the TV should work with it...

Go to the search function, do a keyword search for iamanedgecutter and category all, it won't find anything but enables a new menu. Press MENU, then Parental, Fav's & Setup, then Miscellaneous Options, you will get a display that shows the TV supported resolutions, this is what the TV is telling the HR22 that it can support via the HDMI interface, if it doesn't show 1080p/24 it isn't supported.

Wow. Thanks for that piece of information! You obviously know these systems. It says it supports onnly 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p/60.

You mentioned "via the HDMI interface". Do you think it would work with another connection. I just tested a DVI port and no luck. What do you think about a component connection??

Wow. Thanks for that piece of information! You obviously know these systems. It says it supports onnly 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p/60.

You mentioned "via the HDMI interface". Do you think it would work with another connection. I just tested a DVI port and no luck. What do you think about a component connection??

1080p/24 will only work via HDMI, Hollywood wants to make sure all the content protection that HDMI has is used to stop people making copies. If you connect via component the HR22 won't even report the supported resolutions since there's no two way communication between your TV and the HR22.

Sorry to say but your SOL, nothing you can do except change the TV or get Westinghouse to fix it. The chipset used in the DirecTV boxes can only do 1080p/24 not 1080p/60. When this first came out there were a bunch of folks upset that their new 1080p HD set wouldn't work with the DirecTV receivers because they couldn't do 24, only 60.

BTW, do you know if you do the same type of keyword search using 30skip you can change the 30 second slip (where it shows you video while fast forwarding for 30 seconds) to an instant skip. If you don't like it the search for 30slip to put it back.

BTW, do you know if you do the same type of keyword search using 30skip you can change the 30 second slip (where it shows you video while fast forwarding for 30 seconds) to an instant skip. If you don't like it the search for 30slip to put it back.

Bummer about the 1080p but thanks for being so thorough with your explanation. As for the 30 second skip, I was JUST doing that not more than 10 minutes ago, and I wondered why I had to watch the video while jumping 30 seconds!

My DISH network receiver used to jump instantly and I liked that better, so thanks!:)

Any others you know about?

Bummer about the 1080p but thanks for being so thorough with your explanation. As for the 30 second skip, I was JUST doing that not more than 10 minutes ago, and I wondered why I had to watch the video while jumping 30 seconds!

My DISH network receiver used to jump instantly and I liked that better, so thanks!:)

Any others you know about?

Check out Undocumented HD-DVR+ Tips & Tricks - DBSTalk.Com for some more undocumented tricks and tips. Also don't forget to connect up that ethernet jack to your network so you can use DirecTV on Demand and TVApps. Also don't forget about DirecTV2PC, DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC. If your PC has the right hardware you can view recordings (not live TV) on your PC on your local network (not remotely via the internet).

Just got off the phone with Westinghouse. The LVM-37w3 officially does NOT support1080p/24. That is a reversal of the last time I talked with them!

Thanks, rad, you figured it out. I won't be able to download any 1080p VODs. I guess I'll save an extra $1! Too bad D* doesn't update their receivers to take these older models into consideration...

I only hope that if TV stations start broadcasting 1080p in the future, that D* will not broadcast those channels only in 24 fps. That would be a real shame.

Just got off the phone with Westinghouse. The LVM-37w3 officially does NOT support1080p/24. That is a reversal of the last time I talked with them!

Thanks, rad, you figured it out. I won't be able to download any 1080p VODs. I guess I'll save an extra $1! Too bad D* doesn't update their receivers to take these older models into consideration...

I only hope that if TV stations start broadcasting 1080p in the future, that D* will not broadcast those channels only in 24 fps. That would be a real shame.

Sorry it didn't work out. But you can still view the 1080p/24 PPV's on your set, the HR22 will just output it as a 1080i movie, and the price for 1080i and 1080p PPV's are the same.

As I said, the actual hardware in the receivers can't handle anything but 1080p/24 output so a software fix can't make 1080p/60 work.

1080p with HR21-100/LN46A550

Sorry to bump and old thread, but my problem is much like the OPs so I thought to add it here instead of adding another thread.

I have the hr21-100 and a sammy ln46a550. I ran the iamanedgecutter menu and it reports that the sammy is capable of accepting 1080i 1080p24 1080p60... when i tell the hr21 to output 1080p, the tv swtiches over to 1080p24 initially, however, within 5-10 seconds, it reverts back to 1080i (60).

is it because the signal (NFL on CBS) is not 1080p? or is my TV? or is it me? heh... basically, asking for some education from you pros.

thanks!
pete

Sorry to bump and old thread, but my problem is much like the OPs so I thought to add it here instead of adding another thread.

I have the hr21-100 and a sammy ln46a550. I ran the iamanedgecutter menu and it reports that the sammy is capable of accepting 1080i 1080p24 1080p60... when i tell the hr21 to output 1080p, the tv swtiches over to 1080p24 initially, however, within 5-10 seconds, it reverts back to 1080i (60).

is it because the signal (NFL on CBS) is not 1080p? or is my TV? or is it me? heh... basically, asking for some education from you pros.

thanks!
pete

All of the broadcast HD stations are either 720p or 1080i (CBS is 1080i). Only On Demand uses 1080p and most of that content is PPV (you can watch the first few minutes for free).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)