1080P Video On Demand a JOKE

Dishcomm, the problem is, I don't get the movie to select to begin with, tons of movies on 501, but only one time was I able to rent and view a 1080p movie. And to those claiming the quality isn't there, check it out for yourself, the quality is definately there.

Do you have your receiver hooked up by ethernet to phone home to Dish? From what I've read when others have done that, the 1080p movies stopped downloading. As soon as they turned off the network connection and went back to a phone connection, the downloads returned to 501.

Sorry if you have already commented on this as I skimmed through the thread quickly trying to avoid the noise and get to a solution.

:D

I think the first movie in 1080P was I AM LEGEND. It took me FOREVER to get that movie. There was something like 2 days left before I finally got it.

(I did watch it though - Quality was amazing - enjoyed the movie too.)

The next one I watched was 10KBC (10000BC). Movie was so, so, but again the quality of the movie was great.

I will usually get the emails that state, India Jones in 1080P now available ... it always takes me a good week or two into the offer though before I finally get it downloaded.

As recommended earlier:

1. Make sure your receiver is off at night.
2. Make sure your receiver is plugged into your phone line.
3. Make sure you have no timers running at night.

( I was itching to watch Indy the other night in 1080P ... however ... the wife STRONGLY suggested that if I waited another week or so I would be able to watch it in 1080P as many times as I wanted to ... don't have a blu-ray player ... don't have the movie in blu-ray ... wonder what she could mean ... ;) )

rglore said:
It can have the same bitrate since it's downloaded to the hard disk prior to being viewed. Dish can take as long as necessary to send it.

The E* 1080p VOD stuff could have the same bit rate. But that is no guarantee that it does.

Odds are the bit rate is significantly lower. Since all the other HD VOD services are bit starved I would not be surprised to see the service from E* being bit starved either. 1080p does not necessarily translate to high bit rate. You can have very severe video compression and still be delivering "1080p."

There is a strong financial incentive to increasing compression rates on VOD downloading services. It costs a lot more to stream true BD quality video running in the 20Mbps-40Mbps range than it does to cut that compression level in half and still have something that isn't so marred by macroblocking and fuzzy detail.

On the audio end of things, Blu-ray is the only one delivering multichannel Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Everybody else is just doing lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 -and some are only delivering Dolby Digital 2.0.

rglore said:
I've read reviews saying the quality is indeed equal to Blu-ray.

I've seen people try to claim Apple TV's HD offerings are just as good as Blu-ray when in truth those severely compressed 720p movies are really barely any better than 480p DVD. Depending on how detailed the review is in really breaking down the specifics some can be pretty credible while others sound like overblown puffy hyperbole.

Last edited:
Do you have your receiver hooked up by ethernet to phone home to Dish? From what I've read when others have done that, the 1080p movies stopped downloading. As soon as they turned off the network connection and went back to a phone connection, the downloads returned to 501.

Sorry if you have already commented on this as I skimmed through the thread quickly trying to avoid the noise and get to a solution.

:D

Tested on 622 connected to Internet/no phone line - no issues with 1080p [501];
other 722 tested - no connections at all, only sat inputs - got overnight latest 1080p movie and bunch other HD on 501 list.

The E* 1080p VOD stuff could have the same bit rate. But that is no guarantee that it does.

Odds are the bit rate is significantly lower. Since all the other HD VOD services are bit starved I would not be surprised to see the service from E* being bit starved either. 1080p does not necessarily translate to high bit rate. You can have very severe video compression and still be delivering "1080p."

There is a strong financial incentive to increasing compression rates on VOD downloading services. It costs a lot more to stream true BD quality video running in the 20Mbps-40Mbps range than it does to cut that compression level in half and still have something that isn't so marred by macroblocking and fuzzy detail.

On the audio end of things, Blu-ray is the only one delivering multichannel Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Everybody else is just doing lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 -and some are only delivering Dolby Digital 2.0.

I've seen people try to claim Apple TV's HD offerings are just as good as Blu-ray when in truth those severely compressed 720p movies are really barely any better than 480p DVD. Depending on how detailed the review is in really breaking down the specifics some can be pretty credible while others sound like overblown puffy hyperbole.

I posted in other thread [why we need keep this one and should repeat same rumors and speculations ?] - one of the 1080p movie play at 15 Mbps CBR.

My problem with 1080p is that I bought a pair of 1080p Sony Bravias. Have one hooked up to a 622 and the other to a 722. So far, they both fail the 1080p test. Can't download any 1080p content.
Huh... should have bought an off brand...
Mike

My problem with 1080p is that I bought a pair of 1080p Sony Bravias. Have one hooked up to a 622 and the other to a 722. So far, they both fail the 1080p test. Can't download any 1080p content.
Mike

Sony has that habit of doing things their own way regardless of the agreed standards. Consequently, it is no surprise that when the Dish receiver asks for the edid information in the HDMI handshake, the Sony display resonse is not in the correct format and fails the test.

Mike

Non-related events. Looks elsewhere for a reason why 1080p movie doesn't appear on 501.