1080p vs 1080i question

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Ok, thinking about taking advantage of the rock bottom prices to add a second HD DVD player. How much of a meaningful difference is there between the 1080p and 1080i players?

This is a forward-looking question, as I am planning on getting a 1080p HDTV in the next five or six months.

Has anyone compared side by side 1080i to 1080p on HD DVD?

It depends how good your TV is. A quality TV can properly convert the 1080i to 1080p without any issues. The main hang up right now is that a lot of TVs have trouble detecting 24p from 1080i and doing proper things with it (if they have 120HZ refresh).

Check out your TV on cnet. They test for it. Most TV fail though...

Fail is a harse word. Lets say most do it, but most will have some artifacts on various test patterns. Most people do not watch test patterns, so will not notice odd artifacts generated by TVs like a jagged edge on a waving flag.

It depends how good your TV is. A quality TV can properly convert the 1080i to 1080p without any issues. The main hang up right now is that a lot of TVs have trouble detecting 24p from 1080i and doing proper things with it (if they have 120HZ refresh).

Check out your TV on cnet. They test for it. Most TV fail though...

Fail is a harse word. Lets say most do it, but most will have some artifacts on various test patterns. Most people do not watch test patterns, so will not notice odd artifacts generated by TVs like a jagged edge on a waving flag.

BINGO!!

I happened to be in BB the other day when I looked over the shoulder of a customer getting a demonstration of the 60Hz vs. 120Hz difference. They had a 1080p source into a 1080p capable TV, 32" LCD IIRC. (I don't know what the source was, "TV" or 24fps movie.) The demo was a split screen that said "120Hz On" on one side and "120Hz Off" on the other. It was presenting several slowly moving objects as they changed from one side to the other. None was rapid, and some text was included. In every case the "Off" side showed a softer or blurrier (is that a word?) image of the moving parts vs. the "On" side that was crisp and detailed. The still parts of the image were equally crisp on both sides - only the moving parts showed the blurriness. Has anyone else seen this demo at BB ??

The difference was impressive, but I think it might have been staged quite a bit! There was no evidence that I could see of "judder" (which in my understanding is the real consequence of the 3:2 pull-down of 24fps movie content with 60Hz refresh) unless that very bluriness is judder. However, I have a 52" p-capable TV (i.e., no conversion needed for a p source) with only 60Hz refresh and I have never seen an HD image that looked that "soft", when moving vs. crisp when still, even at the larger size. I have to admit, I really don't know what judder is first hand as I don't think I have ever seen it unless I just did at BB and didn't know it. If it's something else, it doesn't cause a negative reaction in me. I guess I would need someone to point judder out to me. Maybe that's what the guy at BB was doing, but again, I think it was exaggerated.

The point is with p-capable equipment I think the real issue is with judder in the 60- or perhaps even 72-Hz refresh rates. Per the first article teamerickson linked, there is no difference in the content and as long as you're not doing any conversions then what you see resolution wise, i vs. p, is identical. My 1080i-only A2 looks great on that TV, and from what I have learned even if it output p there would be no discernible difference in resolution. It all comes down to whatever advantage 120-Hz refresh rate gives you...

Last edited:
Based on my experience, I found 1080i similar to 720p.

If you are going to get 1080P HDTV, then try to get 1080P supported devices. For example, PS3 supports 1080P. Home theater system that supports 1080P. HD players that support 1080P.

I have played a regular DVD on PS3 system and it upgraded to 1080P. I found the picture to be better.

Prices are dropping, but expect to pay more for 1080P enabled or supported devices vs 1080i/or 720P.

Last edited:
The demo was a split screen that said "120Hz On" on one side and "120Hz Off" on the other.
Obviously you can't change the refresh rate one only one half of the screen, so at best they were displaying a "simulated" demo. For which they undoubtedly chose the worst possible example they could conjure up in order to sell you on the need for their more expensive model.

I wouldn't waste time worrying about 1080i vs 1080p peripherals myself. I imagine your new TV will do just fine.

I appreciate all the comments, and feedback. Its good to know that its not that big of a deal; so if anything I might be best just getting a second 1080i/720p HD DVD player on the cheap. I know that would fly with the wife much more than a more expensive one would. Then again, I may not need anything at all. :)

I will say I am very happy with 1080i on the tv I have now, the HD DVDs look great.

Obviously you can't change the refresh rate one only one half of the screen, so at best they were displaying a "simulated" demo. For which they undoubtedly chose the worst possible example they could conjure up in order to sell you on the need for their more expensive model.

I wouldn't waste time worrying about 1080i vs 1080p peripherals myself. I imagine your new TV will do just fine.
Obviously a good point! I think I'll ask for that demonstration next time I'm in then pose that to them and see how they answer !!

I rushed into the XBR2 (good deal on a close-out) knowing the XBR4s were on the way. The refresh rate and higher contrast ratio were the big differences. I guess I'm still trying to soften the blow. I've only had the 2 for about 6 months and already the 4s are priced even lower...! I don't have any problem enjoying the 2. I guess I just wonder how much greener the grass is...

I'll wait until 60" LCDs are available before I consider my next move.

rockymtnhigh said:
...I will say I am very happy with 1080i on the tv I have now, the HD DVDs look great.
Echo that...!

Tks all and BRgds...

I think the question of another player is moot, as I am getting bad vibes from my wife -- she says, why are you buying HD DVD when its being phased out?

Geez, I think she is a closet smurf. ;) :D

At least she is supportive of the new tv... once we move, anyway. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts